Live from the stand 2016!

So I assume that you havent killed any of your super bucks yet? Sorry I havent had time to keep up on everything lately.

Not yet Chris. We just started hunting yesterday. Neighbor checked his cams yesterday and Abby Normal passed through. He said Abby has broke off one of those brows.

This morning my oldest nephew had a doe come out in front of him and just as he pulled the trigger she turned and missed her completely. It's odd because I have seen him make some good shots, but he said she didn't kick, didn't run, didn't react to the shot at all. She just turned and walked normally to the edge of the field and disappeared. No blood, no fur, and no deer. About 15 minutes later he had a buck come trotting through he yelled the deer stopped for a split second and then kept on going.....no shot.
Around 8 am my youngest nephew froze out (I was a little thankful...my hands were popsicles) so we left my oldest and headed back to the house for a quick warm up and moved to another field. 10 minutes after getting there he was done with hunting for the day. He is proving to be more of a challenge than my oldest nephew was. The youngest doesn't have the patience or the stamina to pull an all day sit.

Wife took photo with iPhone from dining room window this morning.

e1c8638055373a2543287c6ca1bfab3c.jpg

Look close! Smaller of 2 bucks in there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wind is all wrong for all my good stands so being as deer hunting crazy as I am and not wanting to screw up great spots this evening I am making due...

My views this evening...

eb231096398db6a81eb6affef9fe1865.jpg

bb348fc85a11ec993b47a0bfc2fabf6d.jpg

b79aebe17f9776bcfdb22400eb260cf5.jpg

Close to home too and my wifi works in my tree!

164c90b52f335e41ed082a5da3973942.jpg

I went to town after morning hunt to get a haircut and when I got back deer were in the yard.

2 shooters in here this morning!

Little video from this morning. This deer was close but I didn't start videoing till I was sure he didn't have dad with him...

Something neat from this morning. My stand is in a pine tree and when I was getting ready to get down I decided to pull some pine bark off the area around where I sit so it wouldn't be catching on my clothes. I noticed something odd behind the bark right behind my head...

62a16fb0a2c3e4501ee24202cced5ef3.jpg

12627a32b7db6ad397f464359a01e7ab.jpg

What the heck?

9523df2fb81edcb78294743d91b7c8dd.jpg

Was chirping up a storm before he flew away!

b2acadf47046b649763c7067e1c5f316.jpg

Well the boys were on their way home so I snuck out behind the house to hunt by myself this evening. I told myself that after the crappy weekend we had I was going to shoot the first deer that walked out. Around 4pm about 200 yards off in the far southern corner (where I can not see from my blind and an old roadbed runs just inside the treeline) I hear something running like crazy through the leaves and then I hear it....brrrp.....brrrrrp.....brrrrrrrrp. We grunted back and forth a few times and I decided to shut up and see if he would come looking. About two minutes later from the other end of the field a BIG doe comes walking out. I put the crosshairs on her....and lowered the gun. I had that grunting on my mind. She worked her way down the field toward where the grunting came from at a fairly quick pace and disappeared. Ten minutes before shooting light ended I heard him grunting again waaaaaay back behind me near my house. I am still kicking myself for not shooting her and getting some meat on the ground. Now I can't hunt again until Friday afternoon....it's gonna haunt me!

Dang Native Hunter that stinks about AbbyNormal. The bat is way cool! Though it was going to be a squirrel with the first picture.

Busy day in the taxidermy shop.... unfortunately saw my number 1 target buck from the farm come in the door and it wasnt shot by my family or friends. Shot by someone hunting a mile north of our place.:( Happens pretty much every year. I will post a picture one of these days of him. Probably a low 140s buck.

Sad story for me today. Ive seen my target buck 3x this past week. The last time was this morning. Gun came in Saturday, but i of sound mind and body opted to take the bow.
Hour after daylight on this frosty morning, i see the buck about 75 yards out. I grunted twice and without pause that buck came running.
I picked up my bow, attached the release and turned my head to see him 20 yards behind the tree. He picks the wrong side for me and i have to turn around facing the tree to shoot and i had to do it quick. At 15 yards i draw and he nails me. I hold forever as he stares me down. Uh oh. He turns and leaves in a hurry.
It happens. Not much else i could do.
30 minutes later my neighbor blasts away and i get a sick feeling. Then he sent me the pic. 150 class 9 point with a forked G2.
Thats how it rolls in gun season.

