Trail Camera of Choice?

Crooked Crow has... had great success with Covert Scouting camera's but occasionally it will throw a picture like this. What camera's do you recommend?
July 27th 330 (Small).JPG

A lot of cameras will throw a pic like that right at "transition," the time it is transitioning from daytime to night pics. That being said, I'm not buying anything else but Brownings for now. Haven't found anything better, other than Reconyx.

I always went with bushnell as my "top" camera, but after three years, they tend to just lose their mind, or the screen goes out. Just bought an essential on eBay for 80.00. Gonna see how that works out. I've heard nothing but great things from browning, but accidentally found the new bushnell while I was in the process of buying a browning. The 50.00 difference swayed me back to bushnell.

I've always had great luck with Moultrie, specifically their M80 series, I've had the same 4 now for 3 years without a hiccup

I'm a fan of the older Coverts and Bushnell Aggressor. I love the Brownings when they work--I've got some that keep powering down:(. Reconyx has been bullet proof but I'd rather have 4-5 lesser cameras covering more area.

Last edited:
http://exodusoutdoorgear.com/
I have switched to all Exodus cameras and have not had the first issue. You can't beat their warranty.
I run a couple of coverts, two cheap wild game's, and one browning. Love the picture quality on the coverts, but hate the pic count on windy days. The browning is OK, without the pic quality of the coverts. It is interesting that the wild game cameras have lasted five years now, but suffer in battery life and pic quality. Im going to be watching for the reviews on this Exodus Camera. Trail cam pro says that they are currently testing them now.

I run a couple of coverts, two cheap wild game's, and one browning. Love the picture quality on the coverts, but hate the pic count on windy days. The browning is OK, without the pic quality of the coverts. It is interesting that the wild game cameras have lasted five years now, but suffer in battery life and pic quality. Im going to be watching for the reviews on this Exodus Camera. Trail cam pro says that they are currently testing them now.

Which Browning are you running? I have 2 of the $59 one from Cabelas black Friday sale, they aren't good, really only usable on video. I have 6 of the BTC 5HD, it is a different animal. The night pictures are incredible, way better than any of the coverts I've ever owned. Covert's day pictures are good, I always thought, they just trigger way too much with not enough flash to suit me.

I have 15 of them out now and will have 35 running by the end of August. I am waiting on my second shipment right now. I like everything about them so far. They are working on a wireless network camera as we speak and I am hoping to try a few of them by the end of the year.

Which Browning are you running? I have 2 of the $59 one from Cabelas black Friday sale, they aren't good, really only usable on video. I have 6 of the BTC 5HD, it is a different animal. The night pictures are incredible, way better than any of the coverts I've ever owned. Covert's day pictures are good, I always thought, they just trigger way too much with not enough flash to suit me.
You are correct. My Browning night pics are awesome and there are no false triggers. I have the smaller 10 MGPXL. I also believe that I am really anal about pic quality and my choices. Blizzard, thanks for posting some pics.

I really love the moultrie mini series, m100 and m80. The only issue I have had is over sensitivity with the m100 but I updated the firmware and that fixed the issue. Lately I have been picking up any cheap camera I can find for bear hunting public wood cameras incase the get stolen or bears get to them. I have a wildgame black out and it's pretty cheap, I am testing out a new moultrie I got for 59 right now.

My favorite trail cam is a Moultrie D-55 IRXT. I had two...one got stolen last year. It was in a security box with a python cable:mad:. The one I have still works great and takes decent night time pics. I have a Browning Dark Ops, love the size, day pics and videos but night pics are blurry. Purchased a Wildgame Innovations but hated the controls and setting it up. I won't ever buy another one of those nor recommend them. I've also got a couple of cheap walmart Moultrie $50 specials. One has gone permanently black/white, the other still works but lots of false triggers with them.

2 - Browning Spec Ops
2 - Browning Dark Ops
2 - Covert MP 8
5 - Moultrie M990i (First year models)
7 - Bushnell Trophy Cams
1- Moultrie M80 as a backup

Brownings are brand new so the jury is still out on them. They do take excellent photos that I have already seen.

I had an original terrible experience with Covert with some Black 60s that were garbage. These little Covert MP8s are on year 3 and they have been great for the money.

Bought 8 original M990i years ago and 5 are still kicking. I think I'm on year five and they still do a great job. Haven't had much luck with Moultrie since the 990i's though.

I was a diehard Bushnell Trophy Cam guy before the Aggressors came out. Still have 7 of the 8 TC I bought 4 years ago and they just take photos after photos. The Aggressors I had had the same problems my early TC models had in '08 or '09.

The Moultrie M80 still takes great photos. Don't really ever use it now but keep as a spare if I need to send another camera in.

I have been thru so many I can't keep count. My latest buy was a Browning last season and it seems to be doing great. Had two Coverts also and one was great the other was not. Bushnells seem to be holding their own. I want a Reconyx but the $$$ hold me back from that. There was a guy named Fireman Jim from JTS wildlife cameras on the old QDMA forum. Not sure if he is still going at it, but seemed to have some good products. Never tried them but might this year.

I have two 2015 BTC-8 and one BTC-7. All three of them are slow to transition from dark to daylight and visa versa. I use video only and for me this is a killer because all videos are black to almost black during this period. The best cam on the market IMO is the Uway 200 or 400.

Last edited:
Back