Elk Meadow Farm

Yep - coons looks like...

Place looks great and those bucks look really good...All these germinated plot pictures are getting me antsy to plant!
Those plots have had 10 inches of rain on them since I planted on July 28th. This next weekend I plan to over seed the bare spots with more brassicas.
Looks like coon, they pull down young ears looking for one with corn.
Well they have knocked down at least 20 stalks already. I hope they have enough to eat already on the ground.

Was at the farm today and got a bow stand hung over a brassica plot. and a 1/4 ac that will be my apple/pear plot I will be planting in the spring. I sprayed the future plot with gly and plan on tilling it and planting large ladino and chickory in a couple weeks. My dad and I went up on Thursday and overseeded the bare spots on the brassicas because rain was in the forecast for yesterday but that did not happen. Rain forecasted this Tueday and we shall see. It was a beautiful day to be in the woods with temps around 72 degrees. Felt like fall. My wife and I trimmed up shooting lanes on the 4 other ladderstands we set up 2 weeks ago. The turkey sightings and sign are thru the roof since we started our habitat work. Those turkeys love the brassica plots.

Raining at the farm tonight
4e59090b787067d77d06b8808095083c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Congratulations on the grandbaby! This will be a fall to remember with bucks, brassicas, and the baby. :)
Those plots look fantastic.

Congratulations on the grandbaby! This will be a fall to remember with bucks, brassicas, and the baby. :)
Those plots look fantastic.
Yes Fish it sure will be a nice fall. I'm taking my son in law on his first deer hunt. He is very eager to do some hunting. I have a few shooters and several does that need thinned. Hope my 83 year old father scores a nice buck this year. We have done lots of planning and planting this year and hopefully it all comes together.

Went by the farm today on my way back from my vacation in Colorado and New Mexico. The deer have started hitting my brassica plots and have really browsed them hard in spots where there is just dirt remaining. Cannot decide if I will oversees with clover or rye. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
44d6a7c0831097fa002e0865e59db4c5.jpg
1244f7a9f2704b9432e451d665fab75d.jpg
0ea33c2184a8a384d2a7053830021f2a.jpg
0801f5f3faa3e85f16a827fb0bbd7258.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Why not overseed with both. Rye and crimson if you are going to replant next spring or rye and red if you want something to last all summer.

Why not overseed with both. Rye and crimson if you are going to replant next spring or rye and red if you want something to last all summer.
I have not given thought to a spring planting but is the red clover an annual and would it green up right away and last till next fall planting?

I have not given thought to a spring planting but is the red clover an annual and would it green up right away and last till next fall planting?
Oh yea, the red clover will take off early spring and provide forage all summer. I have a red clover plot that will be going into its 3rd winter this year. I add clover to all my fall plantings and then till under the following fall. Heavy reseeding plant so I get a lot of volunteer. Also puts lots of nitrogen back into the soil. I never fertilize now with my fall plantings.

Oh yea, the red clover will take off early spring and provide forage all summer. I have a red clover plot that will be going into its 3rd winter this year. I add clover to all my fall plantings and then till under the following fall. Heavy reseeding plant so I get a lot of volunteer. Also puts lots of nitrogen back into the soil. I never fertilize now with my fall plantings.
How many ponds per acre should I plant if overseeding with red clover?

Back