Turkey Hunting Thread!

I see those tree tubes in the back. I have permission to hunt 2 other farms much bigger than mine, but I believe with the warm weather and steady rains the wheat is going to be too tall. Its up over my knees. Next saturday I will be setup up with my dad at our farm. Neighbor across the road had 9 birds in his bare field yesterday afternoon, just hope they will cross the road for my clover plots.

308ba25ba5a5868bfddb121f017d701a.jpg

Blondie playing hookie today and chasing turkeys with her old man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Good Luck to your daughter!
I heard turkeys gobbling from my porch as I was leaving for work this morning...Should be a great day!

Hot and windy is the forecast for the weekend...may get a morning hunt in...

308ba25ba5a5868bfddb121f017d701a.jpg

Blondie playing hookie today and chasing turkeys with her old man.

My oldest is 7 and wants to go "hunting". Been debating taking her and sitting in the popup blind. She has been deer hunting 2x and did good on being quiet and still (for a 7 year old). How old was blondie when you first took her? I have 3 daughters so I dont want to rush her and push them away from hunting too soon

Blondie was 4 when I started taking her hunting. Started actually hunting at 12 or 13.

Got a little time before one of my grandsons birthday parties to get out.doing a short walk from the house because our place is covered up in birds this year...

Good luck to everyone!

Two very close calls yesterday. First set the birds quietly snuck up behind us and busted. We heard them coming in leafs but somethinf spooked then. No gobbling with this groop. Headed to another place and called 3 long beards to within 15 yards but blondie just couldn't get a shot. They stayed behind a large cedar tree. Back at it this morning. Made a little blind in a big cedar looking into a small opening. Good luck to all.
7667305dc3437527347026dfaaca1a51.jpg

I have seen 4 hens, 3 long beards, and 2 jakes so far this morning. I am set up on our expanded south plot. 1st hen all alone decided she didn't like something, pucked a couple times and flew out of the clover.

Later 3 hens came running in followed by 2 jakes. The hens worked all the way across the plot to me and the jakes stopped out mid plot. 3 long beards came in strutting about 75 yards from me and the jakes started acting goofy and went back the way they came with the long beards following along while strutting...pretty sure they are confused...

5bafc0ae6e64889090795ff4988cc610.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck,I long for the days my daughters were young and could go hunting whenever.Now off in college they will be home for easter.They both shot their first deer and turkey when they were 8.Started hunting about as soon as out of diapers

Opening day of youth season worked out pretty good for the kid in MO. Two beards and a little over 23.5 pounds, not bad for his first bird. Full story and more pics in my property thread.

83c2fd0cd0954da0dd6ab3f81ba39a0e.jpg
That's a heck of a first bird.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Season opened April 1 and my first hunt was April 3rd, but it had 25mph winds which didn't help the hunt. I went this afternoon and had 2 hens walk by within 5yds and then they left. I sat until about 6:45pm and decided to get up and go find the birds I kept hearing gobble in the distance. I slipped across the creek and made my way towards the cattle hay piles and saw 2 hens feeding(this is my brothers cattle lease). I watched for a few minutes and was about to leave when I noticed more birds coming. I sat and watched them for a few minutes and it was all hens and they were fighting each other. The dominate hen began cutting and thats when I heard the magical sound.... gobbles. I got set up to shoot and watched the toms strutting around the hens and making their way to my right. One of the hens saw me move and began putting, but she was also walking towards me. This made several of the other hens follow and brought the toms within my shotgun range.... so I thought. Every time I would take the safety off, hens would get around the toms. safety back on and wait.... hens move, safety off, finger on the trigger and more hens, safety on..... This went on for 15 minutes or so. I decided to shoot the non dominate tom since it is my brothers lease and I didn't want to kill a good bird on his place(my 26yo nephew hunts with him). Well, the tom was standing all by his lonesome and I clicked the safety off and put the bead on his head and squeezed. DOWN GOES FRAZIER!! I jump up in a full sprint and birds scattered. I make it around the brush pile to see my birds head up, uh oh. I immediately put my foot on his head and grab his legs and give 3 good hard pulls. Game over. What I thought was my shotgun range was a little on the misjudged side. It ended up being a little over 70yds. My comfort zone is 60yds and under, with 50yds or less being prime if they don't want to come into my personal space. Anyway, I am on the board and have 3 more birds to kill and until May 14 to do it. This lets me relax a little and if I don't kill another bird, at least I didn't get skunked.

10" beard, 1" spurs and 19lbs.
IMG_1334_zpsh7ohuzi4.jpg

IMG_1339_zpskb9vwk6e.jpg

IMG_1334_zpsh7ohuzi4.jpg

Listening to the whippoorwills and owls was a big part of the spring for me, sadly the whippoorwills are long gone from our area. At least we still have the owls.

Congrats to all the turkey hunters that have scored and good luck to all of us who haven't. I have been hunting 3 times and been covered in birds every time but have not had a shot. Everytime a tom has been close enough it has been in a spot I have no shot (usually to my right). This past weekend I hunted a little bit both mornings because I had lots of other stuff to do in the afternoons and the wind was insane with wind speeds from 30-50 mph...hearing any gobbles was a challenge in itself even when the birds were close. Sunday evening the wind died off an hour or so before dark and toms were gobbling all around our house but I just continued to weedeat. Yesterday evening toms were gobbling all over our south plot but since they were already there and it is impossible to sneak in on the birds in that plot when they are already there I just sat on the porch and listened to them...

Hoping to get a hunt in sometime this weekend again but as always have a list of chores to get done...

Back