Yellow flowered plant in South Central KY

Cedar Ridge

IMG_8796.jpg Hey guys. I’ve got quite a few small, yellow flowered plants decorating one of my beautiful winter wheat / clover / chicory plots. It’s popped up in the last week and is scattered about. Adds some color to the field and looks “pretty” but curious what it is. Not sure if it’s something that I need to be trying to eradicate or if I should just leave it and get it with the mower the first time I mow my clover a little.

I was foolishly confident that I could attach a pic from my iPad but turns out I was wrong. Maybe I’ll be able to figure out which hoops I have to jump through to be able to do this and this can become a simpler task than the game of Virtual Pictionary we’re having to play with my vague, poor description.

EDIT: Think I'm able to now add the pic from my laptop.

Native Hunter? I never think of a question regarding plant id that you don’t come to mind.

Last edited:
Does it look like this? Butterweed or Yellowtop maybe.

segl_003_lvp.jpg

'
looks like a turnip bolt. I always have some turnips that survive the winter and will bolt (shoot up a stem and flower) this time of year. Yellow-rocket has a very fat/fleshy stem.....and this doesn't appear to be that in my opinion.

'
looks like a turnip bolt. I always have some turnips that survive the winter and will bolt (shoot up a stem and flower) this time of year. Yellow-rocket has a very fat/fleshy stem.....and this doesn't appear to be that in my opinion.

Thanks j-bird. I’m going to say that’s what it is. I had never planted any turnips before but did have a small bag of Whitetail Institute Imperial Winter Greens that someone gave me last year. I planted them and saw some growth late last year but really had no idea what to expect. Think you’ve solved the mystery. Appreciate it.

I'm gonna guess its Yellow Rocket.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Now that your pic has posted, I stand corrected. Not Yellow Rocket. It does look like a variety of brassica.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks j-bird. I’m going to say that’s what it is. I had never planted any turnips before but did have a small bag of Whitetail Institute Imperial Winter Greens that someone gave me last year. I planted them and saw some growth late last year but really had no idea what to expect. Think you’ve solved the mystery. Appreciate it.
Turnip seed is very small and get everywhere......even if you never planted it in that area before they can still show up by being stuck in your spreader or just on your boots. They will eventually grow little narrow pods - sort of look like vanilla beans and once dried out you will have more turnip seed! How some survive the winter I have no idea. I have some the size of baseballs bolting over the past few weeks. Only down side is when they start to rot.....man do they stink!

Back