Drought and Survival

Where are you in this picture? I thought you were down by that red?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are east of the front of that line. Ended up with a tenth at the house, but .5 at the Massey. We were right on the edge and it fell apart some.

Is it worth turning your fields/food plots into managed pastures? Maybe adding some food plot seed but letting the natives pop up and see what thrives in your low rainfall area.
Not sure that would work very well in the ag country we are in. I’m trying to let the good native forbs do their thing in the regenerative plot areas. In the driest years, that’s all that has been in the plots.

I sure hope brassicas are somewhat drought tolerant, looking like we're not going to get the rain they forecasted for today and tomorrow. 3 weeks without a drop. That's better than the months without rain we're used to, but tell that to the turnips and radishes. The 1" wide cracks have returned after a brief absence, oh joy. It looks like it's gonna take a hurricane to get some real rain to us. It's awful to have to have others suffer, just so you can get a couple inches of rain, but that's life here in SE Kansas now.

They’ve backed off projections now for hurricane possibility in the gulf; meanwhile we’re once again entering drought conditions, honestly I don’t think we ever left drought behind. There is absolutely nothing on the horizon when it comes to rainfall; and no gulf activity means no relief. All that hope for a nice fall has come crashing down. Droughts suck.

Starting to hear talk of a tropical storm in the gulf. PLEASE, please head our way!!!!!!!

We’re currently setting on 20% humidity with a high pressure dome of cataclysmic magnitude, I might be exaggerating a little, but not much.

Brassicas have shriveled up. According to NWS we remain in an extreme-exceptional drought category.
The plus of this drought over the year long one about 5 years ago, is we did have spring rains and the browse is pretty prevalent as are the hard mast.
My farmer knew where to place ponds. They are low but still have water. Creeks are just rocks. Tough fall to try and get my logging roads seeded. Come on tropical storm/hurricane / derecho / melting polar ice flooding / whatever that will bring moisture. Good news golf games never get rained out!!!

Brassicas have shriveled up. According to NWS we remain in an extreme-exceptional drought category.
The plus of this drought over the year long one about 5 years ago, is we did have spring rains and the browse is pretty prevalent as are the hard mast.
My farmer knew where to place ponds. They are low but still have water. Creeks are just rocks. Tough fall to try and get my logging roads seeded. Come on tropical storm/hurricane / derecho / melting polar ice flooding / whatever that will bring moisture. Good news golf games never get rained out!!!

Our brassicas are trying really hard to hang in there, if we could just get some decent rain in the next ten days and keep us below 35 days without rain, they might have a chance. It’s just not looking favorable though right now. I really think they keep that shot at rain at ten days out, just to keep you coming back to their websites. It’s been 4 years since our last brassica plot. Dawna is really hoping for some turnips this year. The winter rye fed soil makes some great tasting turnips she tells me. I despise the things. Lol

Please, please, please, please be wrong and come west!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tired of getting missed again and again and again etc….
I shouldn’t have looked at the extended forecast and radar……crap!

I just spoke with a good friend, for years I’ve bought seed for him him when I place an order each year from Welters. He said he’d pay me for this year’s seed, but he said he’s done. No more plotting; said he’s sick of the waste of time and money. We are thinking about growing alfalfa for hay on our plaice, but I’m not sure I want to venture into that arena with what seems to be our new climate. I hate our weather here where we live now; it’s tempting to think about moving. If I didn’t have 22 years at my work, it would be REALLY tempting.

It’s beginning to look like the hurricane is going to just flirt with us a little. So close, yet so far away. At least it’s sending a few clouds our way this morning. Those clouds without rain talked about in the gospels though.

I got almost an inch out of the hurticane, best friend 30 miles east of me got over two inches. This is my first time ever to spray gly on food plots that are as green as a gourd. Yes, some of it’s weeds and grass, but a little of it is still peas and even more sunn hemp. Wettest summer I can remember.

I got almost an inch out of the hurticane, best friend 30 miles east of me got over two inches. This is my first time ever to spray gly on food plots that are as green as a gourd. Yes, some of it’s weeds and grass, but a little of it is still peas and even more sunn hemp. Wettest summer I can remember.
Jealous……

We will miss any rain. Nothing showing for 10 days.
Today’s map showing WV Extreme to Exceptional drought.
Fields are cooked. Hopefully WR I put down week ago will come forth if rains move in. I’ve planted rye and WW mid Nov before and it’s done well.
I don’t hunt my fields so that wont change.

I had an Exceptional drought about 5 years ago. It was worse w no browse available and hard mast aborted early
The good news of hard drought, if there is any, is that it really killed off a lot of my nuisance weeds. Clover came back. Alfalfa did not. My farm county is nearly 100% farming country. So I won’t complain. Too much!

Depressing to spread seed knowing it’s probably waste but here I was. The eternal optimist.
803f2de50d6b19872034a4e8f1e26270.jpg

e17b2e3b8ba287e4810ce1cecb28a408.jpg

Just pulled up at the Massey, my shirt is sticking to me, not from sweat, from STATIC CLING. Dry, dry, dry. Thought we would get the first bean harvest around here since ‘20. If we can get rain in the next 10 days, the beans might be salvageable, if not there will be a harvest, but a very poor one. I guess that’s better than the last 3 years. I hate drought.

They took our rain “chances” away this-coming week. Gonna have to begin the tracker again. 32 days without a single drop of rain. 3.5 years since widespread flooding precipitation. We need to put new signs on highways entering SE Kansas “Welcome to the Midway Desert!”

I flew into Denver this week and it looked like a desert there too. Not just the fields, but the pastures looked 100% dead.

Back