The New Coyote and Other Predators..... Can You Win?

As someone with a healthy hog population - do you notice much coyote scat containing hog hair?

I really don't examine coyote feces all that much, but I have seen hog hair in them. It's pretty easy to notice being so wiry and all. I tend to think that yotes don't eat many hogs because they can't handle a hog very well once it reaches 50/60 lb. IMO. I'm sure the occasional hog that size might be taken down, but smaller hogs are usually in a sounder and their attitudes probably keep the yotes looking for greener pastures. The hide on a hog is tough too, much tougher than deer, so that has to figure in also. I'm certain that occasionally small pigs get caught by coyotes though, but I'm not sure how often that happens.

The coyotes around my place don't have to chase down live pigs though, 'cause I pile them up where they can visit the dining table. :)

One thing that I can't figure out about coyotes- I hunt in urban areas close to Philadelphia and have never ever seen even one coyote there on camera or in person, although the area is totally overrun with deer and other game. I also hunt in the big woods counties of central Pennsylvania, and the bigger the woods acreage, the more coyotes I see, even though the deer population isn't high. Aren't the coyotes as urbanized as the biologists would have us believe? What's your experience with this?

Ever done it without a high fence in your home state or in a country where the general citizenship aren't allowed to own guns (on the little bit of low fenced you have there)...
I have . Want to see Okie? As a moderator we can always count on you to add value to an interesting discussion and stay on subject. { Is 15,000 acres low fenced a little bit in your world? }

Last edited:
One thing that I can't figure out about coyotes- I hunt in urban areas close to Philadelphia and have never ever seen even one coyote there on camera or in person, although the area is totally overrun with deer and other game. I also hunt in the big woods counties of central Pennsylvania, and the bigger the woods acreage, the more coyotes I see, even though the deer population isn't high. Aren't the coyotes as urbanized as the biologists would have us believe? What's your experience with this?
I have an aquaintance who is an ecologist for the city of Atlanta, GA. They have a healthy coyote population within the city limits - and a healthy deer population. They actually feel the coyotes help control the deer population to reduce deer/auto collisions. The coyotes also eat a ton of rats (and cats and dogs).

I have . Want to see Okie? As a moderator we can always count on you to add value to an interesting discussion and stay on subject. { Is 15,000 acres low fenced a little bit in your world? }
If the general citizenship of the country the land is in can't hunt with firearms then that is as good as a high fence. You mentioned in a previous post on another subject that you guys still have a bunch of high fence down there too so it must not all be low fenced...

On the land in your home state that you and your neighbor fenced in together how was the trophy hunting prior to the fence? I know you stated hat you had the same problem's the rest of us had until you made the "dictatorship" move...

Back to coyotes...I was down in Texas helping a fellow on his big fence place and they had pretty much taken care of the coyote problem by leaving small holes under the fence in places and setting snares. Caught some sneaking in but caught all the ones sneaking out...

I really don't examine coyote feces all that much
If the general citizenship of the country the land is in can't hunt with firearms then that is as good as a high fence. You mentioned in a previous post on another subject that you guys still have a bunch of high fence down there too so it must not all be low fenced...

On the land in your home state that you and your neighbor fenced in together how was the trophy hunting prior to the fence? I know you stated hat you had the same problem's the rest of us had until you made the "dictatorship" move...

Back to coyotes...I was down in Texas helping a fellow on his big fence place and they had pretty much taken care of the coyote problem by leaving small holes under the fence in places and setting snares. Caught some sneaking in but caught all the ones sneaking out...

In our state, we cant kill coyotes at night, we cant kill them in May and June during fawning season, we can not use a visible animal part when trapping (no feathers, fur, meat, etc), and we can not set a snare within six feet of a fence.

Dang Johnny, now we have high fence equivalency? Of course as you know from previous threads every ranch around ours is seriously hunted. I'm clueless as to what the size of a fence or the ratio high fence to low fence has to do with predator control and its impact on deer?

I've answered the questions you ask many times not only on the old QDMA forum but on this one as well . But you know that .Is the purpose of your asking the question yet again to understand predator impact on deer mgt? Or another motive?

