Worst day of my life, I had to put my Lab down

I am sorry for your loss Savannah, it is a horrible thing to go through. I lost my yellow lab Hunter 5 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Keep your head up.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how real the pain is.. When we've lost/put down pets in the past, I've sworn I'd never replace them. My experience has been time heals the most bitter losses...and there is nothing like the presence of a puppy to feel rejuvenated. Your note was a moving tribute to Captain.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. As life is given, it too must end. Try to remember the good times. Consider how lucky he was to have found you. It sounds like his life was filled with as much joy as a dog could hope to experience in their short time in this world. Keep your chin up and
in time everything will regain its meaning.

And thank you for your service.

It's something that is a hard decision to make. I have a lab mix currently (Lucy) - she is 11....I think. She recently had an altercation with my tractor - she is fine now, but we didn't know at the time. We had to at least prepare ourselves for that possibility. I have no doubt your four-legged friend is patiently awaiting to see you again someday......those that make their way into our hearts never leave us.

It's hard to put into word just how difficult it is. If you want to see a grown man cry like a baby just tell him he has to take the life of his best friend. I remember the day I had to put my Shiloh down. Almost 10 years ago now and I remember it like it was yesterday. Time helps but the pain brings forth the memories and that's a good thing. Take your time and when it's right go find yourself a new best friend.
This is the last picture of my Shiloh before I put her down. She was tired and ready to go. I was not.
upload_2016-9-28_8-42-23.png

We recently lost our family pet. He developed Type II Diabetes. Hung on for a year while taking insulin shots daily. He got to the point to where he had lost so much weight and couldn't hold his pee anymore. (Diabetes makes you pee a lot of it's not in control) I felt like he knew it was time and I did too. Took him to the vet and they put him to sleep while I held him. I cried like a baby and still get teary eyed from time to time when I think about him. We buried him under a big pecan tree and placed a granite marker over his grave. I still miss him every day. So I completely understand what you are going though. I could say it gets better and it does but it takes time. Hang in there...

I'm right there with you. Only bad thing about having a dog is there much shorter life span.

IMAG1126.jpg
I just want to take a minute and say thank you to all of you that are reading this post and replying. I knew coming here would help a little. This is my best friend "Captain." If he is able to look down he would be so mad I have posted this picture. But this was the reality of having two young kids that loved him so much. Every time we went to a store they had to get a "friend" for captain. This is one of 1000 of the stuffed animals laying all over my house. Our weekly shopping trips always brought him home a new toy or bone. I had to open it and put it in one of the 12 bags. As soon as we walked in the house and put all the bags down he would come running over. He would rip through all the bags knocking groceries all over the floor (my wife loved how he crushed the bread and eggs) until he found what we got for him. Every toy had a real loud annoying squeak to it for the first 10 min...then they didnt squeak anymore. Nonetheless he loved his "friends". God I miss him so much. Thank you all for your stories and please continue. I have read this thread over 10 times and just knowing others have loved and lost friends like mine and have found peace is very comforting.

Sorry for your loss. I did not need another dog when I got Hank 15 months ago. Rocky (8 years old) got an osteosarcoma in his left rear leg and I put him to sleep in the back yard on Sunday 10/4. Jill (11 years) followed a month later on Sunday 11/8 suspected liver sarcoma. Give yourself time to grieve and don't rush into an irrational puppy decision but get a new puppy soon. It sure helped me to have Hank.

5 15 Farm 395 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Everyone should be blessed enough to own a good dog at least once in their life. Captain sounds like he definitely fit that mold. Sorry for your loss. Enjoyed reading about him.

Sorry brother
Captain sounds like he was an awesome dog
That dog was lucky to have a family like yours
Many of us first responders turn to the friendship and unconditional love of a dog above people. I think We have trust issues from the things we observe regularly. Or Maybe b/c our schedules make it difficult to maintain friendships. My pups always there to greet me after a rough shift. As I know yours was.
Dig deep brother
Time will ease your pain to the point of instead of crying you will smile when reflecting upon you an Captains memories

I worry I will be crossing this same bridge in the next couple yrs with my 10 yr old lab Clover. I raised her from a 5 wk old pup. She was my kid before I had kids. Can't imagine another dog ever coming close to measuring up to her loyalty an wits
Gotta love Labs

Stay safe Jordan

IMG_1154.PNG

Losing your very special dog companion is never easy. I lost Gilly who is the dog pictured in my avatar in May 2015. She was the fifth Lab I have had the privilege of having in my life. All of them so very special!

In December 2015, "Lucy" arrived in our home. My wife describes her now as "60 pounds of rocket fuel" and that she will probably like her when she is 'five'.

