Elk Meadow Farm

If it's like here (Hot and Dry) waterholes are good choices or on clover plots...
Stupid me, never thought of putting cameras on my ponds. I have one near a pond that gets the most pics and getting coming and going but I have 2 more ponds I can set cameras on. Thanks for that huge tip.

here is my biggest buck I had on camera last year. I did not see him during hunting seaso but did get him on camera on 12/31/15.1007.JPG

My wife,Dad and myself went out to the farm today and started on the fall plots. Had not been there in 21/2 weeks and alot sure changed. The corn is 8ft tall and the beans bit the dust. We got 2 one acre brassica plots planted today and finished 5 minutes before it started to rain. I pulled the cards on my cameras today and got a real nice tall 9 pointer. Last year I believe he was the one we called the tall eight. This years fall plots consist of Appin turnip, PTT, Groundhog radish, DER, and Pasja rape. Saturday We are going back to put in 2 smaller plots and that will leave my clover and chickory plot to finish around Sept 1. This clover and chickory plot is where I will be planting my apple orchard in the spring. The corn turned out really good on my dads plot. Most plants have 2 ears and some have 3. Love the Dekalb corn I got from the NWTF.

Wow...time is getting away from me on fall plots... that is great that you got them in before the rain. We haven't had rain in so long I am not sure what it is anymore :(

You should get some great growth on the brassicas if the moisture holds out!

Corn is 8ft plus in my dads plot. Most have 2 ears and some has 3. My first attempt at growing corn.dadsplot51.jpeg

I got this guy on camera and I think he is my tall 8 from last year. He has 9pt's this year.skyscraper1.JPG

Wow...time is getting away from me on fall plots... that is great that you got them in before the rain. We haven't had rain in so long I am not sure what it is anymore :(

You should get some great growth on the brassicas if the moisture holds out!
It was'nt a whole lot of rain. We have had about 5 inches so far this month.

Corn is awesome. I start my fall plots next weekend and I'm sure the drought will begin that day.

Corn is awesome. I start my fall plots next weekend and I'm sure the drought will begin that day.
Thats what happened last year. After mine got about an inch tall we got no rain for a month so I planted 2 weeks earlier this year. We got another quick hit of rain this afternoon.

Headed back today and finished all my brassica plots. This is my kill plot on the powerline cut. This where I got all the pics of my biggest buck last year. A .25ac plot.pl1.jpg

Using a right of way like that for a plot is a great way to use that space if it works out for you. Most right of ways won't allow brush or trees to grow so making it useful for the deer that way is great. Also looks like you got some nice deer running around. Nothing like a cam pic like that to convince you to get out of bed in the morning.

Using a right of way like that for a plot is a great way to use that space if it works out for you. Most right of ways won't allow brush or trees to grow so making it useful for the deer that way is great. Also looks like you got some nice deer running around. Nothing like a cam pic like that to convince you to get out of bed in the morning.
The power company cleaned up the cut last year just before I closed on the property. My wife was strongly urging me to put that plot in that location. I plan on doing some serious TSI work just to the west of that plot this winter and turn it into an over grown bedding area. I plan on just dropping every tree that has no timber market value.

Good luck and take lots of pictures for us!

Just between us - mark every tree you want to save first......somebody I know tends to get a little carried away while hinging :oops:. And then....oops! Then I, I mean this person I know, gets real upset:mad:!

Today my wife, future son in law and myself put up 4 Muddy skybox ladderstands. The setup went smooth. As I posted earlier we finished our brassica plots last weekend and since last Saturday the farm received 7" of rain. with over 2.5" overnight. 3 out of 4 plots looked real good with excellent germination. The 4th plot got flooded by a flash flood. My dads plot which has the shooting shack I built for him last year got turned over by the flood. Next weekend when we go back I will attach 2 skids since I can get them installed and then we will move it.flood1.jpg

Back