Drought and Survival

Just got word this morning from the Caney school district, they will be going to a 4 day school week beginning next week to conserve water. I'm guessing they will take home games off the schedule as well for winter sports -- basketball games actually make quite a little bit of revenue, so that will suck. I'm also guessing online school is in the cards as the drought continues to weigh heavily on everyone. I was thinking they would be bringing in outdoor bathrooms in at some point, but maybe it's just too expensive. This is a historic first, never has the school district closed for water shortage. We continue to break records with this very localized drought.
That is alarming.

We had enough rain to plant and get our plots up but now it looks fairly bleak for the next couple weeks. I need rain NOW !

Just got word this morning from the Caney school district, they will be going to a 4 day school week beginning next week to conserve water. I'm guessing they will take home games off the schedule as well for winter sports -- basketball games actually make quite a little bit of revenue, so that will suck. I'm also guessing online school is in the cards as the drought continues to weigh heavily on everyone. I was thinking they would be bringing in outdoor bathrooms in at some point, but maybe it's just too expensive. This is a historic first, never has the school district closed for water shortage. We continue to break records with this very localized drought.

That’s awful. We’ve had our share of drought here in N TX, but I’ve never heard of closing schools or shortening the week for that.

I’m really sorry to hear about that for you guys. That’s a sad deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nutterbutter is trying to figure out what the sound of dripping is in the downspout. She’s never heard it before. :rolleyes:
Still awaiting some real rain…
IMG_2481.jpeg

If this drought is still going by the time our youngest graduates, we’ll be moving on. We won’t be heading your way T-Max!! :D

Well it's a regular flood to our north and west, I'm hearing reports of anywhere from 3-15". Not a drop here today. This continues to happen again, and again. We're cursed. I was going to post some pics from a project at the Massey this morning, don't think I'm going to do it. I don't have much hope left; this is not cyclical, this is a new era, climate, or whatever you want to call it and it's breaking people around here, including myself.

Well it's a regular flood to our north and west, I'm hearing reports of anywhere from 3-15". Not a drop here today. This continues to happen again, and again. We're cursed. I was going to post some pics from a project at the Massey this morning, don't think I'm going to do it. I don't have much hope left; this is not cyclical, this is a new era, climate, or whatever you want to call it and it's breaking people around here, including myself.

Can you get manure and wood chips near you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you get manure and wood chips near you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you talking about tree watering? I'm done with that for the foreseeable future. I'm more concerned for water in our school, the now 2,000 gallons of water my in-laws are transporting a day for livestock, and our well, right now. My watering of trees is pretty small potatoes by comparison.

drought map.jpg

See the "Exceptional Drought" area in Louisiana and SW Mississippi? I'm fairly confident that if you plotted the geographic center of the D4 zone it would fall on my property! Normal rainfall by now is 50.38"... but we've only had 32.98" so far. I know many of you would love to have that much rain, but other than a single 2" rain about a month ago that just ran off rather than soaking there has been no rain since June.

Don’t look now, but beginning to contemplate tree watering again. The early spring rains have been minimal showers. We’ve missed to the south, north, and today to the west. Today makes 660 days without a 2” rain.

Yesterday it was all west of us, this is today. Depressing…. We’ve experienced years of not at this point.
IMG_2855.jpeg

Back