Drought and Survival

Whelp, our next significant chance for rain is currently November 11th. I guess the clouds are fans of veterans. At least we have something to look forward to…. :rolleyes:
Will clover and chicory seed work for birdseed???

We are beginning to feel your pain. I usually have plots planted by this time, but I’m waiting on some kind of favorable forecast. This is the best we can look forward to right now.IMG_4965.jpegIMG_4966.jpeg

Got the rain but at a price. Monster trees down everywhere with houses sometimes being the landing spot. Power out for many for 4 days now w several days to go. Major flooding in certain areas w homes destroyed. Powerline ROW thru my farm has had its lines knocked down at least 4 times. My neighbor who does powerline maintenance has worked round the clock missing out his new baby at home.
And our area faired much better than adjacent states.
I’ve escaped house damage and did not lose power.
I’ll take the drought over this crap any time. Deer seem to survive regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the rain but at a price. Monster trees down everywhere with houses sometimes being the landing spot. Power out for many for 4 days now w several days to go. Major flooding in certain areas w homes destroyed. Powerline ROW thru my farm has had its lines knocked down at least 4 times. My neighbor who does powerline maintenance has worked round the clock missing out his new baby at home.
And our area faired much better than adjacent states.
I’ve escaped house damage and did not lose power.
I’ll take the drought over this crap any time. Deer seem to survive regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, there are definitely worse things than drought, unless it’s extended enough that it causes other problems. The year 2011 was terrible for us, fires everywhere ! It seemed like every day you could see large clouds of smoke on the horizon. Some got close to us but thank goodness never got on our place. I lost half of my white oaks or more. I still clean up the remnants of dead oak trees from that year and the year after.

Yeah, short-term drought is a breeze. This 3.5 years drought on the other hand is a whole different monster. It's a killer.

No change today, no rain this fall for the central US. If it does rain, it will miss us like normal. No predictions of hurricanes hitting Texas and coming up to us. There is no hope for rain at all. Today we have 25-30 mph winds out of the NE drying out already bone dry ground. This pattern has persisted for getting closer to 4 years. What’s gonna break it? NOTHING. The central US will be a desert soon. We’ve already lost 3 of the 8 big oaks around our home. I can’t count how many we’ve lost at our property and the property of my in-law’s. I’m guessing we will lose more this winter. There is nothing more depressing in weather terms than drought. Water is life. Drought is death.

Looking back, how I wish we'd been sent the remnants of hurricane Helene instead of the poor people of North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, etc... Our flat as a pancake topography handles that kind of flooding so much better. In '07 when we got over 22" of rain in less than a week, and every national news station was here, I don't believe there were any deaths, and very few roads/bridges damaged at all. There was some property damage, but that was taken care of quite easily comparatively. The biggest concern was the refinery being flooded, but even the fear from that was overblown looking back.

Whelp not gonna get to hunt one of our favorite properties again this year. The plot is a wasteland. We cannot hunt the entire property, the plot is the only way we can hunt drawing deer from the part of the property we cannot hunt. So I guess the tumor ten and a couple of his buddies are off limits. Wish I’d known this before I bought a new cover for the bale blind. Not even going to set it up, what’s the point? We set it up last year and never hunted it. Almost 4 years of drought….this sucks. At least the temps are nice, it was a cool 96 degrees today. :mad:
IMG_0715.jpeg

Last edited:
We are officially in a drought here now, burn bans in my county and all the surrounding counties plus more added each day. My home plot should have been burned off, but the burn ban kinda slipped up on me. Every time I thought about, it was too wet with dew or too windy. Then I had to redeck my fishing pier and so goes the excuses. I just screwed up by procrastinating. I haven’t planted anything, and they keep forecasting rain and it keeps disappearing in the forecasts.

I really did redeck my fishing pier though………😊IMG_3231.jpeg

Back