"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Thanks j-bird on the buck kudos...sitting with my grandson this morning but no deer movement. It's hot, windy, and we had a huge full moon. Not good :(
My wife was telling me about this "super moon" and all this stuff about it. I think she thought it was a good thing. I told her that my experience tends to be that a full moon is a bad thing because the deer can see well all night long and feed all night long and then stay bedded all day for the most part which limits movement and makes hunting more difficult. She looked at me like I was the crazy one! The full moon should kick off some of the rutting activity which is a good thing. I don't hunt by the moon any more - I used to look at it as a way to gain an edge, but now it just clouds things. I tend to not hunt until closer to Halloween on my place because until the rut urges start kicking in all I do is educate my local does and that isn't good. The rut timing here is pretty predictable year in and year out - weather conditions can screw with what you see, but the phases are all within a week either way nearly every year here from what I have seen over the past 15 years. I will say though that anytime you can hunt is a good time to hunt! Early season I try to focus on cold fronts....if I'm ready...which I typically am not. Good luck and hope you see something to give that grandson something to get excited about!

Just getting caught up Johnny. What a journey with Laid Back 9, many congrats my friend. Great buck! I really enjoyed the pics and stories. Good grief with the trespassers...it never ends.

Amazing, absolutely amazing. However, it does sound like it could have been an honest mistake. I don't think trespassers would be trying to make an actual food plot. But I could be wrong. I have been very lucky at my place. Only trespasser I have had was a lady trying to pick pecans just inside my fence line. Neighbor ran her off. Glad it didn't turn ugly.

Todd

I will have to disagree with you on trespassers not putting in a food plot. I had just this thing happen on one of my farms this year. We found 4 stands, 4 cameras and a alfalfa/brassica food plot. Then when I finally did get to talk to the trespassers I was accused of stealing their stands and cameras which of course were on my property. Talk about nerve

I will have to disagree with you on trespassers not putting in a food plot. I had just this thing happen on one of my farms this year. We found 4 stands, 4 cameras and a alfalfa/brassica food plot. Then when I finally did get to talk to the trespassers I was accused of stealing their stands and cameras which of course were on my property. Talk about nerve
Crazy people in this world.

Just getting caught up Johnny. What a journey with Laid Back 9, many congrats my friend. Great buck! I really enjoyed the pics and stories. Good grief with the trespassers...it never ends.
Oh and so glad to hear and see you getting rained on in the stand. Hope this turns into a regular thing for a while.
The laid back 9 journey was something that has been ongoing. I had a bunch of post about him on the old QDMA forum that are now all gone. He used to hang with a buck I named Brows that disappeared way too soon last fall...I suppose fallen to one of the many rifle wielding folks that hunt throughout our early archery only season around us...

Poacher/trespasser folks are wearing us out down on our deer lease. I am hoping to tag my second and last buck during next weeks blackpowder season so I can become the "westside patrol" for the rest of the fall since I have a bunch of vacation to burn... If someone shoots then they had better be ready for me to be there PDQ...

Regular rain would be nice but the very long range forecast only shows low chances once a week or so with above normal temperatures. Sure hard to plot in these conditions!

Thanks for reading :)

Didn't your guys "think" they had that area due to some misinformation from another outfitter? If so I could definitely see where they thought they might have the right but they should have definitely verified! Our trespasser/plotter guys couldn't even give us a story like that. They KNEW they only owned 290 feet off of the road and they still tried to plot and hunt over 1300 feet in with no permission whatsoever.
Crazy people in this world.

Yes there are and that is why I consider myself lucky being unarmed and alone when I confronted them...

On a good note a fellow lease member and very good friend of mine and I went up there and cut 3 big trees across that "road" they built into our deer lease. We posted all of it the week before so hopefully this helps for awhile...

