Drought and Survival

Everything went to crap, feels cool and dry outside now. It’s raining west of us and looks like another miss. They aren’t getting much out there either, it’s headed north to KC where it’s not needed. There’s another wave that’s supposed to miss us to the SE later, it will probably get Okie yet again. I’ll be watering trees on my day off. First time ever watering trees in the spring for me.

Stayed up until almost 2 am to watch it rain .05”. You gotta be freaking kidding me! It lasted less than 2 minutes.

Try planning a turkey hunt. I did that and now forecast is rain for 2 of the 3 days. I'd take rain over a turkey so it works out.

You are in Hays, right? That would be nice if you can send it straight East when you get done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything went to crap, feels cool and dry outside now. It’s raining west of us and looks like another miss. They aren’t getting much out there either, it’s headed north to KC where it’s not needed. There’s another wave that’s supposed to miss us to the SE later, it will probably get Okie yet again. I’ll be watering trees on my day off. First time ever watering trees in the spring for me.
We got nothing...

We got nothing...
They really missed this one, it went north of us instead of south. Looks like the SE part of the country is getting set up for flooding and more storms. This is gonna have to break at some point. I read something about La Niña hanging on for another year. I sure hope not… Two more stock ponds on our mile of highway went dry this last week. Our neighbor’s 4 acre pond across the highway is down to less than 1.5 acres now of surface area.

They really missed this one, it went north of us instead of south. Looks like the SE part of the country is getting set up for flooding and more storms. This is gonna have to break at some point. I read something about La Niña hanging on for another year. I sure hope not…
I thought this year was supposed to be an El Niño?

I thought this year was supposed to be an El Niño?
I read that about La Niña on a drought article from the Kansas Livestock Association. As bad as it is here, there are portions of SW Kansas that have had less than 10” in the last 18 months. Of course they average less than 20 annually, so it’s a semi-arid climate; but this has put them well into the desert climate in terms of rainfall for the last 2 years. That portion of the state should have NEVER been designated for agriculture, it’s not even hardly viable for wheat. This drought is teaching some very tough lessons.

The dust bowl already taught those lessons. People just have short memories and don’t read….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel almost guilty because everything is as green as a gourd down here. I mowed my wheat a few days ago because I have a good deal of clover coming on in that plot and I don’t know whether that was the right thing to do or not. I looked in my gauge this morning to find 1.5” and it has rain some since then. We aren’t really dry, but my acre and a half pond can sure use the water.

Gonna need to water the cactus soon up here. I watch those youtube videos about food plots and can't imagine that kind of moisture right now.

A fella on the Kansas bowsite clued me into this YouTube channel. I can tell it could be addicting to watch. I really like what the fella has to say about this summer, I hope he’s right!

Well, we didn’t get a half inch, but we’ll take it. Some neighbors less than 6 miles away didn’t get a drop. Shortly after that radar picture was taken, it began to fall apart. Where the green is just west of the blue x, turned to nothing as the line was moving ESE.

Well, we didn’t get a half inch, but we’ll take it. Some neighbors less than 6 miles away didn’t get a drop. Shortly after that radar picture was taken, it began to fall apart. Where the green is just west of the blue x, turned to nothing as the line was moving ESE.
That line moved directly south from you and broke up quickly...it never made it east...

I checked the radar right after seeing your post to see if we were looking at any precip and it looked like your cell was breaking up fast. Glad you got some.

KS, I just got back from a turkey hunt near Lubbock and they’re about as dry as you are. No measureable precipitation in 47 days and not much since way before that. Everything is brown and 80% or so of the mesquites don’t have leaves on them. Very depressing !

KS, I just got back from a turkey hunt near Lubbock and they’re about as dry as you are. No measureable precipitation in 47 days and not much since way before that. Everything is brown and 80% or so of the mesquites don’t have leaves on them. Very depressing !
The pattern shown on the above video paints the depressing picture very well. It’s been going on for close to 2 years now. IF El Niño becomes a reality later this year, that now parched alley in west Texas will begin to funnel moisture our way.

For quite a while now we’ve been watching the rains south and east, this is the radar about an hour from now. What is the one constant?? We get none of it. My in-laws stand to lose 150 more acres of pasture in the next week. Three more ponds are about dry. If we don’t get those ponds full in Kansas before the summer drought that we all know is coming, the results will be beyond dire.
0002A9AA-AD0A-4EEA-84A5-9F1E38B9C364.jpeg

Back