Soil health ?

OHBB437

Ive been tilling plots for 12 years give or take. My soil has suffered and im looking at changing planting methods. I grabbed some seed from green cover for my fall plots. Going to try and start the no till process grant woods is using where he has summer and fall release blends. My issue is I dont have a planter/drill, crimper, cultipacker. Ive heard of people broadcasting into standing forage and then mowing over the seed... Any reccomendations for a guy on a tight budget?

With that said, has anyone perfected the throw and mow? Ive browsed the thread, is there anyone with continual success? Also what are the steps, broadcast, mow, herbicide ahead of rain? What happens if you have a layer of thatch, does the seed work its way through? Sorry for the beginner questions.

Check out the throw n mow thread. There is some good info on there. Spray, seed, mow is the best bet. Rainfall will be the key to your success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You don't say what you have been planting in the past so not sure what be broadcasting in to. But I'll give these suggestions.
Have soil test readings of ph of at least 6-7 and all others at High to VH readings helps with TnM.
TnM tends to do better when following several seasons of rotational plantings of the likes of brassicas, clovers, and grains.
You don't need any high tech equipment. A bag spreader and pull behind spreader sufficient.
WW, WR, RC,WC, and various brassicas do well with TnM especially if done before a rain. I do oats and peas at times also but they are more picky.
I sometimes spray with gly, throw seed, and mow. Often I don't terminate with Gly, and just throw, mow. Some years I don't even mow.
I no longer have dedicated plantings. I plant my brassica late July/early Aug. Then late Sept thru Nov, I overseed a grain and RC into the brassica. Some years I plant all at the same time depending on my mood. I often will add 19-19-19 and Urea for the brassica.
My WC/chicory/alfalfa plots are overseeded with WR each fall for weed and grass control.. I have a couple threads that show success and failure of TnM on my place. http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/rambling-plots.6270/. And some others. Also several threads from other members showing same. Read the Lickcreek material for good grasp of crop rotations even tho he used tillage.
You have a rain event coming to Ohio so NOW is the perfect time for laying down seed.
Good luck.

Kentucky Pride Crimson Clover, Fixation Balansa Clover, Frosty Berseem Clover, Indianhead Lentils, 4010 Spring Forage Peas, Hayden Spring Oats, Cosaque Black Oats, Gore Beardless Soft Red Winter Wheat, Elbon Winter Cereal Rye, Impact Forage Collards, Smart Radish, Purple Top Turnips, Buckwheat

This is what i bought for this fall. Currently i have a little white clover and some weeds but sprayed gly two weeks ago so plan was to till in next two weeks and broadcast this mix. After reading dogghr posts im beginning to see there is an easier way. Im not a farmer nor is my father. Once i retire out west i will have a little time to do this stuff. With my fathers age and health im no longer comfortable giving him all this work to do, i think the tnm is going to be an asset to the property.

It all sounds good except the "layer of thatch" part. Do you have any closeup pics of the current average soil conditions? Where did the thatch come from? A prior mowing is often the culprit, mowing clover generally doesn't leave much thatch, but if the thatch is from mowing grass a month ago, that could be a problem, the seed needs to be under that thatch, not on top. Anything of equipment like a disc or even dragging an old weighted down box spring across to break up the thatch can be helpful, although, if you truly have something to "mow" and cover your seed after you "throw", that will go a long way to getting good germination out of a thatch situation.
I'm looking forward to following along as you spend more time planting your plots in future years.

Kentucky Pride Crimson Clover, Fixation Balansa Clover, Frosty Berseem Clover, Indianhead Lentils, 4010 Spring Forage Peas, Hayden Spring Oats, Cosaque Black Oats, Gore Beardless Soft Red Winter Wheat, Elbon Winter Cereal Rye, Impact Forage Collards, Smart Radish, Purple Top Turnips, Buckwheat

This is what i bought for this fall. Currently i have a little white clover and some weeds but sprayed gly two weeks ago so plan was to till in next two weeks and broadcast this mix. After reading dogghr posts im beginning to see there is an easier way. Im not a farmer nor is my father. Once i retire out west i will have a little time to do this stuff. With my fathers age and health im no longer comfortable giving him all this work to do, i think the tnm is going to be an asset to the property.
If it were me, I'd pitch it out there and mow. It really depends on what outcome you're looking for. For me, it's more important to not break the growing cycle than it is to get a perfect plot. Soil health starts with soil life.

Don't overlook the natural breaks that nature gives us to start things over. Winter gives us spring, and an opportunity to sew cold season stuff. Biennials like rye and winter wheat give us a break mid summer where we can mow-terminate them after sliding some more seed in there first. As summer runs out, a good mowing can clean up some warm season weeds, at least for the fall.

After this plot, what would you do next? I don't see much in there for perennials.

Back