"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Looks good Okie. I've girdled with chainsaw as you did without spraying and they died that year, but your process may be faster. And yep, I have a few of those roost trees on my place. Guarantee turkey mornings.

Looks good Okie. I've girdled with chainsaw as you did without spraying and they died that year, but your process may be faster. And yep, I have a few of those roost trees on my place. Guarantee turkey mornings.
I squirted them to try to kill the stump as I don't want Hickory regen from the stump/base of the tree... I really, really dislike Hickory...It has got to be the "sweet gum" of my area...

I squirted them to try to kill the stump as I don't want Hickory regen from the stump/base of the tree... I really, really dislike Hickory...It has got to be the "sweet gum" of my area...

Okie,
My problem is I have hickory and sweet gum as my primary trees. If I killed them all at once then I would only have a few black jack oaks with one or two white oak. I'm screwed. I'm going to take a few here and there and plant as I go. I don't know what else to do. Kill and plant. I apologize for jumping in the conversation. It just hit home.

The rain gods are smiling on You! Hope those seedlings soak it up and retain. Did your acorns sprout? They would be in a crucial stage just now
Sprouting in the bags in the refrigerator...I am always so far behind...Goal has to been to put them out on our additional 15 acres at home 10 but can't seem to find time...just have to make time somehow...Heck I have had bare root seedlings in the bag they came in from the stat nursery that I got 2nd week of March that I am still planting. 50 left after yesterday as I forgot to mention I got 75 seedlings planted yesterday in the midst of sawing, girdling, stand placement, and feeder install...
Okie,
My problem is I have hickory and sweet gum as my primary trees. If I killed them all at once then I would only have a few black jack oaks with one or two white oak. I'm screwed. I'm going to take a few here and there and plant as I go. I don't know what else to do. Kill and plant. I apologize for jumping in the conversation. It just hit home.

I would aggressively be doing something about that. Hack and squirt and replacements everywhere either with direct seeded acorns or seedlings... Hack and squirt would be the best route because you are not only killing the tree but also killing the roots so it just doesn't pop up a few feet over from the original...

I let the rest of the batch get too dry. Was going to usek as hog bait but they have dried out now. We can always try again next year!!

Some pics from "Home 10...errr 25" yesterday afternoon. Place is shaping up nicely as far as the habitat stuff and going to have some fruit this year and hopefully our first sawtooth acorns.

Some persimmon.

87dd8e207b778070ec3a12af6579f8e2.jpg

Red clover, white clover, Crimson clover, WW, WR...and a few sawtooth, Indian paintbrush, pond (still real low but a little better), etc...

0832da6995b992577c814ce7848b7ef0.jpg

1c625b91a86a7c01a849d971056573a3.jpg

64918c1acc03e15475834eee22be6193.jpg

e2b2509b3cc630f6a4d5c8c691b6932a.jpg

3c15371d6728dbbf185707799bcdf544.jpg

163382da5db701898248bfe25f4b406e.jpg

2d4918f0bab4eb97d4cd730a4b54febe.jpg

61017a9dcbb3840ded632cc0a18161f5.jpg

b236a8aa4500e2fc9a295712aa3d932a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never in my life did I think I would regularly check Tahlequah, OK on the weather radar, but I have done so many times over the last year or so. I even smiled when I saw those rain bands headed that way last week. Funny how these things work. Haha!

Never in my life did I think I would regularly check Tahlequah, OK on the weather radar, but I have done so many times over the last year or so. I even smiled when I saw those rain bands headed that way last week. Funny how these things work. Haha!
I didn't think I would check it as often as I do either. lol

I used to drag race a bunch and hated to see rainy weekends but now I may be out in the yard dancing in it when it happens :)

They are saying we may get as much as 3 more inches this week starting with a chance late tonight. I am just hoping for our lakes, ponds, creeks, and underground water table to get replenished because my understanding is that when all of this gets too low we don't have enough moisture on/in the ground to draw moisture from the sky. Kind of like when a front approaches a large body of water storms start popping up and dropping rain near those bodies of water and dissipates as it moves into drier locales...

I am just hoping for our lakes, ponds, creeks, and underground water table to get replenished because my understanding is that when all of this gets too low we don't have enough moisture on/in the ground to draw moisture from the sky.

I remember a few summers ago the weather guy was explaining how it had been hot and dry for so long that it created a dome of high pressure in the atmosphere that steered fronts around us. That sucked... You could actually see it happening.

I got another 8/10ths from last night to early this morning. Ponds are full and everything looks great. More rain on the way this weekend. Feast or famine for us bro!

Much better this week...I am hoping next week this map is completely white! They are calling for 4 - 7" with some areas getting up to 10" in our area Friday - Sunday.

Our local "Red Fern Festival" in Tahlequah is this weekend and I wish they would reschedule because I am not getting the GTO out for the car show in that kind of rain...a bunch of the festivities are around a creek that runs through town and it will be flooding. Safety issue...

0f58af288139ed72274135e83cbf63b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90 has a better ring to it! Haha!
Yes it does...as soon as I can coordinate with a surveyer and dozer operator and get a fixed line on the southern border of that new 10 I am going to take that fence down that runs between this new 10 and the rest of our place and move it to the line between that house and our new 10. This will make our 90 seamless as far as travel throughout for ourselves and the deer. I put up a really tight 5 strand fence on that side due to the neighbors...The west and North on that 10 are already fenced so I just have to fence the south side of that 10...

No more "public" hunting of that 10 like once was...I have heard many a shot from there these past 3 years while deer hunting...

Back