Drought and Survival

Our extended forecast looks absolutely dreadful, I hope they are as wrong about it as they were our "big rains" last week. This is so depressing....

I really did think, after 2 years of futility, we were going to catch a break this year after planting plots. I should have known better. After the stooopid meteorologists completely blew the forecast of good rain last week, they nailed this week, I’m sure the doofuses are taking credit for it too. We’re in the middle of a week plus of upper 90s and today the wind is blowing 20 mph out of the south to boot. I’m glad I kept the plots small and only spent $120 on radishes, clover, and chicory. Can you frost seed chicory? I’m not even sure the wheat/rye will make it at this point, but if it does, I’ll need to frost seed like crazy. I wish it hadn’t rained at all last week. :mad:

We finally got a soaker last Sunday night. I poured an even 3” out of my gauge here at home and just a smidge over 3” at our lease. All plots are planted both places but we’ll need another rain in a week or so to keep everything growing. I checked my home plot this afternoon and I have successfully planted in the ” regenerative” fashion. I crimped everything the hogs didn’t destroy and I have little green sprouts galore, at least in the open spaces. I imagine it will take a little longer for them to show through the plants I laid down.

Took some drought pics this evening after watering trees. Watering trees is a pain, but it’s a LOT better than watering cattle.
This stock pond was reworked in 2020, it’s been dry since late spring.
IMG_2408.jpeg
These are the resident cattle in that pasture.
IMG_2407.jpeg
Here’s where it gets crazy. These are what we call the feedlot ponds. This is what they normally look like, they are big ponds. This satellite pic was actually taken when they were somewhat low.
IMG_2414.jpeg
This is what they like like now
Upper pond. That pipe feeds the auto waterer on the backside of the dam. It’s usually 5-6’ under water; right now it would take a 4’ rise in water level just to reach the mouth of the pipe.
IMG_2412.jpeg
This is just north of my brother-in-law’s house, when the pond is full the corner post is at the water’s edge; see the duck blind? They built it during a mild dry spell and misjudged the pond capacity. As a result, when the pond is spillway full, the blind has 2” of water in the bottom. Right now, the pond is t even in shotgun range.
IMG_2413.jpeg
Here’s one of the many bean fields that were bailed in the last week. My father-in-law is trying hard to get someone to come bale his as soon as the adjuster is done with them, but they’re all booked solid.
IMG_2409.jpeg

I was beginning to think we were in the same spot until a week ago. We’ve been very fortunate to get some recent rains. Ended up with 1.6” last night. It was supposed to be 2-3”, but I won’t complain. I hope the rest of you guys that are hurting get some soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They just freaking killed our chance for rain this week. This is going to be an even worse fall than the last three. It literally could not be a worse scenario, a small amount of rain on newly planted plots, and then NOTHING for a month plus. Are we ever going to catch a break? This is crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are EASILY going to surpass 500 days without a 2" rain.

They just freaking killed our chance for rain this week. This is going to be an even worse fall than the last three. It literally could not be a worse scenario, a small amount of rain on newly planted plots, and then NOTHING for a month plus. Are we ever going to catch a break? This is crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are EASILY going to surpass 500 days without a 2" rain.
I have solved your problem. You don't owe me anything, but if you want me to come kill one of your Booners, I won't turn you down.

I tried irrigation on the place I used to own. I had a well drilled and buried 2” pvc from the well, past two plots and terminated in a third plot. Each plot had a riser with a valve and a quick coupler. It was partially successful in that I was able to keep my white clover plots alive, but only had a water cannon that would irrigate in a 150 circle. It was on wheels and I moved it with my golf cart. I had to use poly pipe in the actual plots and that worked ok on the clover but on beans or peas, not so much. I was also working at the time so I could only irrigate on weekends. I could have laid lines in the plots with heads and timers, much like my yard at home, but that would have been much more expense.

Yeah, if/when we move to the Massey, maybe.... not happening now though. In the type of drought we are in a shallow well or a pond would not work, they are dry. Also, 2/3s of our plots aren't planted on our property.

Lol, I just realized that's the old Drury guy from 20+ years ago... And Native, I might need you to come sometime and bring one of those booners with you, we don't grow them over here! Now youngers, we have a bunch of them!:p

Yeah, if/when we move to the Massey, maybe.... not happening now though. In the type of drought we are in a shallow well or a pond would not work, they are dry. Also, 2/3s of our plots aren't planted on our property.

Lol, I just realized that's the old Drury guy from 20+ years ago... And Native, I might need you to come sometime and bring one of those booners with you, we don't grow them over here! Now youngers, we have a bunch of them!:p
I don't like how this conversation is going. I started out gaining Booners, and now I'm losing Booners. The government must be helping me. o_O

Doesn’t look like any break in the drought coming this fall unfortunately, or this winter, or next spring…. Thinking about watering trees for the last time this fall tomorrow and cutting our losses. They should be going dormant soon anyway.

Just got word this morning from the Caney school district, they will be going to a 4 day school week beginning next week to conserve water. I'm guessing they will take home games off the schedule as well for winter sports -- basketball games actually make quite a little bit of revenue, so that will suck. I'm also guessing online school is in the cards as the drought continues to weigh heavily on everyone. I was thinking they would be bringing in outdoor bathrooms in at some point, but maybe it's just too expensive. This is a historic first, never has the school district closed for water shortage. We continue to break records with this very localized drought.

That is sad about the Caney school situation. I have friends in Elk County that are along the Elk River. They are a good ways from the nearest rural water so are on a well. That well can go dry during low river flow. They are conservating now, but fearing they will be out of water soon if the drought continues.

Back