The Brushpile

I had that issue also on some crabs,planted close to 10 years ago and the only thing they have produced in thorns

I had that issue also on some crabs,planted close to 10 years ago and the only thing they have produced in thorns
I don't know if this is the case, but going cheap with crabapples is usually a HUGE mistake. Cheap crabs usually produce tiny apples that nothing eats, and since they are on their own roots it will take up to 10 years to see apples; I learned the hard way!!! Grafted trees produce earlier and have a named apple variety. Good crabapples produce an apple that is 1"- 2" in diameter.

If rodents are a probelm would you recommed mulch instead or just spraying around them? I had 4 out of 5 chestnuts chewed off just below the soil last year with weed mats. Thanks
If rodents are a problem it doesn't matter what you mulch with. Your best solution is to use aluminum window screening around the base of the tree. Wrap around the base and attached using a common office stapler. As the tree grows it will pop the staples out and not girdle the tree. All my trees get the window screening now--even the ones that are tubed.

I don't know if this is the case, but going cheap with crabapples is usually a HUGE mistake. Cheap crabs usually produce tiny apples that nothing eats, and since they are on their own roots it will take up to 10 years to see apples; I learned the hard way!!! Grafted trees produce earlier and have a named apple variety. Good crabapples produce an apple that is 1"- 2" in diameter.
Maybe you can cut the crab bush a few inches from the ground and graft with another crab such as a dolgo from your dolgo seedlings you have. I grafted a couple of your dolgo scions last year and they did great.

Most of my flowering crabs have been grafted, but the grafts are growing faster than the flowering crab can support.

If rodents are a problem it doesn't matter what you mulch with. Your best solution is to use aluminum window screening around the base of the tree. Wrap around the base and attached using a common office stapler. As the tree grows it will pop the staples out and not girdle the tree. All my trees get the window screening now--even the ones that are tubed.
Have you had rodents tunnel under gravel? The question was about rodents tunneling and eating roots.

If you got a rodent problem for sure use the wire screen but if you are going to mulch use pea gravel. Rodents won't nest in pea gravel but will organic mulches such a cedar shavings etc.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I used mulch on my trees which probably didnt help from what i have read. Our trees are in old fields and near brassica plots which sounds like ideal habitat for voles. This article from psu sayes the same thing you have all recommended. Gravel around the trees or hardware mesh set 4 to 6 inches in the ground.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tre...ruit-production/wildlife-damage-control/voles

Great thread! Your place looks great! My bucket list of stuff to plant keep growing!

Thanks for the advise everyone. I used mulch on my trees which probably didnt help from what i have read. Our trees are in old fields and near brassica plots which sounds like ideal habitat for voles. This article from psu sayes the same thing you have all recommended. Gravel around the trees or hardware mesh set 4 to 6 inches in the ground.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tre...ruit-production/wildlife-damage-control/voles

Great thread! Your place looks great! My bucket list of stuff to plant keep growing!

Before ordering Google the name of the plant and USDA to see if the tree/shrub grows in your area.

I shoveled the driveway twice this week at 20 degrees with no coat, hat, or gloves. 20 with no wind is warm this time of year.

It may have been hot but sure was nice planting fruit trees saturday morning.Unfortunately spent the next 5 hours fighting a grass fire.Be careful out there as it is dry and theres big grass.I was pulling out of my farm yesterday and saw a pickup sitting on road in road of my gate and guess what it was on fire.I flew up the road a half mile to inlaws and grabbed a fire extinguisher while calling for a fire truck.Got it put out but at least I didn't end up with my NWSG on fire.Everyone should have a water pressurized extinguisher around their farm.I got several farmers to carry them on their swathers and several saved their machines because they had them and also prevented a grass fire

It may have been hot but sure was nice planting fruit trees saturday morning.Unfortunately spent the next 5 hours fighting a grass fire.Be careful out there as it is dry and theres big grass.I was pulling out of my farm yesterday and saw a pickup sitting on road in road of my gate and guess what it was on fire.I flew up the road a half mile to inlaws and grabbed a fire extinguisher while calling for a fire truck.Got it put out but at least I didn't end up with my NWSG on fire.Everyone should have a water pressurized extinguisher around their farm.I got several farmers to carry them on their swathers and several saved their machines because they had them and also prevented a grass fire
A fire could wipe out years worth of work. Glad you got everything under control!

Back