The New Coyote and Other Predators..... Can You Win?

Ah Native, Native, Native. You raise them and then they go there off ways. LOL. I knew you couldn’t resist getting in here. So we are going to pull up one study and fly with that? I tried my best not to use islolated studies on any of this material, and it can be easily done, but I won’t dispute that study you show that I’m familiar with. I also know that the SE has a very unique situation shown by studies that I never even delved in to as it is poorly understood at this time by most reserchers. And no, improved cover does not negate loss of wildlife by predator, but it does make the prey have a greater chance of survival.

I quote Leopold often because many are so familiar with him. His philosophy is intergrated in most all his writings whether they be books or papers. I dont’ always even agree with him. His point was meant to be that man often dictates what man wants. To him and his writings, he isn’t concerned with the wolf but rather how man perceives the habitat as whole and not with tunnel visions of what man want to be.

Anyways, Why do rabbits reproduce so much? Why do birds fill a nest with eggs? Why do mice copulate continually ? Why do turtles and fish lay so many eggs? Why do deer produce 1,2, or maybe 3 fawns? Are those offspring expected to survive? There is a reason for multiple births. Maybe .5, or 1 or 2 is the norm survival rate for the habitat in which a deer is born? Maybe the habitat is incapable of supporting more than a certain number either in food or cover? Maybe the predator is simply taking what will not survive or survive below healthy standards? Maybe the assumption that predators are responsible for birth rates is inaccurate?

So lets assume we eradicate the coyote. Have you seen the video of the guy taking grown deer with his hawk? Do we now shoot all the hawks and eagles now that the yotes are gone? There is no doubt my bald eagle can easily take a fawn. I’ve seen them feed on deer carcass so I know they like venison. Now lets eradicate the bobcat. Studies show they are almost equal to coyotes in fawn deaths. Bears where they exist take more fawns probable than anything. But my area, the people like the bear but hate the coyote, until the bear tears up their dog. Where would we like this to end? Most hunters point to the coyote since he is easy to despise, but he is only part of the predator “problem”. My argument is the problem is our perspective of what we deem the norm.
We have a poster on this forum from Washington state. He shows everything from lions to bear to moose to deer. Why is it that many of the eastern whitetail hunter is so unacceaptable of the balance? If a manager chooses to remain frustrated then so be it, I am no longer in that position. I know I’ve hunted in areas of NA with the most intense predators in NA, and the game was healthier than any I’ve witnessed. I may be guilty of fake news but I base it on many years of research and observations. As I said in my first post, adjacent county has had coyote bounty for several decades and I’ve seen the boxes of paws brought in to claim those bounties each year. And yet they obviously still have as many as they started or the bounty would be not more.To each their own, their choice. I’m off to bears, I will accept as always difference of opinion on this sensitive subject. Thanks again everyone, and you can continue.

LOL, I knew your feelings would be hurt if I didn't respond in this thread and pick on you some, so I decided to not disappoint you...:D. Carry on, and if you run out of mangy yotes, you can come here and catch you some more....:D

PS - I strive for balance too, but my balance is going to tilt toward the person (me) that God left in Charge and gave DOMINION to.....(Genesis 1: 26-28).

Best Wishes dogghr.........

I dont know if it is better to have great cover or mediocre cover. I have a two acre plot of arrowleaf clover the does actually fight over. Prior to fawning, there will be four or five does hanging around that two acres. Last year, two does gave birth to fawns in that two acres. Coyote presence increases probably ten fold during fawning season. Is that because the coyotes know it is good fawning habitat and increase hunting activity in that area? More likely, I would guess the coyotes increase their presence because the pregnant does increase their presence. The does are around there all the time and I am sure to a coyote, it smells like a stock yard.
I tend to think on a much larger scale than a 2 acre clover patch as fawning cover. I would agree that can create a trap of easy pickens for predators. Make that arrow leaf field 10 acres or more and its a different story. Make the entire woodlot quality cover and not only do fawns survive but so do all forms of prey. Lots of folks leave a narrow border along plots with unmowed brush thinking it helps as well. Just creates happy hunting grounds. My idea of quality fawning grounds is for entire landscapes to be effective cover.

I tend to think on a much larger scale than a 2 acre clover patch as fawning cover. I would agree that can create a trap of easy pickens for predators. Make that arrow leaf field 10 acres or more and its a different story. Make the entire woodlot quality cover and not only do fawns survive but so do all forms of prey. Lots of folks leave a narrow border along plots with unmowed brush thinking it helps as well. Just creates happy hunting grounds. My idea of quality fawning grounds is for entire landscapes to be effective cover.

