The value of no till

I don't have anything to offer to this thread other than to say how jealous I am of you guys with your fresh 100 horse tractors with cabs and your no till plows. I dream of one day when I don't have to use 50 plus year old farm equipment to do what I love almost as much as hunting, which is planting and maintaining my whitetail habitat.

In the mean time though, I enjoy reading and learning about how this no-till technique is progressing.
Ya but they could be stopped because of an expensive computer or sensor, whereas as long as the old stuff can suck-squeeze-bang-blow and has oil pressure it'll work

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here’s what I will be planting into:

02b42cfb42d0647be43be55e8aa940b1.jpg

353f3346945ebf604a92d0763e15b803.jpg

The peas have pods, so I expect they will be finished soon. I’m leaving for Canada to duck hunt for a week Tuesday...by the time I get back I should be able to drill right into this. I’ll be using a GP 706NT.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Ya but they could be stopped because of an expensive computer or sensor, whereas as long as the old stuff can suck-squeeze-bang-blow and has oil pressure it'll work

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Suck squeeze bang and blow...thats funny. Exactly the same principle the old turbo jet engines used years back on early model Lears , Sabres and such. Very simple design. Pour enough jet fuel through it and it becomes a rocket. Never heard it used for a tractor.

Over the decades I've haven't learned much except one thing. Its not the farming thats all that hard, its learning to keep everything running thats the challenge.

I use a JD 5400 and a GP606NT 3 point drill. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I got good plots and had just as much fun 20 years ago with my little JD 770, disc, and spreader. As I did more and more I have continuously grew into bigger equipment.

I guess I'll just have to stick to the sprayer, disc , drag, and cultipacker. I would love to have a drill, but I just can't justify the cost. If I could ever find a good used one for cheap, I'd buy one.

I thought about a Kasco, but most of what I've read says that they are not true no-till. If it wouldn't work for me, that would be a $5K mistake !

I guess I'll just have to stick to the sprayer, disc , drag, and cultipacker. I would love to have a drill, but I just can't justify the cost. If I could ever find a good used one for cheap, I'd buy one.

I thought about a Kasco, but most of what I've read says that they are not true no-till. If it wouldn't work for me, that would be a $5K mistake !
If you buy a drill you can sell your disc, drag and cultipacker. I was planning to continue to do some tillage when I bought my drill. After seeing how quick and easy a notill drill works I just can't get the motivation to go raise dust anymore. I haven't tilled since.

I use a JD 5400 and a GP606NT 3 point drill. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I got good plots and had just as much fun 20 years ago with my little JD 770, disc, and spreader. As I did more and more I have continuously grew into bigger equipment.
We're kindred spirits here. JD 5400 & GP drill. And I identify with continuously growing into bigger equipment. I guess that comes from having so much fun with smaller equipment that I wanted to do more. And not regretting it one bit.

Back