The value of no till

Baker

I didn't really want to start a new thread to post this pic but couldn't find a good place to park it.It has been extremely dry here since the hurricane so I postponed planting as late as possible. Finally I decided to gamble. It has to rain soon...right?

I think this pic shows one of the values of no till. I am drilling elbon rye into standing soy beans. The plants have naturally defoliated and are loaded with beans. While the drilling knocks some of the beans to the ground quite a bit is left standing on the stalk. Seems best of both worlds to me. Newly sprouted soy beans lasting till frost with abundant beans available all winter for forage. That with 120lbs/acre rye growing underneath.

Once I have finished all the rye plantings I'm going to continue the gamble and begin drilling the clovers , brassicas, wheat, etc.

IMG_4430.JPG

Is there an advantage to drilling in the rye, versus broadcasting? Better germination when the rains finally arrive? Less seed consumption by birds?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is there an advantage to drilling in the rye, versus broadcasting? Better germination when the rains finally arrive? Less seed consumption by birds?

Simple answer is that I have a drill. Speculation proposes that germination is faster especially when the top layer of soil is powder puff dry.I don't think I have any predation loss. What I know is that I drilled some rye last Thursday and it was all up and growing within 72 hrs. Appreciate also I am drilling into thatch.

My summer mix (planted mid July) is still going strong. It’s cowpeas, sunn hemp, millet, and sunflowers. Think I should no till straight into it with fall mix or spray it first?

My summer mix (planted mid July) is still going strong. It’s cowpeas, sunn hemp, millet, and sunflowers. Think I should no till straight into it with fall mix or spray it first?
In this situation if you've got a good no-till drill I'd drive straight through that stuff without spending time and money mowing or spraying. The plants you have growing are all self terminating, and are potential deer food and cover. I love that mix, I plant it myself as a summer soil builder mix sometimes with some more stuff like sorghum, ladino clover, oats or diakon radish thrown in for good measure. I call it my jungle mix, because it creates a summer wilderness in your field.

Last edited:

The title says it all. My experience is that notill drilling 50 lb of beans or grain is the equivalent of broadcasting 200.V__35E8.JPG

Last edited:
I didn't really want to start a new thread to post this pic but couldn't find a good place to park it.It has been extremely dry here since the hurricane so I postponed planting as late as possible. Finally I decided to gamble. It has to rain soon...right?

I think this pic shows one of the values of no till. I am drilling elbon rye into standing soy beans. The plants have naturally defoliated and are loaded with beans. While the drilling knocks some of the beans to the ground quite a bit is left standing on the stalk. Seems best of both worlds to me. Newly sprouted soy beans lasting till frost with abundant beans available all winter for forage. That with 120lbs/acre rye growing underneath.

Once I have finished all the rye plantings I'm going to continue the gamble and begin drilling the clovers , brassicas, wheat, etc.

View attachment 9777
what size is your tractor? What size is the drill?

Is it a 3 pt attachment?

bill

Is it a 3 pt attachment?

bill
I have a JD 5400, 65hp 4wd pulling a Great Plains 1006 end wheel conventional hitch drill. This is a perfectly matched setup. The tractor handles it well, could pull with less hp, but wouldn't want to be much lighter in tractor weight.

What I know is that I drilled some rye last Thursday and it was all up and growing within 72 hrs. Appreciate also I am drilling into thatch.

X2, drilled on the 23rd in dry thatch rye was 2+" on the 30th...no rain between. Dug down an inch or so and had moisture in the soil below.

I did not drill into the beans, broadcast into them. Didn't want to knock them down.

I agree with Mennoniteman assuming your drill can cut through everything. Depends somewhat on how thick everything is. You will be able to tell quickly once you start drilling. Also watch coulters to be sure they aren't getting clogged. Another option is to mow as high as your deck can cut. While this will kill the sunflowers it won't kill the sunnhemp or peas. In fact it may help the hemp be a bit more manageable.Then drill to that. Send pics.

Is it a 3 pt attachment?

bill
120 hp JD with 8' Great planes drill. The drill works off 3 pt hitch and I can pick it up on turn rows.The drill came with wheels on the back but after using it for a while we took the wheels off finding it worked better just being picked up by the hitch.

We do something similar. We shred our plots then drill Elbon Rye and Oats. Works good for us!

095daa35306cf7bcd7f04a44112b0c91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I remember reading a study, I think it was by a university, PSU maybe, that drilled covers were always quite a bit more effective at getting established and at a lower seeding rate than broadcasting. Plus it definitely makes sure the birds don't eat well

I don't have anything to offer to this thread other than to say how jealous I am of you guys with your fresh 100 horse tractors with cabs and your no till plows. I dream of one day when I don't have to use 50 plus year old farm equipment to do what I love almost as much as hunting, which is planting and maintaining my whitetail habitat.

In the mean time though, I enjoy reading and learning about how this no-till technique is progressing.

Back