The Land of Milk and Honey

I’m calling shed season a wrap. 4 ticks yesterday, but I found number 70. Almost 30 more than we have ever found before. Some tanks too. As I type this, the neighbor is burning near 1000 acres that will surely reveal some sheds. I’ll have to check that out some other day. Cheers!
77ae778269ba730beb028a3d5d8fd56b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac32ac7ebc9be32ba929d1ed37ec31c9.jpg

Won an online auction for this guy on Wednesday. Should be a project. . In my efforts to buy land I may need to go through the FSA. In that case I will have to be a “producer” so I figured I better start learning. Price was right so I can’t really go wrong.

Friend of mine just bought an 80 through USDA,it got done but they were slow

I have been in contact with them already. They said that will help. But like any other gov agency, efficiency is not their strong suit.

58b77b02722a1f2fe83e53ca04c402f1.jpg

Beans looking a little splotchy, but considering the drought I’ll take it. The plan is to overseed with a brassica, clover, grain mix this fall. You can see a deer feeding in it actually. Kind of a big field to bow hunt, but you can see the redneck in the upper left if you zoom in. Should be a good spot to take the old man during rifle season.

Beans are looking really good despite the continued lack of rain. They are in full bloom. .6” of rain last night should serve them well. My plan is to spread brassicas in the next week weather permitting. I have tended to have more success planting them later. We will see. Here you can see the redneck in the corner ready for this fall.
bce176733f021ed5cad3b607a4655c6c.jpg

I was hoping you got some of that rain, still dry as a bone down here. Slight chance the next couple days.

Drone shows a dozen deer feeding tonight. I am pleased with how well they hold on under that kind of pressure combined with the drought. Soybeans are becoming an instant favorite.
19f0dfad2eef75994bf5857c232f8b78.jpg

Nice. How high do you have to fly for the deer not to be affected by the drone? That would be a cool gadget to have someday.

Nice. How high do you have to fly for the deer not to be affected by the drone? That would be a cool gadget to have someday.

I was about 200’ up. Because of the terrain, I couldn’t go much lower anyway. I went down maybe 20’ and they picked their heads up. They weren’t alarmed though. I left them so I wouldn’t spook them.

About a week ago I overseeded the plot with a mix of brassicas after looking at the forecast. Like a dummy, I didn't see that the long term forecast would put Kansas in a literal oven for 2 weeks. Hoping they didn't germinate, but either way I will overseed with grains in about 3 weeks. I am really having fun plotting on a little larger scale this year. Browse pressure really takes a hit on the small plots and I feel like I am having more success this year.

I mowed the remaining brome around the perimeter of my 3-1/2 acre bean field today. The hope is that if it ever rains again the brome will green up. Then after a frost or two I will hit with gly. The plan is to drill NWSG in it next spring. This is the widest spot, most of the field has a 10-15 yard buffer strip. 2 to 2-1/2 acres total.
5999e027580d1db63241a5ba96686c1e.jpg

Took the drone up this morning for a better view of the mowed buffer strip. Most of the deer come from the right (South). Should be a nice look when it’s done.
9516ceaa35a90381456d5d120a10c3be.jpg

Here is a look at my OG foodplot with respect to the new bean field. Here you can see the new bean field, another bottom field I would like to do some work on in the future, my brushy hillside and the old foodplot above. The upper right corner of the old foodplot is where I plan to plant some more mast trees. Where the road cuts it off.
17b097ef5f7fe7f26e3b2ccb41187770.jpg

Here is a look at my OG foodplot with respect to the new bean field. Here you can see the new bean field, another bottom field I would like to do some work on in the future, my brushy hillside and the old foodplot above. The upper right corner of the old foodplot is where I plan to plant some more mast trees. Where the road cuts it off.
17b097ef5f7fe7f26e3b2ccb41187770.jpg

Something I hadn't noticed in the bottom right. That is an area of creek bottom that was HEAVILY canopied with elm and hackberry. It looks like the big old elm finally fell. It was far too big for my chainsaw so I girdled it and hit it with Tordon. I love this drone.... :)

Took advantage of the cool day, and the fact I am sick to install a scrape post by my Redneck blind. The old man ran the auger and we got it just right so far as I can tell. 30 yards from the blind. It will be fun to see how it works.
7ab1d1e263919367a4e931609ce264d5.jpg

Back