Planting fall seed blends into summer seed blends

jackson13

I know many people have tried and used the method where you drill a fall food plot mix right into standing soybeans during the late summer with success. I am wanting to plant a summer mix containing soybeans, cowpeas, sun hemp, grain sorghum, sunflowers, and brown top millet but I do not know how drilling the fall food plot into it would go?

If anyone has any experience doing anything like this any information would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I know many people have tried and used the method where you drill a fall food plot mix right into standing soybeans during the late summer with success. I am wanting to plant a summer mix containing soybeans, cowpeas, sun hemp, grain sorghum, sunflowers, and brown top millet but I do not know how drilling the fall food plot into it would go?

If anyone has any experience doing anything like this any information would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

What type of drill do you have? I plant the mix you are considering every year and so does Baker.

I’m in SC so we often don’t get a killing frost until December. Because of that, I no-till drill straight into the living summer plot then immediately spray glyphosate to terminate if it’s October/November (which is when we plant fall plots here). My Great Plains 706NT goes through the summer mix easily.

The trick to drilling into vegetation is to do it at the proper time and soil moisture conditions. You want the summer mix to either be very alive or very dead otherwise the coulters don’t cut very well. If the ground is too wet vegetation gets pushed into the soil rather than cut, which causes hair pinning.

Fall cereals are fairly forgivable when it comes to planting so what you are trying to accomplish is pretty easy.

Back