Elk Meadow Farm

Today I met with a consulting forester to kick off my first timber harvest. It was 5 degrees this morning at the farm. While we were showing him around my wife gets excited and tells me to stop the ranger. She gets out and picks up the 1st she'd antler of the year and it was a dandy.
b2ceae17666a6025801e1ca545b1c07c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Been awhile since I have updated this page. Was at the farm today and the loggers started last week. I must say I was really scared what the place would look like but I am pleasantly surprised. My wife
d4de12528356fa058fd4de58fdb919e2.jpg
3f9814d5d1037645954f73d9dea49bef.jpg
really likes what they are doing also.
7d17d46865b318b4a2564af5bc51738a.jpg

My chickory and ladino clover plot is greening up. I have my stakes in the ground marking where my fruit trees will be planted in a few weeks.
52466ef9f7b958360320b5906297fd7b.jpg

This year I am doing a few things different. I am planting 3 food plots of 1 acre each in large ladino clover/chickory mix. I ordered the seed today from welters seed company. My wife and I drove 2 hours up to stark bros nursery and picked up 11 fruit trees today. I myself would have bought all apple and pears but she wanted some plum, peach and a self pollinator cherry. Oh well we do everything together so she gets what she wants so it's fun for everyone. We plan on planting them on Thursday and caging them. I have another food plot that will be made in the timber when they start logging in the back of my property. It will be about 1 acre which I plan on putting in a muddy elevated blind and some more fruit trees. I will probably put more ladino on this plot also. I guess I'm looking for a more maintenance free set up this year. I will post up some picks after we plant the fruit trees.

From the look of those logs, you logger is probably a happy person. Should be great for your land.
My logger says that I have alot of good stave logs that are worth alot of money. he already has another big pile of logs in the middle of the farm he still has to haul. I am looking forward to all the areas of the canopy being opened up and he said before he leaves he will make sure he clears some 1 acre plots in the woods where I want them for food plots. So far we are happy with what we are seeing from this harvest. I just hope the deer and turkey will use all the tree top dead falls left behind for cover and nesting habitat. Yesterday we purchased 11 fruit trees and today I bought the fencing wire and cow manure. Tomorrow we plant the fruit trees and fence around them. I will post some pics of that.

Today my dad, and my wife and I planted 11 fruit trees. 2'X2' deep holes. I am worn out. We planted a variety of fruit trees. We planted the following all from Stark Bros. For apples we planted Granny smith,arkansas black,jona red,golden delicious. For pears we planted moon glo and starking delicious. Peaches planted were red haven and delicious. Plums we planted were shiro plum and a delicious plum. Finally we planted a montmarney pie cherry which is self pollinating. We got them all caged. Next trip we will put down weed barrier and mulch.

Loggers have piles of logs all over the farm. Here's another. After planting we took a drive to the back of the farm and jumped 12 deer in one bunch. Nice seeing them.
d22a178318a96cf424d6aa3e290c2c4b.jpg

Looks good I just did mine this year also,I probably wish I would have spread mine more but I have around 25 ft between rows and trees are staggered and 25ft between in the row

Looks good I just did mine this year also,I probably wish I would have spread mine more but I have around 25 ft between rows and trees are staggered and 25ft between in the row
I did mine at 25' feet spacing also. I planted all semi dwarf.

Back