The Land of Milk and Honey

I have a little one acre plot beside my house that is hard fenced and I turn cows into it just like you suggest. Hard to beat a wheat, oats, rye grain, radish, clover mix for cattle. My cows haven’t showed interest in turnips other than the tops but will eat the radishes. What’s your goal for spring/summer for this area?

Buckwheat? I’m not sure. I am interested in keeping the ground covered and the cattle will be out of it around May. Open to anything really. Would letting rye mature out and then plant back into it the following fall be a bad idea? Maybe burn off the residue and dove hunt over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The “release” mixes from green cover really interest me, but I’m not sure if that whole system can sustain by broadcasting and mowing/rolling only. I don’t have a no-till drill. I’d rather not till, but if I had to occasionally it would be doable.

Buckwheat? I’m not sure. I am interested in keeping the ground covered and the cattle will be out of it around May. Open to anything really. Would letting rye mature out and then plant back into it the following fall be a bad idea? Maybe burn off the residue and dove hunt over it.

Catscratch does something like this with their wheat plot for doves; meaning the burning part and later replanting.

The “release” mixes from green cover really interest me, but I’m not sure if that whole system can sustain by broadcasting and mowing/rolling only. I don’t have a no-till drill. I’d rather not till, but if I had to occasionally it would be doable.

Add hairy vetch to the mix as well on my post earlier. The green cover mixes interest me too but they are overpriced. You can make plantings as complex or as easy as you wish. I add a lot more types of plants to my mix for a deer draw. Neighbor down the road let a field go to seed, then cut it, raked it into windrows and the burned the windrows and it was covered up with a couple hundred doves using it for about 2-3 weeks.

120 yards behind the house. If only it were rifle season.
9f8c3b7b0d3a92c3d8ae016e2053af96.jpg

Well, the deer in the above picture is dead. Nobody knows where, but he is dead. The outfitter next door put a new tree stand in our fence and some guy from Maryland gut shot it. After a couple hours searching our place in the dark with a dog, they gave up. Makes me sick……….

Well, the deer in the above picture is dead. Nobody knows where, but he is dead. The outfitter next door put a new tree stand in our fence and some guy from Maryland gut shot it. After a couple hours searching our place in the dark with a dog, they gave up. Makes me sick……….

I despise fence sitters! They will see how much I despise them Saturday morning. Sorry to hear about the deer...I am sure it is a real gut punch right now.

Sorry for your loss.

G

Sorry to here. I make a point of informing fence sitters if they shoot onto my land or step foot even to track an animal, they will face legal repercussions. I’ve put signs up informing them of this facing they’re stand and have covered the boundaries with cameras, some hidden and some not. Sadly, I’ve had to turn into the resident asshole to try to mitigate the trespassing, theft and safety concerns (I had to hit the deck one season because bullets were flying over our head that were shot by trespassers). The worst have finally got the message….but I’m sure I’ll have some aggravation this weekend when rifle opens up.

Sorry to here. I make a point of informing fence sitters if they shoot onto my land or step foot even to track an animal, they will face legal repercussions. I’ve put signs up informing them of this facing they’re stand and have covered the boundaries with cameras, some hidden and some not. Sadly, I’ve had to turn into the resident asshole to try to mitigate the trespassing, theft and safety concerns (I had to hit the deck one season because bullets were flying over our head that were shot by trespassers). The worst have finally got the message….but I’m sure I’ll have some aggravation this weekend when rifle opens up.
I just found a blind put up a couple days ago right across my north fence facing directly into my property. I went and got my dozer from our other property and today I am dozing some along my side directly in front of that blind and leaving the dozer there. Rifle opens in the morning…they have 230 wooded acres with hundreds of stand/blind options yet our fence is the spot I guess..

I am starting the transition of one of our bottom fields from brome to something more useful. It’s a little hard to tell, but I mowed the outline of the future plot.
52815ee5d43c31cefe146460f5322559.jpg

This allowed for several things. First it allowed dad and I to see the plan before committing to anything permanent. We both like it. As outlined, the red line is the mowed path. The two yellow dots are high spots with slopes I stayed away from since I will have to rely on conventional methods for a while. The blue line is a saddle between the high spots where the land slopes away from both ways with the lower left eventually exiting the field to the upper left. The creek flows from lower left to upper left and then to the upper right. You can see our new blind on the far edge of the field.
bbe31078e1c4651ab9b85a1d43864ed9.jpg

I wanted to leave buffers around all the edges. They will stay brome for now, but eventually I hope to plant to NWSG. Now the mowed path I intend to spray with roundup to try and kill yet this fall. I would then disc the path to create a fire break. Perhaps in February I will burn the field inside the fire break and wait for new growth to treat with roundup as well. I have already collected soil samples to send off this week. Dad would like to plant this to soybeans. I would like a mix, but I am letting him drive the ship. I would overseed with rye at the first sign of a yellow leaf next fall and go from there. Thoughts? I know I should have already killed the brome, but I got permission to do this a little late.

Back