The Shed

badgerfowl

Parents purchased a new property this summer closer to their home. Still have the river bottom land we’ve had for years but now have 30 acres in the hills of south central Wisconsin. Old place is a 40 minute drive and the new place is 7. Good area with a high deer population and bigger bucks than we’re used to.

It’s an L shaped parcel with a 30x44 red shed on it.

House and barn are on the neighbors.

4bbf9bb82f6a9bb9386d8f58a79c923b.jpg

Pic of the shed this fall in early November.

aa9776586f75f159f60946486616b5d7.jpg

Turkeys don’t mind the shed.

a25aaa0de1e65bc1dbd71db4374432c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted the new place as much as possible including the first 10 days of November, which felt like the middle of winter with 6” of snow and temps as low as 2 degrees. From bow season through opening weekend of gun season only had one sit with zero deer seen. Typically saw 15-20 deer a day during my week+ rut hunt in early November. That all came and went without a shot opportunity. Saw plenty of deer and some nice bucks but just didn’t have any quite within range.

Decided to take the following Friday afternoon off (11/15) and give it a good weekend try. Didn’t see a deer until 4:40pm, 20 minutes prior to shooting hours and spotted a 10 pointer up the hill. He came right down one of the atv trails right by my stand at 20 yards. Made a good shot and he ran about 80 yards and tipped over. Unofficial score of 118 4/8”, an inch shy of my personal best. I think this will be the floor for this new property. During the summer and fall we saw or had pics of at least 7 bucks that were as big or bigger. I saw one that would probably go 150” twice this fall about 1/4 mile away. Pretty good potential in the area.

a8aaf8513e354a623d04262965b82256.jpg
a2f53f519c2fda3f32392ce20b6786ee.jpg

Parents purchased a new property this summer closer to their home. Still have the river bottom land we’ve had for years but now have 30 acres in the hills of south central Wisconsin. Old place is a 40 minute drive and the new place is 7. Good area with a high deer population and bigger bucks than we’re used to.

It’s an L shaped parcel with a 30x44 red shed on it.

House and barn are on the neighbors.

4bbf9bb82f6a9bb9386d8f58a79c923b.jpg

Pic of the shed this fall in early November.

aa9776586f75f159f60946486616b5d7.jpg

Turkeys don’t mind the shed.

a25aaa0de1e65bc1dbd71db4374432c8.jpg

Looks like a great place and I am not sure I would call that a shed...lol.

Looks like a great place and I am not sure I would call that a shed...lol.

It’s been great so far. We couldn’t call it “the land” as that was already taken by the old place. This has a nice pole shed so “the shed” it is! :)

there’s also a small living space inside with a bunk bed, oven, and fridge. We’ve got electricity but no water. Dirt floor in the shed. Maybe someday we’ll get a slab in there. There’s about 5 acres of open grassland to mow so they got a little SCUT for that. It’s fun to get some seat time on that but it took awhile to get used to riding it on the hilly terrain. Definitely used to flatland.

Don’t think previous owners hunted all that much but the place has been logged regularly and is nice and thick in spots. Biggest hurdle has been finding trees for stands. Trails like cattle paths and the deer actually use them unlike our river bottom ground. Learned a bunch this fall and will make some minor tweaks and hang a couple more stands. Only put 3 up this year.

Got a couple hundred pine trees on order for spring and a few apples. Don’t need to do a ton of habitat stuff but will focus mainly on food since cover is really good. Some small kill plots are on the list. Didn’t close on the place until mid July so I had limited time this summer but did manage to get a small brassica plot in to see if the deer liked it. They did.

What kind of mower do you have for that tractor BF?

It's a JD 1025R with a 54" belly mower. Also have a 48" rear bushhog type mower but never used that yet. May trade it in for a rear tiller. My dad wants a garden this year. Could also use it for food plots.

Looks like an older deer and looks bigger than 118

Couldn’t squeeze any more out of him. Measured him on the trailer the night of and a week later when I got the euro mount back. Couple measurements changed slightly but still added up to the same number. 14.5” spread. Tines weren’t really long though. Longest was 6” iirc. Had nice mass. The thickest one I’ve shot.

