Bear Creek. "120 Acres Mena Arkansas

Bfree

Back in 2008 when the stock market crashed so did my 401K, I took a big hit like many others around the country. I knew then not to depend on that as my sole retirement plan. I started looking for land, I looked all over from Tennessee, to Colorado and every where in between. In 2009, I was on an elk hunt in Colorado with a buddy of mine when I got High Altitude Sickness and ended up in the hospital for the next 4 days. That ruled out Colorado for me. So I started looking more closer to home (Louisiana). My wants were with in a days drive, marketable timber, a year round creek, remote, and close to Nat'l Forest. I found a 60 acre plot near Mena Ark., and I watched it be up for sale for nearly 2 years. I finally inquired about as to why it never sold. I was told that it had no deeded access and was very remote with 4 wheel drive access only. We drove up and toured it, the real estate man was right, very remote and difficult access and the roads were barely passable. I loved it, it met all my wants and desires in a piece of property. Remote, lots of timber, and a year around creek that has national forest access from it, but the real estate agent warned us, NO deeded access, however Ark. law states that if a road or access is in existence for more than 5 years, then you must be granted access to your property. We rolled the dice, because it was exactly what we wanted. So my wife and I discussed it and decided that we wanted to invest in it,

After we purchased that 60 acres I had a dozer come in and put a few access trails in and cut some fire lanes. I also had an area cleared for a future cabin, and at that time we put a 20x40 barn on it along with a water well. There was another 60 that ran contiguous with mine, that I told the real estate guy that if it comes up for sale to please let me know. Well 2 years later it did and we purchased that piece. (BTW, when we purchased the new 60 we were able to get deeded access from the county road all the way to through the existing 60 and now to the new 60, so no more worries about access).

Over the years, Ive had lots of dozer work done, and trails put in for recreational use and more future cabin areas. It's now been 7 years since we purchased the original 60 and I have intentionally not hunted it, only used it for recreational purposes! However every year I have added more access roads and put up deer stands so that one day I will be able to hunt it. The deer are used to me driving around on my SXS. I can get with in about 20 yards away from them before they move, I believe its because they are not pressured and they are used to my presence in the woods. This will be my 1st year to hunt it.

Last Sept. 2017, I found a repo'd 12x40 Cabin with the electrical wires already put in it. I had it delivered from Louisiana and placed in an area that my wife thought was the best view. Over the past year, Ive been working on it, to get it livable. I finally hired a contractor to finish it out and this past weekend was our 1st full weekend to stay in it. Just in time for our 30th anniversary.

Attachments

• KIMG0733.jpg
    KIMG0733.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Our view from our Cabin!
125 Acres land with a view .jpg

Trying to get that 12x40 up to the view! IT took us 4 hrs to go 2 miles and we had to put in new roads! Thats my truck!
125 Acres land with new roads installed.jpg

Finally to the top! 4 hrs later!
125 Acres land bringing the cabin up and putting it in place.jpg

That's my wife and yes that's a 6 foot drop on pier and beams. I can walk underneath it! This was my attempt to secure it until we could get a contractor up to finish the project out!
125 Acres land with cabin in place and Sherry in front last winter 2018.jpg

This is about 3 months ago! The contractor built us a nice stable place to call a home away from home. The porch is 40x8x20 foot deep across the end! The area under the porch is now screened in! 125 Acres land with cabin in place and front porch.jpg

Now the finished inside! We love it! That's a pic of the kitchen and bathroom and lofted area. Not pictured behind me is the 12x12 Master bedroom125 Acres land with cabin in place and finished interior.jpg

Yesterday enjoying a nice adult beverage and celebrating our 30th Anniversary!
120 acres enjoying the fruits of our labor.jpg

Attachments

• 125 Acres land bringing the cabin up.jpg
    125 Acres land bringing the cabin up.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great place! Cabin really turned out nice - and a great view. Some great country around Mena. I am about 90 miles south of you. Have a bear lease 25 miles from you.

30 years? Were you married when you were six? Lousianas are weird.

Awesome post. Great place. Took a chance and it worked out. Nothin better than that!! Congrats!

Great place! Cabin really turned out nice - and a great view. Some great country around Mena. I am about 90 miles south of you. Have a bear lease 25 miles from you.
Thanks for comment! We have lots of bears around us! I am probably going to hunt them this year too! My neighbor has a pic of a boar thats looking over into a deer feeder that is about 7 foot tall. The next pic is the feeder turned over and him eating all that corn! We call him big boy!

30 years? Were you married when you were six? Lousianas are weird.

Awesome post. Great place. Took a chance and it worked out. Nothin better than that!! Congrats!

Thanks for comments! Yes 30 years of marriage, Im 52 and my wife is 50!

Thanks for comment! We have lots of bears around us! I am probably going to hunt them this year too! My neighbor has a pic of a boar thats looking over into a deer feeder that is about 7 foot tall. The next pic is the feeder turned over and him eating all that corn! We call him big boy!

Hope those bears dont take a liking to your cabin when you are gone;)

Dang Bfree...Felt like I was reading my own story! Great looking cabin and great looking couple. Congrats on 30 yrs together! Look forward to following along on your land journey.

Great story and should be a good thread ride. Thanks for showing. And dang, that southern air sure kept you guys young looking. Notice I never show my wrinkled old ass on camera on my thread, except at halloween. Good luck on season.

You likened the land investment to retirement savings. Do you plan to sell it for cash in retirement?

That was the original goal, buy it, put some improvements on it and sale it for retirement. This areas land value has greatly increased over the past several years, I think mostly due to its recreational value and remoteness for preppers and survivalist. So to answer your question, No immediate plans to sale, but who knows in 10-15 yrs.

I would if I had some camera's out. I hunt old school, build most of my deer stands by hand out of wood! I like to find old cedar fence thats being discarded and use that and other reclaimed wood. I also like to hunt naturally without any food plots (I am interested in putting some plots in though, will probably do that over the next couple of weeks) or food sources i.e. corn feeders, although i do own 4 of them, I just quit using them years ago. It makes it more challenging, this maybe why I don't have alot of trophy's on the wall. I try to hunt using only the signs that woods provide.

Whatever floats your boat buddy, but we still like to see pictures of deer. Who cares if they're "monsters" or not.

Here ya go! A pic I took from my cell phone while sitting in my SXS! My stand is about 20 yards on the other side of this big Nanny! Her 2 yearlings are just off to the left!

deer pic.JPG

Last edited:
That's what I'm talking about. She looks to be in really good shape. That's a northern red oak sapling in the foreground. Those are always good to have.

Back