Too late to get a plot going in Northeast Ohio

John D

I've got a new home that we just put the septic area in. The area is about a half acre and perfect for a food plot. We even imported topsoil and the remainder of soil looks pretty good as it was a cleared wooded area.

I had pretty good luck planting ladino clover and oats this spring on the same property. Is it too late to plant the same thing in this septic area? I really want to get something planted as the area is freshly graded and has topsoil spread. Should I try planting something else instead?

not too late at all...depends what your goals will be......Most of my food plots in spring time are simply summer cover crops like buckwheat, clover, maybe oats....bigger plots/fields soybeans/corn. I would encourage buckwheat get that going as makes great fertilizer, grows quick, shades out weeds and then come august chop it down and replant for fall hunting with your brassicas, winter rye, general food plot mixes.

Also, if you want to keep something through fall and only plant once, a lot of times in early june here i'll plant sugar beets which some of my most sought after plots were sugar beets well into the fall. I don't like to start them in may as i like the big ag fields to go in first and get deer summer feeding routes established on soybean fields so they do not wipe out the beets, don't want to wait until july as risk drought/heat, august is too late get to full maturity.

I’d try getting Buckwheat in immediately, and then do a rye, wheat or triticale/clover plot in early September. By the way, have you checked ph? Around here, converted woods tend to be very acidic.

Consider including some brassica in mix, this is a planting that can endure some heat and dry spells. I've had some great successes with planting brassica in midjune. IMO clover this time of year is a waste of seed, and sugar beets take very good soil conditions to grow.

I can tell that in S.C. converted woods need a boat load of lime. The Clemson agent to me that I needed seven tons per acre.

Back