Drought and Survival

They’ve moved another system to the east that was supposed to hit us tomorrow and Friday. “Torrential rainfall… hail…. chance for tornadoes” we’d take the bad with the good at this point gladly. Maybe next time….
I really think this year will end up even worse than last...hope I am wrong...

I'm going to stick willow shoots along the river bank this year as my primary tree/bush habitat work. Curious to see if any of my oak seedlings survived last year. If they did, it won't be more than 4 out of 38 or so.

According to radar it’s pouring to the SE of us again, within 70 miles again. Not a drop here. Ridiculous…

I'm going to stick willow shoots along the river bank this year as my primary tree/bush habitat work. Curious to see if any of my oak seedlings survived last year. If they did, it won't be more than 4 out of 38 or so.
I watered trees for 4.5 months last year Kurt, and I’m betting I still lost 75% of our trees over the winter. I refuse to water in the winter and I’m struggling to make myself water in the spring — I'm just tired of it and year after year of hauling water is getting old. Especially when we’re SUPPOSED to average over 40” of annual rainfall. Our local climate is most definitely changing. I can’t put a price on the amount of tree investment in time and money that we’re losing the last couple of years. We even lost a couple 6’ tall cedars, that’s almost unheard of.

I watered trees for 4.5 months last year Kurt, and I’m betting I still lost 75% of our trees over the winter. I refuse to water in the winter and I’m struggling to make myself water in the spring — I'm just tired of it and year after year of hauling water is getting old. Especially when we’re SUPPOSED to average over 40” of annual rainfall. Our local climate is most definitely changing. I can’t put a price on the amount of tree investment in time and money that we’re losing the last couple of years. We even lost a couple 6’ tall cedars, that’s almost unheard of.
I feel your pain. Trees are an addictive hobby, but they cannot be grown without water. I'd consider burying trickle irrigation lines, it's a cost effective and relatively easy process that's a standard practice in Israel, where they don't have enough rainfall to sustain trees, but have lots of trees and orchards all over the place.

I feel your pain. Trees are an addictive hobby, but they cannot be grown without water. I'd consider burying trickle irrigation lines, it's a cost effective and relatively easy process that's a standard practice in Israel, where they don't have enough rainfall to sustain trees, but have lots of trees and orchards all over the place.
I would still have to haul a lot of water tho. We have no water out there.

Looks like another system first of the week going to miss us to the east AGAIN. Is it 2022???
At this point we’ll take tornado chances in a heartbeat, just bring rain!!!

This is correct for the Ponderosa. I had 1.50" in the middle of September and nothing else since then and no snow.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-01 180056.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 180056.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 15
This is correct for the Ponderosa. I had 1.50" in the middle of September and nothing else since then and no snow.
That is very telling….wow
It is beyond critical for much of the state. Farmers are putting corn in the ground around us as I type this; for the life of me, I don’t know why at this point.

KS, I feel for you man, we had a dry year last year, but the real winner was 2011. I probably lost over half of my big white oaks.

KS, I feel for you man, we had a dry year last year, but the real winner was 2011. I probably lost over half of my big white oaks.
Yeah ‘11 was real bad, some say we lost 50% of our mature deer locally that year along with ‘12 to EHD. When it come to plant health though, this is blowing ‘11-‘12 out of the water for us, pun intended.

We are on the fringe of another system coming through tomorrow, they’re giving us an oh so slight chance for storms tomorrow night and Wednesday. I’m praying hard for it, it looks to be a while before we get another chance if we don’t get any of it. It’s crazy, I’m watching the radar and forecast likes it’s August, not April.

We have a chance at that one as well. It was near 90 here yesterday and with the incessant 25-30 mph winds we are drying out quickly even though we have had a lot more rain than you have this year. all of us in the middle of the country are going to have record warm temps next week...

I feel like some of you guys south of I-80 have green things you could take pics of but are not sharing. We still have feet of snow here. We like seeing pics of green things.

Back