Life will never be the same again without the friend you just lost, but it can still be very good!
Mike

These stories of loved pets is so comforting. As I said before I am reading this thread on a regular basis. My wife sent me a message yesterday from work, "having a bad day, really missing Captain." She attached one of her videos of him. Every time we went for a walk we passed "Captains Creek". It was a 12ft wide creek that cut through the property. He was obsessed over his creek. The creek had to have nothing but water in it. The minute a blow-down fell into it he would immediately run down and pull it out, no matter what the size was. The bigger the branch the longer he would be in there, and the more he would "yell at it" She sent me the video of a time just a little while ago where he was just doing his weekly work of pulling out branches. I broke down crying. My wife and I are going out to the property next week and building him a small rock pile grave right next to his favorite wood chuck hole.

I bought my wife a shih Tzu puppy (I know, not a hunting pup but it was for her) for her birthday about 6 years ago, mainly as a "therapy" dog. She has to be the smartest dog I've ever known. We trained her to pee and poop on one of those grass pads inside the house. We have this routine when she poops...I pick it up, flush it, and ask her if she wants a treat. I throw the treats for her to chase, then when the treats are gone, she loves chasing and biting my hand. And as soon as I'd say stop, she'd stop. She also loves chasing one of those laser pointers, we call it The Bug. Any word that sounds like "bug" she gets all excited, tail wagging like crazy.

Another bonding thing we do sometimes on weekends is ride up to get fast food breakfast in the morning. All I have to say is "wanna go for a ride?" and she'd sit by the door until I was ready.

So sorry for your loss. I hope these stories give you some comfort. My wife routinely cries about the day we'll lose her and she's a "young" six years old.

Our house is so quiet nowadays. We had a family meeting (that's what I call it when my wife and I need 5min of my twin 10yr old boys time) and we discussed a new puppy. My sons were so excited I knew it would ultimately be the direction we would go in. Our family misses Captain so much but he is clearly gone. We have a lot of love to give and there are few dogs that win the lottery when they are adopted by sportsman like us and get to truly do what they were meant to do. My wife and I agreed two things need to happen. We need to properly lay a piece of Captain out at our land to say goodbye, and we need to make a collage of a bunch of photos showing his life and how much he meant to us to be displayed in the house. Maybe then we would be able to do this without breaking down every 10 minutes. So that is in the works. Next, we spent hours and hours researching and calling Lab breeders to see what they offered. We want a Lab because they seem to fit our family and lifestyle well. We found a family 2hrs from us that just recently had a litter and they have 4 black lab males with only one spoken for so far. This family breeds their Labs for hunting and disposition. They have been doing it for 30+ years and have a beautiful property where everyone is on site. The guy was great to talk to. His breeding was about the love of the animal, not about making money. We put a deposit down and scheduled our date to go and get this little monster, Vet's day, Nov 11th. The little guy will be 8 weeks old. We all discussed names and when I threw one out there it just stuck. I said man, "they look like little bear cubs" and that was it. He will be named, "Bear." We are all very excited about our new friend coming in about a month. We have gone out and bought all kinds of new toys, beds, leashes, etc. Then my wife and I cried again when we remembered how much Captain destroyed as a puppy! Quick story on that-One night I had won a 50/50 while at a stag. I gave half back to the groom and walked out with about 250 bucks. Awesome, some new hunting item will surely be coming my way. I came home, put my wallet on the nightstand and went to bed. My wife woke me up about 7am with tears in her eyes and said, "Im so sorry" thinking something was really bad I jumped out of bed and there it was. Captain took my leather wallet off the nightstand and shredded it, along with all the money in it. There were leather scraps and pieces of cash all over the house. My bank cards all had puppy teeth holes in them, drivers license was one piece of eaten plastic. Apparently when I let him out when I got home to go do his business I didn't secure the handle properly on his crate when I put him back in. He got out and went crazy. He smelled me from the scent retained in the leather wallet and just chewed for who knows how long. OMG he was a monster! Well thanks for reading, I will surely post again and certainly update this when our new monster arrives. Again, I really appreciate everyone's stories and condolences, this has become a regular read for me..
Jesse

Saw this video today and thought of this thread.

Good lord that was bittersweet . Such a nice video, brought it all back out for me. it's good though , I never want to forget my beloved captain. well we have Bear now, he's 12 weeks old and doing great. he's a wonderful addition to our family . man I forgot how difficult puppies were...it's like a baby in the house again. up all night (well my wife is anyway ) accidents in the house , chews everything . ..we love him though , he's a lot of fun. I'll get pics up soon.

Back