Live from the stand 2016!

Sitting on the edge of bedding here in Central KY at 12:09 pm. Word of advice to everyone this weekend, try to be in your stand from 9-12 each morning. Our group of three collectively saw 10 deer from sunrise to 9. We have seen over 30 from 9-12 including 4 bucks a piece, which were 10 different bucks in a 120 acre block of timber. With the rising full moon in the afternoon, the pm crowd has been showing up at last light and they're moving so much in the evening that they're bedding in the early morning. Had similar circumstances yesterday with a decent amount of pushing by younger bucks and the mature deer locked down on does.

Had this deer at 40 at 10:58am, tempting with a bow but want to see what he can be next year.
5b74ecf6d3b86b255aebc5a310d18bab.jpg
Noticing the same thing with a twist being bucks moving at first gray light and then no movement till about 10:30-noon or so and then movement picking up again about 4:00 pm...

Cameras showing lots of movement overnight...

Opening day here. Surrounded by hunters, but saw a bunch this morning. Lots of chasing. Now it has been dead since 11am. Final 30min now, hopefully something moves

Have seen two nice bucks in the last 10 minutes. One was just cruising and the other was following a doe. The first one might have been a shooter but I'm an idiot and assumed he was a different deer I've been watching. By the time I realized he wasn't, he was gone.

Opening day of Missouri rifle season. I saw 12 does and 2 bucks. The big 8 I seen this morning was about 100yds away on the wrong side of the fence. I will definitely take it when it comes on my property. The other buck was only as wide as its ears. No signs of the rut here yet and all bucks traveling by themselves. Hopefully the chase will begin soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Vids of 2nd buck...

Just before dark I could hear a chase going on but it wasn't these 2 doing the chasing. Whatever was chasing was big enough the other 2 stayed out of it...never could see the deer for the brush in the direction they were at. Chase went on until after I got down in the dark...frustrating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best hunts without drawing blood...four hunters this afternoon, both son's got skunked, buddy had deer all Over him, 5 bucks, 3 8's, a 10 & an basket rack & several doe...first time ever to see a buck brawl, said it was the best hunt ever without killing one. I

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Continued,

I only seen 4 deer, seen the biggest buck that I've seen on the hoof in ok, a giant 8, looked around 160" (no expert but i have one that grossed 154ish on the wall and the 8 looked to be quite a bit bigger) never offered a shot. Two doe, nothing trailing either and last a basket rack. Really an awesome hunt for not scoring.

Continued,

I only seen 4 deer, seen the biggest buck that I've seen on the hoof in ok, a giant 8, looked around 160" (no expert but i have one that grossed 154ish on the wall and the 8 looked to be quite a bit bigger) never offered a shot. Two doe, nothing trailing either and last a basket rack. Really an awesome hunt for not scoring.

160" eight pointer is a monster. good luck the rest of your hunt

Today I broke my streak. This is the 5th season I have hunted in Kentucky and I have never failed to have killed deer on opening day...until now. My perfect streak is over. It was a pretty crappy day unless you were looking to not see deer. Around 9 am my oldest nephew had a buck run through full speed and even with a grunt he wouldn't stop for a shot. My youngest nephew and I didn't see a single deer. We will be back out in the morning with a slightly different plan. Hopefully the boys can get a shot tomorrow since I have to take them home tomorrow afternoon. We are going to try to sit til noon, but with temps predicted to be 29 or so getting my youngest nephew to sit might be tough.

Heck of a morning so far! I have seen 1 nice 8 point twice in easy range and 4 does.

Wife is in the house and said 2 big bucks are doffing does in our backyard!

Saw 17 deer this morning - including our big mature 8. Son was 5 seconds away from getting a shot before he went into cover. A few seconds later I could have shot him, but son wasn't in position to see him. Deer went into a thicket and we started hearing racks crashing. Had to come out a few minutes ago for church, but pumped for this evening. No chasing or anything like that going on - that all happened 10 days ago. All deer eating our plots like no tomorrow......

Saw 17 deer this morning - including our big mature 8. Son was 5 seconds away from getting a shot before he went into cover. A few seconds later I could have shot him, but son wasn't in position to see him. Deer went into a thicket and we started hearing racks crashing. Had to come out a few minutes ago for church, but pumped for this evening. No chasing or anything like that going on - that all happened 10 days ago. All deer eating our plots like no tomorrow......

So I assume that you havent killed any of your super bucks yet? Sorry I havent had time to keep up on everything lately.

Back