1211523adf45636939a20466ae69033c.jpg

Last edited:
Hate that with your tresspasser/poacher problem. You guys make my methhead, poacher, tresspasser crowd here is not so bad compared to other places. I'm real fortunate at my farm. Guys are a little trigger happy thru the year especially in this downturned, layed off, economy but other than that shouldn't complain. Good lluck on your next buck regardless . Glad you got some rain anyway.

I got across the road yesterday to pull trail cam cards and look the plots over. Trail cams are not showing any rut behavior other than occasional sparring and is showing a very large number of does and small bucks have moved in with some of the larger bucks now being MIA. I figure the larger deer have moved over to acorns and quieter surroundings for the next couple weeks and if our plots hold out and keep attracting the does they should come back with a vengeance!

North plot is taking a beating. Plot is WR, WW, and Daikon Radish all planted first weekend in September with very little moisture since planting time. I also overseeded it with red clover earlier this month. Plotwatcher shows deer utilizing it some in morning and heavy usage in evening and I am sure night usage is very heavy!

ba8b0200a6f5613f4a05e74c170a92b7.jpg

cd2c23340260bb7ef322e351d612924a.jpg

Our other hunting plot is called south plot and looks a bit better but it is also closer to our home and the county road. Some morning usage, some afternoon usage and heavy night usage.

I left a section of Durana white clover that makes up about 1/4 of this plot and the rest was planted identical to north plot...

740264b8eeacfd8bc5f32854155665f7.jpg

f9c604e030994d724d01dc917dda6c0d.jpg

9a9e165603f663d99c2c38da43badd76.jpg

015a2c911c329b35d3553daf2d3e5b03.jpg

c35ff985f172756c60682264d5f37a5f.jpg

789723f2cbd8cc010a02f803a08470a6.jpg

Most activity seems to be in established Durana section in the south plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate that with your tresspasser/poacher problem. You guys make my methhead, poacher, tresspasser crowd here is not so bad compared to other places. I'm real fortunate at my farm. Guys are a little trigger happy thru the year especially in this downturned, layed off, economy but other than that shouldn't complain. Good lluck on your next buck regardless . Glad you got some rain anyway.
Our deer lease is basically a huge valley with some mountains thrown in. Our entire west side is a ridge bluff and the property line is right on the crest of that bluff. The folks who live up there have small lots all along it and most of them put their trailers right on the top of the bluff for the view. MANY years ago the guy who owned all of that land where those lots are also owned all of our deer lease and he gave everyone who bought a lot an informal permission to hunt all of the land east of their trailers. The current owner bought the place many years ago and it has been an ongoing battle. I have run countless folks off over the years. Some cite that old verbal agreement but it was void once the property changed hands.The problem is that just under the bluff is a bench that runs all along there and the deer travel the bench. Most of the deer shot there are shot from the actual trailers overlooking the bluff and then they have to wait till dark to sneak in and get the deer. Most of the property line along that side would be real work to get a deer up that bluff...All of this is compounded by the fact that they are not allowed to hunt their own lots so any shooting we hear is poaching if it comes from the westside...

Last edited:
Finally the hollow is getting a nice little rain! Not supposed to last long but here in Oklahoma any little bit we can get helps...:)

Poor Home 10 left out again :(

ff011febb58a4a844d9e3f79e983c63b.jpg

With the warm temps we are going to have for this weekends upcoming muzzleloader week this is going to be a must!

b501c7297bd402a41eb0dbbb673d1373.jpg

great news on the rain. The storm is about 2 miles south of my farm so it looks like i am staying dry.

great news on the rain. The storm is about 2 miles south of my farm so it looks like i am staying dry.

Did it ever move onto your place?

We got a little on home 10 but here on the hollow we did well!

f1de9527d3983a627c09c39c49acd017.jpg

Those are good rain totals, OkieK. I am hoping for some today/tomorrow, possibility is there but percentage chances are low. I am really glad I used the chisel plow this year because it created some furrows to catch the seed and gather what rain we get.

Back