I
Dang Johnny, now we have high fence equivalency? Of course as you know from previous threads every ranch around ours is seriously hunted. I'm clueless as to what the size of a fence or the ratio high fence to low fence has to do with predator control and its impact on deer?

I've answered the questions you ask many times not only on the old QDMA forum but on this one as well . But you know that .Is the purpose of your asking the question yet again to understand predator impact on deer mgt? Or another motive?
I'm in Mississippi visiting friends, they took me along predator hunting last night and we lowered your coyote population.WP_20180203_21_49_33_Pro (2).jpg

Forums would be mighty boring if everyone agreed on everything. I find it insightful when my own pre-conceived ideas and biases are challenged. We all see the world thru a different set of lenses that have been influenced by the sum of all of our experiences. Kinda like looking thru a kaleidoscope...You see exactly what you see but hand it to someone else and slightly turn the tube and they see something totally different. Sometimes we all need to adjust our kaleidoscope to see a different point of view.

Your efforts are appreciated but I live in the great state of La.

Where in Ms? Welcome to the south.
We're close to Macon. Thanks for the welcome to the south, I was thinking you were in Mississippi, my bad. I must admit, southern hospitality is understated if anything, according to my experiences here in MS us northerners could learn a thing or two from you southerners, people here have a great way of making you feel at home, and feeding you well.

I am a little disappointed to read this. I thought we were making an impact.

Anyways, we called in and whacked one last weekend. Beautiful adult male came in with a very small other yote (assuming a young female) when I hit the cottontail distress call to 175 yards and my buddy put him down with his .223

In the last two years we have killed 4, 2 with bow during deer season and 2 with gun and call in February. Heck of a lot of fun calling them in when it works.

Anyways, we called in and whacked one last weekend. Beautiful adult male came in with a very small other yote (assuming a young female) when I hit the cottontail distress call to 175 yards and my buddy put him down with his .223

In the last two years we have killed 4, 2 with bow during deer season and 2 with gun and call in February. Heck of a lot of fun calling them in when it works.
Keep it up. You aren't hurting and you might be helping - and having fun doing it.

Don't let a little fake news keep you from the whacking.....;) Carry on............

Sheesh, this thread must have the forum record for word count.. just now caught up. Just checked cameras for the last time this Winter, and I thought I’d share a picture. This yote has been around for a few years now but I only see it in the Winter. Always alone and seems to be the only one I get pictures of. I’ll consider him a friend because he’s not gonna take down an adult deer and he’ll keep the rodents in check IMG_5085.JPG

Sheesh, this thread must have the forum record for word count.. just now caught up. Just checked cameras for the last time this Winter, and I thought I’d share a picture. This yote has been around for a few years now but I only see it in the Winter. Always alone and seems to be the only one I get pictures of. I’ll consider him a friend because he’s not gonna take down an adult deer and he’ll keep the rodents in check View attachment 11172
Everyone seems to think coyotes are only spring fawn killers. Here in Pennsylvania I have had two coyotes chase a full grown deer past my stand (at a distance) while I was in it, and they had already drawn blood, I saw small spots along the track in the snow. I don't know how this chase ended, but it didn't look good for the deer, and I wasn't able to get off a shot, being too far away to be able to assist the deer.

Everyone seems to think coyotes are only spring fawn killers. Here in Pennsylvania I have had two coyotes chase a full grown deer past my stand (at a distance) while I was in it, and they had already drawn blood, I saw small spots along the track in the snow. I don't know how this chase ended, but it didn't look good for the deer, and I wasn't able to get off a shot, being too far away to be able to assist the deer.

I guess it just depends on what’s available. If there’s any rabbits or other easy prey around, I don’t think a couple of yotes are gonna spend the energy to run down a deer.. unless perhaps they find joy in that

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I would really be interested in knowing what the yotes eat this time of year at my place. No turkeys, quail, rabbits, pheasants and very few cotton rats. That leaves deer, hogs, and coons. I see a lot of deer hair and hog hair in coyote scat. Would really like to know now if they are killing or scavanging.

Back