Sad story for me today. Ive seen my target buck 3x this past week. The last time was this morning. Gun came in Saturday, but i of sound mind and body opted to take the bow.
Hour after daylight on this frosty morning, i see the buck about 75 yards out. I grunted twice and without pause that buck came running.
I picked up my bow, attached the release and turned my head to see him 20 yards behind the tree. He picks the wrong side for me and i have to turn around facing the tree to shoot and i had to do it quick. At 15 yards i draw and he nails me. I hold forever as he stares me down. Uh oh. He turns and leaves in a hurry.
It happens. Not much else i could do.
30 minutes later my neighbor blasts away and i get a sick feeling. Then he sent me the pic. 150 class 9 point with a forked G2.
Thats how it rolls in gun season.
Are you wishing now you would have taken the rifle? Back in my younger days I would just bow hunt during our blackpowder season. After missing out on a few nice bucks that I couldn't get into bow range I went out and bought a ML. Sure, I'd rather harvest a buck with my bow but when it's gun season I'm taking my gun!

Good luck the rest of the season
Todd

Are you wishing now you would have taken the rifle? Back in my younger days I would just bow hunt during our blackpowder season. After missing out on a few nice bucks that I couldn't get into bow range I went out and bought a ML. Sure, I'd rather harvest a buck with my bow but when it's gun season I'm taking my gun!

Todd
Times 2

I truly love to bowhunt and have taken some really nice deer over the years with my bows whether it was my recurves or my compounds but if a season is running that I can hunt with something that go's bang you can guarantee that is what I will use. I feel absolutely no differently about a deer harvest I have done with a bow as opposed to a gun. Weird I know but one of my pet peeves is to hear - "that's a really good deer for a bowkill" - my response is always "it was a good one for any weapon"...my criteria doesn't suddenly drop to a lower level just because I have a bow in my hand...

Having said all of that my other major pet peeve is hearing rifles banging away at deer in the woods during archery only season...for crying out loud hunt with a legal weapon during a legal season!

Todd
I texted my woes to an old friend the other morning as i sat in the tree kicking myself. His text back was simple and to the point. "Dont take a knife to a gun fight"'.
Yes, i wish i had taken the gun. But, that was the choice i made. The scenario could have worked out and i could have come out smelling like a rose. It didnt, because those are the crazy things that happen with a bow.

Times 2

I truly love to bowhunt and have taken some really nice deer over the years with my bows whether it was my recurves or my compounds but if a season is running that I can hunt with something that go's bang you can guarantee that is what I will use. I feel absolutely no differently about a deer harvest I have done with a bow as opposed to a gun. Weird I know but one of my pet peeves is to hear - "that's a really good deer for a bowkill" - my response is always "it was a good one for any weapon"...my criteria doesn't suddenly drop to a lower level just because I have a bow in my hand...

Having said all of that my other major pet peeve is hearing rifles banging away at deer in the woods during archery only season...for crying out loud hunt with a legal weapon during a legal season!

I have no problem killing a deer with a gun and have done so many times. Ive owned this property 3 years and have worked hard to improve it. I deserved that deer as much as anybody and i should have gun hunted to kill what would have been my first deer on the property. This was a reminder for me. As the deer left, i asked myself if i would have been thrilled holding that rack as a gun kill. The answer was an overwhelming yes. Several times last week i thought about sighting in the gun and just kept talking myself out of it.
And i will not do that again. I have kicked myself to the point i didnt sleep last night.

And i will not do that again. I have kicked myself to the point i didnt sleep last night.

Yes, we are obsessed. I've lost a few nights of sleep before to due to deer hunting. You have a great place. Your deer numbers are just going to keep going up.

todd

Yes, we are obsessed. I've lost a few nights of sleep before to due to deer hunting. You have a great place. Your deer numbers are just going to keep going up.

todd
Thanks Todd. The silver lining here is that the property is better than it used to be. :)

Nice morning in the stand. Tons of does and 5 bucks, mostly little guys. One 3.5 8 pt and the one in the attached pic is an tall 8pt that looks 4.5 or so. He came all the way across a milo field and right under the stand (11 yards) Got some decent video of him, but always struggle getting it into a shareable format...14 nov.png

Back