Elk Meadow Farm

These guys showed up on my last camera pull.
a1254bed8ae2ffebeba172873d595a3f.jpg
d0d44836033f6fe96dab821f42fac254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

OK - so you have a doe with an attitude and some bucks to certainly get you out of bed in the morning! Your plots look great for being recently planted. They will explode come spring and you will have a nice carpet of green. Hope you get a crack at one of those bucks - daylight pictures are always encouraging as well!!!!

OK - so you have a doe with an attitude and some bucks to certainly get you out of bed in the morning! Your plots look great for being recently planted. They will explode come spring and you will have a nice carpet of green. Hope you get a crack at one of those bucks - daylight pictures are always encouraging as well!!!!
I certainly hope I get some shots this year. I saw some nice ones last season and on camera after the season that have bigger racks than what I have seen this season thus far. To date I have placed and hunted stands on the perimeter of my property and not venturing into the core which I plan on doing soon if I don't start seeing these bucks during daylight hours.

You should be seeing rubs and scrapes to help ID where those bucks are coming and going - Don't get all gun-ho about diving into the core of your property - if those bucks are there going in after them tends to be a double edged sword. You could possibly only succeed in pushing them out and to a neighbor.....not good. As the rut progresses those bucks will venture around more in daylight. I personally wouldn't go in there until you have essentially nothing to loose. Those does will draw them out of there eventually.

Always a fun Time of year pulling cards. I have new bucks showing up weekly. It's like Christmas morning every time I pull cards this time of year.

Always a fun Time of year pulling cards. I have new bucks showing up weekly. It's like Christmas morning every time I pull cards this time of year.
I just hope I start seeing the bucks I saw last year. I put 2 cameras in different locations I have not tried before. I am anxious to see what those capture. I bought a stealth cam card reader that plugs directly into my iphone this week and I can view them while in the field and dont have to bring them back and read them on my laptop at home.

My wife and I spent the weekend at the farm. So nice to get away. We moved a couple stands off of some intel we got from trail cams. Saturday evening I saw a buck at 65 yards and it was the biggest buck I have seen so far at the farm. I wish I had him on camera. Here are few I did get on camera.
b34db0b1c2c1e65208a0594e7e435fc3.jpg
ac95e629db276c9b1b091b1803b04718.jpg
4a83685314c65e2a7faf621d2bac6731.jpg

Those are super nice deer. You will get a crack at one.....sooner or later one of them will be thinking with the wrong end and do something dumb. Patience is the word right now. Lots of folks want to charge in after deer like that and all they do is spook him off (I'm guilty of it). Put the puzzle together as to where they come from and where they go and use some sort of pinch point to narrow down their path and be sitting there. Stand access is such a huge part of hunting that I grossly overlooked early on. Hunting is easy....hunting and not educating the deer in the process is hard.

Those are super nice deer. You will get a crack at one.....sooner or later one of them will be thinking with the wrong end and do something dumb. Patience is the word right now. Lots of folks want to charge in after deer like that and all they do is spook him off (I'm guilty of it). Put the puzzle together as to where they come from and where they go and use some sort of pinch point to narrow down their path and be sitting there. Stand access is such a huge part of hunting that I grossly overlooked early on. Hunting is easy....hunting and not educating the deer in the process is hard.
The first pic on top is definitely on the hit list. The pic in the daylight photo I had on camera last year and he ran with my biggest on camera last year. The 3rd pic I may not shoot and give him another year. I have been walking long distances to get to my stands to avoid bumping deer and educating them. Hope I get a crack at a nice one this year.

Spent the weekend at the farm with my wife and dad. My dad and I saw lots of deer. I saw a big 10pt this morning and the closest he got Was 45yds in the brush and he had a real bad limp in one of his front legs. So all the deer I have seen this year have all migrate thru one point so we moved my ladder stand 50 yards down to about 10 yards from my property line. Nobody hunts the other side so I am not worried about being that close to the line. I included some pics of some turnips and radishes we pulled and my chickory/large ladino plot that I will be planting apples and pears in the spring.
f27557580332a12acff784b834b1a4e0.jpg
b3e34995d068b7fd51e8d709f8d8ca97.jpg

Nice buck. We have some with a rack that tall but antlers not as thick. Glad your family members were able to join in on the fun.

Congrats. Is the left brow tine busted? The left G2 looks to be where the brow tine should be.

Great buck
Todd

Great deer! Those are some very long tines and good mass too.. Those oaks are helping the deer grow well evidently.

Great deer! Those are some very long tines and good mass too.. Those oaks are helping the deer grow well evidently.
I cut his stomach open and it was nearly empty. He had some corn and 1 acorn in there. I guess he was chasing does rather than eating.

Been a while since I did an update. I finally got my forestry plan from MDC. Last week we contacted a Professional Consulting Forester to kick off a timber harvest. We have an appointment for this Friday to give him a walk thru of the farm and get that going. My wife wants her own chainsaw so she can help with the TSI. Getting her a Stihl MS 150 or the MS 193. Its a good lightweight saw for her. The deer sightings this year were markedly less than last year. The only difference was that we had to pull our feeders in June do to being placed in a new CWD zone. MDC did testing on all deer killed in our county on opening weekend of rifle season and so far none have tested positive. I feel if none are found they need to pull our county out of the zone.

Back