2019 Live from the Stand

dogghr... I have a TC New Englander .50 cal on my wall. My first muzzleloader was a TC New Englander .54 cal that I shot 120 grains of BP and Maxi Balls out of. I killed several deer with this setup and won a local muzzleloader shoot 2 years in a row with it by shooting at a small black diamond on paper offhand at 50 feet. The Diamond was small enough a .72 caliber could completely take it out with a perfect hit and several of the guys had actually built .72 cal for that purpose. It was by the shot and there were 44 shooters the first year and 51 the next. Cost per shot depended on the prize per shot and the overall winner was determined by how many rounds you won...lots of fun back then. Of course technology finally outpaced these type shoots and most folks went to inline muzzleloader was did I so the shoots went away. I traded off my .54 and had a Knight .54 rifle with no scope for many years and then a Remington .54, then a TC Omega .50 and now my TC Encore .50 but in the middle of all of that I found a gent selling out of all his BP stuff and he had a TC New Englander in .50 so I bought it and have it hanging on a wooden gun holder I built for my first New Englander many years ago...

7946abfa8a904ca49451c2b97af658f6.jpg

Last edited:
Ours is over next Sunday but I’m back in my rifle stand at the lease. We have a MZ season also but I doubt I’ll hunt it. I only need one more for the freezer and I can get a doe in the MLDP property I hunt.
So far this morning........nada.

dogghr...You sound like a kid on Christmas morning in the '60s. I'd had 5.5 hrs sleep already when you posted this. :D Our season ends the Saturday following next Saturday after going continuously since the 3rd Saturday of October for firearms and 2nd Saturday of September for archery. It's a long, long season and by this time of year I'm bout done with hunting. Ready to get back at hacking n squirting a few sweetgums and other non-desirables, removing a few tree tubes and other such stuff.

Best of luck on the late season primitive hunt! I've got guests coming in this weekend with a youngster to snag a doe or two. I'll be in stand one more time with recurve in hand and will see if I can muster the desire to draw back on one should it come within range. The older I get the more I watch em come in and for reasons I can't describe, I just watch...and let em go about their business. Other than one pig, which I connected on at 22 yds, (quite proud of that shot), I've yet to draw back on a deer but had multiple opportunities. But my enjoyment of experiencing time on stand or slipping thru the bottoms still hunting hasn't waned.

I get the not shooting stuff. I always draw or aim at any deer Or bear I see but seldom shoot except to fill the freezer. The little lady always asking why don’t I just take a camera as I don’t bother shooting anyways. of course as I think I shared before, I showed her pics of couple nice 8s I passed this year and she said I was crazy. Tried to explain I thot they really blow up in a yr or two and she said then just wait 2 yrs to go hunting then!! Can’t argue w logic I guess. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogghr... I have a TC New Englander .50 cal on my wall. My first muzzleloader was a TC New Englander .54 cal that I shot 120 grains of BP and Maxi Balls out of. I killed several deer with this setup and won a local muzzleloader shoot 2 years in a row with it by shooting at a small black diamond on paper offhand at 50 feet. The Diamond was small enough a .72 caliber could completely take it out with a perfect hit and several of the guys had actually built .72 cal for that purpose. It was by the shot and there were 44 shooters the first year and 51 the next. Cost per shot depended on the prize per shot and the overall winner was determined by how many rounds you won...lots of fun back then. Of course technology finally outpaced these type shoots and most folks went to inline muzzleloader was did I so the shoots went away. I traded off my .54 and had a Knight .54 rifle with no scope for many years and then a Remington .54, then a TC Omega .50 and now my TC Encore .50 but in the middle of all of that I found a gent selling out of all his BP stuff and he had a TC New Englander in .50 so I bought it and have it hanging on a wooden gun holder I built for my first New Englander many years ago...

7946abfa8a904ca49451c2b97af658f6.jpg

I’ve never competed w ML Tourneys. Best shot I’ve made w sidehammer is over a 30 ft cliff at running deer at 40 yds. Dropped on spot. Best shot I’ve watched w one is my good friend shot 200 yds for a kill. Holdover was about 2 ft w open site. I was impressed.
The buffalo snipe shooters paid to remove buffalo for meat and to decimate food supply of Native Indians would shoot 500-1000+yds w powder and flintlock, shooting repeatedly at the herd. Pretty impressive by today’s standards.

I had three does come in about 15 minutes ago, but there were 15/20 doves on the ground too.
The doves flew and so did the does:eek: I hardly got to watch them......:)

I’ve never competed w ML Tourneys. Best shot I’ve made w sidehammer is over a 30 ft cliff at running deer at 40 yds. Dropped on spot. Best shot I’ve watched w one is my good friend shot 200 yds for a kill. Holdover was about 2 ft w open site. I was impressed.
The buffalo snipe shooters paid to remove buffalo for meat and to decimate food supply of Native Indians would shoot 500-1000+yds w powder and flintlock, shooting repeatedly at the herd. Pretty impressive by today’s standards.

