Striped June Apple - right on time

Native Hunter

I thought my Striped June (aka Margret) apples would be late due to the colder than normal temps, but it seems they are right on time. However, they do seem a little smaller this year. These will continue to ripen and drop through the end of June. I ate my first ones yesterday, and liked the taste better than normal. I wonder if it was because I limed and fertilized the tree for the first time this spring.

k1F56iu.jpg

InGAaDA.jpg

NsUeox2.jpg

Awesome. My grandmother-in-law used to have a tree that produced a pale yellow apple in June. Really good apple that made awesome apple crisp. She always called it a “June apple”. Unfortunately she passed and the new owners cut it down before I learned to graft. Always wondered if it was a June Gold or something. Any ideas?

Awesome. My grandmother-in-law used to have a tree that produced a pale yellow apple in June. Really good apple that made awesome apple crisp. She always called it a “June apple”. Unfortunately she passed and the new owners cut it down before I learned to graft. Always wondered if it was a June Gold or something. Any ideas?
First possibility I thought of is Yellow Transparent.
Widely grown in the south too.

http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/yellow-transparent-story-2/

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I agree with Merle - it sounds like Yellow Transparent. I have another apple that will start ripening at the end of June. It's called Bevan's Favorite. It looks almost like Striped June but it a little bigger and sweeter.

Here is another widely planted yellow apple that it could be: Early Harvest (bighorsecreekfarm.com)

This was today after I have already taken over 5 gallons of apples off the tree. They are really falling fast now:

bU7Wrwn.jpg

Another one is starting to ripen called Bevan's Favorite. Below is a picture of it today with just a few apples beginning to change color. They look a lot like Striped June but just a little sweeter and a little later. It does have some leaf spotting in this horrific year for both CAR and Scab but nothing serious.

o1QZcf3.jpg

Those are pretty. What will you use them for?

Thanks. That last photo is more of the Striped June apples. We use them as cooking apples, and they make incredible fried apple pies. Some folks who like tart apples will eat them fresh, but I like apples just a tad sweeter for that.

Bevan's Favorite, however, is a great fresh eating apple for me. If it has any drawbacks, it would be the small size - similar to Yates - which I know you are familiar with.

My next apple to ripen will be Summer Champion, and it's my favorite early apple. It gets large and has a nice complex flavor, which I love. I will post some pics later when they ripen. The pic below is today, and you can see that some are just beginning to get a little color. A few should be ripe by the 4th of July Weekend.

sVE5pHF.jpg

8hnhE5v.jpg

Bevan's Favorite is really coming on strong now. I had forgotten how much I like this apple for fresh eating.

cDeHVSf.jpg

Summer Champion is being stubborn and slower than normal, but I did pick these this morning:

jt6dlna.jpg

This is what people talk about when they use the phrase, "...low hanging fruit...."

cQuXqV7.jpg

A preview of Liberty this year. It will still be a while.

s5Fcb4l.jpg

And a bonus picture for today - my tame blackberries. I don't know the cultivar, but they are big ones.

zrsbHLX.jpg

An illustration of how much variability there is in the ripening time of individual apples on Summer Champion. A few already ripe, but many still very green. It seems that the larger ones are the last ones to ripen. That wouldn't be good for commercial orchards but is nice in a home orchard for a guy who wants to pick a few apples occasionally and have them last a while.

uFjhcRx.jpg

DjKRqzw.jpg

My Summer Champion is still a few years away, but I did pick Arkcharm apples last week.
Decent for a July apple. I've heard they don't store long so I've been eating my fill.
fc5ec07930eb83ac3b3d776d859539ad.jpg
6575da61246ddccf2bb2ade93c69815e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Judging by all of that delicious looking fruit you are very obviously living in the Garden of Eden. Just don't eat from the tree growing in the middle of the orchard.

How do you keep the coons, possums, and squirrels from getting them? Just overwhelm them with the amount of fruit available?

Back