The Land of Milk and Honey

I have begun the process of ordering trees to turn the original food plot into an orchard of sorts. The different lines represent different tree species. I am thinking orange is persimmon (as I already have a few planted and they are even producing!), red is apples and blue is chestnut. With good spacing allowance I can still fit 25 persimmon, 15 apple, and 15 chestnuts. The long plan is to transition the area just North of this to better bedding. You can see part of it was farmed in a previous generation and needs to be replanted back to natives. My hope is it becomes better for deer and the orchard and brushy hillside below will become a good transition down to my food plots in the bottoms.
KSGEAR23 (1).jpg

Looks good. I first thought that the chestnuts might shade some of the apples on afternoon sun, but I think you probably have them far enough apart. Good luck.

I was reminded that I should probably include pears in my planting, so I may swap the chestnuts for pears and find them a new home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reminded that I should probably include pears in my planting, so I may swap the chestnuts for pears and find them a new home.

That's a great idea to add pears. A few days ago, Blue Hill still had some available for delivery next spring. You might check and see if they have any left.

You’re a glutton for punishment, this coming from a fella who is TIRED of watering trees.

Sprayed brome yesterday in preparation for my NWSG buffer planting next spring. We had 2 hard freezes and I wanted to get it done before all the leaves fell and covered everything.
8f86b0234f07592b07ad048d5a2879db.jpg

I have played cat and mouse with my heartthrob for the last week plus. Only hunted three times when the wind was right for my field. Saw him once in the field and he didn’t close the distance. With the warm weather he has started coming out late at night again. We have seen him twice while checking cows and he is a regular on the cams. I’m hoping my patience pays off. He is something special.
cdd55fe51103145c23ce8f29e6a33732.jpg

b885446788463b57596dc1ed6e253a35.jpg

I know what you mean,I too am hunting a NT I passed 3 times last year and have seen once this year.he to has started coming out at night with temps in the high 70s.Good luck

We drove down to the plot today. The wife suggested I take a couple progress pics since the change is noticeable. Here are 2 pics. The first is where I sprayed the future buffer strip on the South edge of my bean field. The second is the North edge where my sprayer ran out. Still green if you zoom in. The plan is to hit this all again with gly and Plateau around May 1st. Again, not sure when I get to rent the drill, but a mix of Big Bluestem, Indiangrass, Switchgrass and Little Bluestem going in. Soybeans will be corn this year. It’s all an education. Lots of fun.
461da91c223694050cb8e3aec13ea3cf.jpg

9aec3977a8b202992615b41f38fdaf67.jpg

We drove down to the plot today. The wife suggested I take a couple progress pics since the change is noticeable. Here are 2 pics. The first is where I sprayed the future buffer strip on the South edge of my bean field. The second is the North edge where my sprayer ran out. Still green if you zoom in. The plan is to hit this all again with gly and Plateau around May 1st. Again, not sure when I get to rent the drill, but a mix of Big Bluestem, Indiangrass, Switchgrass and Little Bluestem going in. Soybeans will be corn this year. It’s all an education. Lots of fun.
461da91c223694050cb8e3aec13ea3cf.jpg

9aec3977a8b202992615b41f38fdaf67.jpg

Documenting the changes is a huge asset.

Back