I agree. I have 15 acres of NWSG next to the arrowleaf plot that I thought the does would utilize - but they dont. The arrowleaf is a combo wheat and arrowleaf plot for food and was not intended for fawning cover. Just over the hill is a cedar hillside interspersed with nwsg - which they dont seem to favor either. I need to replace all my hard earned nwsg with arrowleaf. Hardly anything uses the grass to any extent at all. It is like a wasteland. Forty years ago - when furbearers were trapped into scarcity - we would have been covered up with quail, rabbits, nesting turkeys, and cotton rats in that nwsg. Now, all of those animals are gone - replaced by coons, possums, and coyotes.

I've got a very simplistic viewpoint on coyotes. I agree with the OP that, left to itself nature will balance itself. But I didn't rise to the top of the food chain to eat only lettuce. I want my share of turkey and venison. So I eliminate predators because I'm taking their place. Telling me that if I get a few coyotes there'll be more than ever is like saying don't antagonize the Muslims after a terrorist attack or they'll just attack again. Folks, I am the alfa male predator at my place and I'm winning against the new yotes and the old yotes and all the rest of the thieving bandits too. Two nights of predator hunting and zero eyes in the dark to show for it means progress is being made. Now the bears are a different story. Big Brother is protecting them while they pillage our fawns in broad daylight.

I've got a very simplistic viewpoint on coyotes. I agree with the OP that, left to itself nature will balance itself. But I didn't rise to the top of the food chain to eat only lettuce. I want my share of turkey and venison. So I eliminate predators because I'm taking their place. Telling me that if I get a few coyotes there'll be more than ever is like saying don't antagonize the Muslims after a terrorist attack or they'll just attack again. Folks, I am the alfa male predator at my place and I'm winning against the new yotes and the old yotes and all the rest of the thieving bandits too. Two nights of predator hunting and zero eyes in the dark to show for it means progress is being made. Now the bears are a different story. Big Brother is protecting them while they pillage our fawns in broad daylight.

I'm with you brother. Pics below from my trapper tonight. Two enemy soldiers taken out today on my place. How can life get any better than this - me setting at home making money and someone on my farm killing my coyotes for free.....I'm walking on sunshine!!!! For the first time in my life I'm considering getting one of those barn quilts to celebrate....:cool::D

Rv0frJ5h.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 11072

Just to keep the discussion fun

Rusty, that sure is a pretty deer. I hope the yote doesn't find some buddies or your deer might end up like the beautiful buck in the following thread.

BTW - If you read the whole thread you will find out that I contracted the source of the pictures and proved that they were real. Best wishes!

And - the videos I posted in this thread are just incredible at showing instances of coyotes attacking adult deer as well.

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.ph...urbing-photo-how-often-does-this-happen.3580/

Last edited:
I'm just having fun. That buck was a 3 week old fawn once. And I bet there was a coyote passing near by at some point in time. Shoot, I have a hard enough time just getting close to a turkey much less catching a photo with a coyote in it. But I'll try this spring. we do have a solid population of turkeys.

I'm not here to argue. To each his own and if your happy good for you and you can rest assured I'm very happy too. I have no problem consistently growing deer that excite me every year along with everything else that interests me and I haven't shot a predator in decades....excepting the occasional lion.

Are coons predators??? I could stand corrected.

I'm not here to argue. To each his own and if your happy good for you and you can rest assured I'm very happy too. I have no problem consistently growing deer that excite me every year along with everything else that interests me and I haven't shot a predator in decades....excepting the occasional lion.

Coons are extremely bad nest predators of turkeys.

I full well understand the predator prey relationship dynamic. If my place had a multitude of rats, rabbits and deer - it wouldnt matter. I find a lot of folks who tend to dismiss predation as a concerning factor already have a healthy deer population and ample prey base. Those of us with 15 deer per square mile and no rabbits, quail, turkeys, or cotton rats have a different viewpoint on whether coyotes and deer exist in a commensal relationship. ;)

I know this thread is about the perils of coyotes but a little higher up the food chain are these guys. They are fairly efficient predators as well My son shot this one that was just a bit to close to my home. They are quite common around the ranch. We've seen 2 this year though making any impact on them is unlikely without a concentrated effort with helicopter.

IMG_0422.JPG

I know this thread is about the perils of coyotes but a little higher up the food chain are these guys. They are fairly efficient predators as well My son shot this one that was just a bit to close to my home. They are quite common around the ranch. We've seen 2 this year though making any impact on them is unlikely without a concentrated effort with helicopter.