As far as age I’m guessing 3.5. I’m still trying to figure out how quickly they get big at this place as compared to our river bottom land. They take forever to get big there. My dad shot one at our river bottom place and it was 25 inches smaller but I’m guessing the same age, 3.5.

My parents hunted this same county in the 70’s/80’s and the couple they shot back then had better mass than the river bottom bucks ever did.

It’s been great so far. We couldn’t call it “the land” as that was already taken by the old place. This has a nice pole shed so “the shed” it is! :)

there’s also a small living space inside with a bunk bed, oven, and fridge. We’ve got electricity but no water. Dirt floor in the shed. Maybe someday we’ll get a slab in there. There’s about 5 acres of open grassland to mow so they got a little SCUT for that. It’s fun to get some seat time on that but it took awhile to get used to riding it on the hilly terrain. Definitely used to flatland.

Don’t think previous owners hunted all that much but the place has been logged regularly and is nice and thick in spots. Biggest hurdle has been finding trees for stands. Trails like cattle paths and the deer actually use them unlike our river bottom ground. Learned a bunch this fall and will make some minor tweaks and hang a couple more stands. Only put 3 up this year.

Got a couple hundred pine trees on order for spring and a few apples. Don’t need to do a ton of habitat stuff but will focus mainly on food since cover is really good. Some small kill plots are on the list. Didn’t close on the place until mid July so I had limited time this summer but did manage to get a small brassica plot in to see if the deer liked it. They did.
Good to see some central WI hunters!...not far from myself just county or 2 over. Sauk county is a great county, bucks can get really big around there. Hopefully CWD doesn't ruin that area, IA & Sauk county #s are starting to get high in small pockets. Definitely a Cleary building they always look awesome.

I would have said at first glance of just the rack without a good belly photo 2.5 year old for that area and just going off what i normally see by me, that area soil is very rich and some good genetics rolling around, to see a 130" 2.5 year old is not overly uncommon. Small brows like that would also lead me to think 2.5, 3.5 is possible.

Should be a nice property

Good to see some central WI hunters!...not far from myself just county or 2 over. Sauk county is a great county, bucks can get really big around there. Hopefully CWD doesn't ruin that area, IA & Sauk county #s are starting to get high in small pockets. Definitely a Cleary building they always look awesome.

I would have said at first glance of just the rack without a good belly photo 2.5 year old for that area and just going off what i normally see by me, that area soil is very rich and some good genetics rolling around, to see a 130" 2.5 year old is not overly uncommon. Small brows like that would also lead me to think 2.5, 3.5 is possible.

Should be a nice property

We had plenty of spikes on camera (1.5 for sure), half a dozen 8 pointers with 10-13 inch spreads (less than 100”) (2.5 is my guess), then another half dozen similar to what I shot. 8’s, 9’s, and 10’s with 14-16” spreads in the 110’s to 120’s (3.5 is my guess). There are bigger ones in the area but I never got them on camera. It’s a great area for sure. Our river bottom land is in Juneau Co.

What county are you in?

We had plenty of spikes on camera (1.5 for sure), half a dozen 8 pointers with 10-13 inch spreads (less than 100”) (2.5 is my guess), then another half dozen similar to what I shot. 8’s, 9’s, and 10’s with 14-16” spreads in the 110’s to 120’s (3.5 is my guess). There are bigger ones in the area but I never got them on camera. It’s a great area for sure. Our river bottom land is in Juneau Co.

What county are you in?

SE Marathon County. Loved your comment on the cold early November. Glad I wasn't only one wondering if I was going to have to have someone pry me off the stand. Was crazy year weather wise

SE Marathon County. Loved your comment on the cold early November. Glad I wasn't only one wondering if I was going to have to have someone pry me off the stand. Was crazy year weather wise

Heater body suit! Saved my ass a couple times this fall, mainly during gun season. Used it one afternoon bow hunting. Thing works. Didn’t mind the snow but the cold could certainly kiss off that early.

Back