Anyone plant high sugar perennial ryegrass before in shade?

giannid

I've got a difficult area that's a ditch line that runs through the woods. It's mostly shaded but does get some sun as it's cleared about 40 feet wide. I want to plant something for erosion control on the sides and to serve as another foodplot on my property. Was thinking about using this perennial ryegrass with some white clover.I'm not sure the clover will thrive here and I'm pretty sure the grass will grow. If the clover does well I could always kill the grass off. I'm not going to be able to do any preparation to the area and want to frost seed and fertilize in the spring. I'm in Northeast Ohio.

It won’t be easy to kill once it’s established. Your best bet is cereal rye, winter wheat or winter oats. You can do spring oats once it warms up if you want, using any of them as a cover crop until your clover gets growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get the grass from Sweet Spot I can say deer will enjoy it. White clover is a great companion with it as well.

I heard the ryegrass is a bear to get rid of. I'm looking into the sweet spot. I'm pretty sure the ryegrass will frost seed well but some of the other things like turnips in the mix won't do well. Hate to pay a premium for that product just for the ryegrass.

I heard the ryegrass is a bear to get rid of. I'm looking into the sweet spot. I'm pretty sure the ryegrass will frost seed well but some of the other things like turnips in the mix won't do well. Hate to pay a premium for that product just for the ryegrass.
You are mistaking these high-sugar ryegrasses with annual re-seeding ryegrasses. The high-sugars are tetraploid the re-seeders are diploid.

Back