Elk Meadow Farm

Yesterday we planted a .25 acre plot of large ladino clover and chickory which will be my apple orchard we will plant in the spring. It was a little wet tilling but turned out good.
8f4b216003d30ed93d922f1c7f57e18b.jpg
542b75857b1331dd60d90440a9e23ccc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Yesterday evening my son, my dad and me bow hunter for the 1st time this year. I sat on my power line plot which the deer mowed down in the last 2 weeks and there was nothing left. It is about a .25 acre plot of brassicas. Yesterday I over seeded with red clover so we will see what happens. I saw 1 doe. My dad saw 1 spike and 4 does and my son saw a 4 point and 2 does.
f062863ef1ab525534f7fa06fb9ff4c6.jpg

I see someone is doing the "walk". My most dreaded task in food plotting is walking around with the hand seeder.
Looking good.

I see someone is doing the "walk". My most dreaded task in food plotting is walking around with the hand seeder.
Looking good.
The hand seeding does not bother me as I like the exercise. My 18 year old Jack Russell terrier was out there inspecting my work.

Man that is sure some pretty dirt! All my soil is red. Looks great. I don't know if you'll see much from the red clover this year but your sure will next spring.

Man that is sure some pretty dirt! All my soil is red. Looks great. I don't know if you'll see much from the red clover this year but your sure will next spring.
Well I guess I will have a nice strutting plot for the gobblers come spring.

Our clover plots sure do drag in the turkeys in the spring and the only problem I ever have is I can't beat the turkeys to the plot for afternoon hunts and it's hard to keep from busting them out of the trees around the clover on morning hunts...

Red clover is some good stuff. I think you will like it!

Plot looks good - I prefer to plant clover in the fall. Doesn't make much the planting year but makes a nice plot come spring.

Spent the weekend at the farm bow hunting. Saw lots of does and a spike. I did see a massive buck that is definitely a pope and young when I was walking out Saturday evening from my stand. The new chickory/ladino plot has germinated and definitely needs more rain. I over seeded my small brassica plot that the deer already browsed with red clover and it has germinated. Nice weather this weekend and my wife enjoyed camping out and sitting around the campfire in the evening. Also found my first rubs of the season.
c0fdab2d974a529e843dcc7fcac629cd.jpg
4ebcb7bcdac6857c697a3c35672c5394.jpg
48a72d591a01cc775338eadaa6bc9930.jpg
b6d89cc055aa7b80bdd532f7a1478a53.jpg

Looks like some moisture still in your soil. I put in Red Clover about the same time you did but have had very little try to germinate.

Doe is sending you a message ;)
That field and powerline had 1 rainfall on it since planting of .33.

Looks like a good hay crop this year! Beautiful pics. Hope your plots do great.
Could use a little more rain. We have only had .33 in one rain fall since the Ladino was planted. The brassicas are doing great. Seen a ton of does last Saturday eving in one field at the same time.

Back