I think the kicker on the shoots I went to is as the barrel got dirtier the shots would change and the offhand with no rest or sling deal. I was just sharing... as far as hunting shots I killed a spike at a paced off 152 yards and a running 7 point at 75 yards through the woods. I have always liked the side hammer guns and other than no scope in low light I see no disadvantages...but all of my hunting is close range. Good luck with the ML!

Exactly 1 month to go until the end of our season. Lots of bucks have been hitting the ground around here. Unfortunately most of them have been really young. A good friend who hunts the adjacent property shot a 6½ year old 10 point I haven't seen since he was 3½. After a brief argument with the lease holder and a verified jawbone by a biologist we agreed he was 6½. Kids are at the grandparents house for the holidays so me and the wife have a chance to get in the woods together. We still have a couple nice deer walking around plus you never know what will show up behind a doe this time of the year.

Spring/Turkey season is going to be a challenge getting everything done that I want to do. I found out a few weeks ago after a couple of trips to the orthopedic that I need major knee surgery. It is scheduled for the 28th. Been waiting on a donor bone. They are going to perform a High Tibial Osteotomy along with an Osteochondral Allograft. I'll be no weight baring for 8 weeks with hopefully a return to work status at 12 weeks. Hopefully this will solve all of my issues for the next 10-15 years so I can get a little closer to total knee replacement age.

The plots have all came in great. Once again I have THE best food at the perfect time of the year. Wish us luck.
d111eb39ee98826fc38d5ad42204630b.jpg
3130cfb08fa52801f1893e408db6ea80.jpg
1d2abfecfdd08a83a06bbdc4d9f685c0.jpg
26c879c8be8755a7d59305beff2372b6.jpg

The season just ended here in SC. I sat this morning in my favorite stand on the marsh but did not sit this afternoon. Relaxed with a sick wife at home and will start trapping coons this weekend.

Exactly 1 month to go until the end of our season. Lots of bucks have been hitting the ground around here. Unfortunately most of them have been really young. A good friend who hunts the adjacent property shot a 6½ year old 10 point I haven't seen since he was 3½. After a brief argument with the lease holder and a verified jawbone by a biologist we agreed he was 6½. Kids are at the grandparents house for the holidays so me and the wife have a chance to get in the woods together. We still have a couple nice deer walking around plus you never know what will show up behind a doe this time of the year.

Spring/Turkey season is going to be a challenge getting everything done that I want to do. I found out a few weeks ago after a couple of trips to the orthopedic that I need major knee surgery. It is scheduled for the 28th. Been waiting on a donor bone. They are going to perform a High Tibial Osteotomy along with an Osteochondral Allograft. I'll be no weight baring for 8 weeks with hopefully a return to work status at 12 weeks. Hopefully this will solve all of my issues for the next 10-15 years so I can get a little closer to total knee replacement age.

The plots have all came in great. Once again I have THE best food at the perfect time of the year. Wish us luck.
d111eb39ee98826fc38d5ad42204630b.jpg
3130cfb08fa52801f1893e408db6ea80.jpg
1d2abfecfdd08a83a06bbdc4d9f685c0.jpg
26c879c8be8755a7d59305beff2372b6.jpg
Sorry to hear about the knee, I've had several knee surgeries, although I'll take a knee surgery before rotor cuff surgery any time. Hopefully you will get on your feet for spring gobbler. I may make it down to Macon for spring Turkey with friends.

Sorry to hear about the knee, I've had several knee surgeries, although I'll take a knee surgery before rotor cuff surgery any time. Hopefully you will get on your feet for spring gobbler. I may make it down to Macon for spring Turkey with friends.
I've got a lot of prescribed burning coming due this year. Plus we're starting to build a house. I don't think the timing will ever be right. But I can't go on like this. I feel for my wife. I'm not a good patient at all.

I've got a lot of prescribed burning coming due this year. Plus we're starting to build a house. I don't think the timing will ever be right. But I can't go on like this. I feel for my wife. I'm not a good patient at all.
Good luck with that. My knees change with the weather. Sometimes I think I will make it without replacement, but other times not. Going downhill is a disaster for me.

If I could go back and listen to some of the old timers when they said "son, you're going to regret that when you get older".....I would. Granted I had my first knee surgery when I was in the 5th grade and a couple more with my last being 15 years ago it still doesn't make it any easier. I'm only 38 years old and worried about the quality of life later down the road. There's some major lifestyle changes that started Wednesday. Got to start thinking longterm

38 is too young to start replacing knees. A good therapist might help build muscle?
It's a cartilage issue along with a blood supply to the bone (thus the cadaver bone) couple with my body compensating for all of this by bowing my leg putting excessive pressure on my inner knee so they'll be cutting my tibia, straightening it with wedges and plates to realign everything. Physical therapy will come after all of this. But yes. 38 is too young for a knee replacement

Screenshot_20200104-153231_Gallery.jpg

The boys and I were skunked last week but back at it this pm and tomorrow. Here is lane I cut thru clear cut into woods. Robert' is in woods to my right, jack 1/4 mile behind me.
Wind is howling. Today's the day.

Back