View attachment 11075

I know every area is different - but in the northern U S Rockies - the deer biologists used to claim that mountain lions help preserve genetic diversity by pressuring mule deer herds in the valleys of the mountain ranges, causing them to disperse to other areas, increasing contact with deer from other herds. I have read in the Rockies of WY and CO - the lions take many of the clinically infected cwd deer - reducing their contact with other deer. Yes - predators have their place. I just dont want them on my place during fawning and nesting season. Then they are more than welcome to return and predate my hogs all they want.:D

If you guys go back to my original post you see I simply gave an option out of those that choose for whatever reason to no have coronaries over predators. So no condemnation either way with me.
But if you look I said I didn’t mind contesting my thots but that you might make me laugh. And some of you are making me laugh but I like you guys way to much to attack some of these thots. Bring those yote paws down and we can cash them in at the county I mentioned. Which btw still has some of the worst deer hunting in VA. Continue on friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a interesting tidbit I ran across having nothing to do with the above comments. Found where that adjacent county actually had a huge problem with coyotes in 1953!! It, or they, had killed nearly 500 sheep until problem was solved. Was really surprised they were that prevalent at that time.
Article also mentioned one area that even today they had killed on average 30-60 yotes/yr which includes several large Mennonite farms.
The bounty rate at moment is 75$ female and 25 for male. And it indeed began in 1988 which was the fact checking I was doing since I was going on my memory and that is not too dependable.

View attachment 11075
Cool pic Baker. Those things do get huge. My buddy shot one last year in AZ and while he stands welll over 6 feet, that cat made him look small.
Interestingly I just read article today in local paper talking of eastward migration or the western mountain lion. DNA has confirmed evidence in a few place in the east including WV and as far east as Connecticut. The eastern lion is considered extinct and the last reported sighting was in Maine in 1938. I'm not sure what the Fl panther is linked to that still exists there. It is assumed that enough deer exist to allow eastward migration of lions to continue. I think the lion needs to kill a deer every 10 days for survival. Curious is they will have much if any affect on our coyote problem if and when it does occurs. And I thot a walk in the dark with bears was interesting, the mountain lion would up that game I'm sure.

Last edited:
I do read some studies where wintertime trapping of predators proved hugely successful for increasing fawn recruitment. But I agree, that for the most part - for most of us - trapping four or five months in advance of fawning season is probably not going to give great results for most of us. For me, it has to be timely. Just prior to or during fawning season for me to notice a reduction in coyote pictures on my game cams. Coyotes might do it everywhere else, but on my ground, they do not repopulate overnight. I can trap two or three coyotes in May and might not get another picture of a coyote for a month. I also thing a lot of folks have unrealistic expectations of the results provided. I read where some studies show a 100% increase in fawn recruitment. My fawn recruitment was around .5 fawns per doe - an increase over the long run to .6 fawns per doe would make me ecstatic. To achieve that milestone means if I have ten does producing five fawns - I have to save one more fawn to increase my fawning rate 20%. That is not unrealistic to think if I removed two coyotes right at fawning season, I might save one fawn.
I think a lot of folks also fail to see the forest for the trees when it comes to removal of predators - WHERE NEEDED. In one Alabama study they removed a coyote per 100 acres over a 2000 acre lease and fawn recruitment jumped 100% on that 2000 acres. I would bet money the fawn recruitment also jumped to some extent in the surrounding area, also.

I cant control what my neighbors shoot. I cant improve habitat on my neighbor’s lands. But, all of the coyotes I remove are also using my neighbors lands. So, theoretically - if I can save one fawn on my place, I MIGHT be saving a fawn or two on their places.

It also seems to me that folks with plentiful deer dont seem to think predator control is neccessary and those with fewer deer seem to consider it as one more potential management tool. I would guess if our positions were reversed, so would our consideration of predators. ;)

If you guys go back to my original post you see I simply gave an option out of those that choose for whatever reason to no have coronaries over predators. So no condemnation either way with me.
But if you look I said I didn’t mind contesting my thots but that you might make me laugh. And some of you are making me laugh but I like you guys way to much to attack some of these thots. Bring those yote paws down and we can cash them in at the county I mentioned. Which btw still has some of the worst deer hunting in VA. Continue on friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are very fond of you too, and I hope that I am the one making you laugh the hardest. I really enjoy entertaining my friends....;)

One thing I hope to come from all of this is that people can start thinking for themselves (using both their own eyes and minds) and not get too excited about studies that come from a bunch of WOLF WORSHIPING GOVERNMENT HIPPIES...:D:D Actually, there are lots of good biologists in government, but they know that if they get out of line and say anything negative about the wrong subject, that they will soon be without a job (or as we say here - might wake up missing....):eek:

This subject reminds me of the old fable about the king who was naked. Everyone could see he was naked (including himself) but no one could say it, because they were supposed to be seeing something else that they were told to see.

The sad part of this discussion is not the rise of the new coyote - no, that can be dealt with at least to some degree to mitigate the problem. The REAL SAD PART is how the minds of modern man can be brainwashed to believe anything - even when they see the opposite with their own eyes. Or, as my Granddaddy used to say - those people wouldn't know the truth if it came up and slapped them in the face....:D

Carry on dogghr, I love ya man............

Last edited:
Back