The Brushpile

Fires been burning out of control south of Tahlequah yesterday and today. Mid 80's and strong south wind yesterday. 60 today with north winds.

I have trees that will be here in March...gonna be a challenge...

Here is Oklahoma drought monitor...

8e7fbe7e41d26378be1e967891194302.jpg

Last edited:
Fires been burning out of control south of Tahlequah yesterday and today. Mid 80's and strong south wind yesterday. 60 today with north winds.

I have trees that will be here in March...gonna be a challenge...

Here is Oklahoma drought monitor...

8e7fbe7e41d26378be1e967891194302.jpg
Oklahoma is really dry!!! One Spring I had to water my seedlings in, which is a lot of work, but I had some survival, and without watering there would have been none.

You have been talking about warm weather lately. I happened to walk out to the barn today and noticed my plum tree is in blooming. This is 3 weeks earlier than I have ever recorded blooms opening. We have had quite a few days in the low 70's but the nights are still rather cold. I fear I will have no plums this year. We have freezing nights forecast several times in the next 10 days.

Oklahoma is really dry!!! One Spring I had to water my seedlings in, which is a lot of work, but I had some survival, and without watering there would have been none.
I have a 2" rain on the way. Just a couple hours away--well that is at least the amount they predicted. I just checked the forecast for Goodnight, Mo and nothing there. When we usually get rain it heads your way. I guess this one is going to fizzle out. I did see a 30% chance for early next week for ya. Hopefully that increases. I've been planting a lot of trees the last couple of weeks and even though they are dormant I've been watering them every time I go to the farm. Hopefully the water crystals and weed mats will keep the roots moist enough. I have a potted crabapple at the house that I am over wintering and the dang thing is popping out green leafs right now. Everything is getting fooled that spring is here and it's only the middle of February.

take care and praying you get some rain
todd

Todd...Hoping you guys get the rain you need and hopefully end the fires. We are still in drought conditions down here but nothing like it was last summer through fall. It was brutal. Major outbreaks of pine beetles in our area due to stress on trees. My farm is having beetle issues. Anxiously keeping an eye on pine stand. Been a crazy warm winter down here as well. Pear trees look like they are on verge of blooming.

Hey buddy. Thought I'd update you on the AC nuts. They are doing great. 13 out of the 17 nuts germinated. I know you worked hard to get these nuts for me. Watering all summer long. Just want you to know I appreciate the hard work!
7d482e985f816d450673ac854fb0ba37.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a 2" rain on the way. Just a couple hours away--well that is at least the amount they predicted. I just checked the forecast for Goodnight, Mo and nothing there. When we usually get rain it heads your way. I guess this one is going to fizzle out. I did see a 30% chance for early next week for ya. Hopefully that increases. I've been planting a lot of trees the last couple of weeks and even though they are dormant I've been watering them every time I go to the farm. Hopefully the water crystals and weed mats will keep the roots moist enough. I have a potted crabapple at the house that I am over wintering and the dang thing is popping out green leafs right now. Everything is getting fooled that spring is here and it's only the middle of February.

take care and praying you get some rain
todd
What a surprise! After reading your post I checked the weather and see a storm heading this way with a 80% chance of rain! Sometimes complaining about the weather seems to help. ;-)

Hey buddy. Thought I'd update you on the AC nuts. They are doing great. 13 out of the 17 nuts germinated. I know you worked hard to get these nuts for me. Watering all summer long. Just want you to know I appreciate the hard work!
7d482e985f816d450673ac854fb0ba37.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
That's great to see. Make sure they don't get Sun burned, because they burn easily, and thanks for sharing. :)

You have been talking about warm weather lately. I happened to walk out to the barn today and noticed my plum tree is in blooming. This is 3 weeks earlier than I have ever recorded blooms opening. We have had quite a few days in the low 70's but the nights are still rather cold. I fear I will have no plums this year. We have freezing nights forecast several times in the next 10 days.

Trees do strange things when the weather isn't normal. I have seen trees bloom after being stripped of leaves from a hurricane, or after a rain during drought. Maybe you will still have plums, I know my pears have withstood several hard frosts and still produced. Let's hope for the best. I'm in a positive mood because it's raining.

My laptop died on Wednesday morning. I got a refurbished laptop this afternoon. Got one issue - I can't find my windows CD for the old laptop.

My wife allowed me to use her ipad for two days. I keep my Chinese Chestnut sells and data on Excel so that is important info to me.

This new laptop has a much better screen than the old one.

Wayne

Computer at Geek Squad yet again. Hope to be up and running soon.
Well crud. You've had fits with this computer.
I ended up with 1.6" out of this last rain with good chances of more starting Sunday into Monday. Hope some of it finds the brushpile.
I had to prune the little cherry tree you sent me. I ended up starting 4 cuttings from it. Don't know if they will be successful or not. I read on some garden forum that getting successful cuttings from cherry trees is very difficult. My peach tree is getting ready to bloom and it's the middle of February. No doubt we will have another good freeze so chances don't look good for my peaches. I haven't even seen any bugs out to pollinate anyway.
todd

My wife and I were honored to have wbpdeer and Scotty here this week. The visit started with planting 9 Allegheny Chinkapins grown in Wayne's greenhouse, then some work on the kennel and a trip to doctorbrady's for expertise with training Scotty. Then Wayne went to work building a dog box for the kennel.

Wayne found yet another use for my multi-purpose 5 gallon bucket.

Wayne done good!

Back