Summer time butt cook

Triple C

Cooked a few butts on saturday. Set Traeger at 250 and let em go for bout 6 hrs. Then placed in foil pans, poured apple juice on them until the pan was about 1/2 inch deep in apple juice. Covered em in foil and let em go until internal temp hit 200. Turned out as good as any I've done. Wrapping in foil for the last few hours makes em fall of the bone tender. Shredded with forks and chowed down. Here's what they looked like just before covering in foil.
IMG_3981 (1).jpg

Triple, I like to use Dr. Pepper and pull at 193. Seems like they're a little moister. Finishing in a foil covered pan is also my preferred method. Letting them stand with a towel over the foil also seems to contribute.

Triple, I like to use Dr. Pepper and pull at 193. Seems like they're a little moister. Finishing in a foil covered pan is also my preferred method. Letting them stand with a towel over the foil also seems to contribute.
Elk...I'll try Dr. Pepper next time. Seems when I pull before 200 I end up having to use a knife on some of it to separate. That was before I finished them in a foil pan covered in foil and apple juice in the bottom of the pan. I always pour a little of the au jus over the meat once I've shredded it.

Do you do any wild pigs this way, or do you not eat them?
We've tried in the early years with no luck.. Never tried one on the pellet grill. Other folks around here say they can cook feral pigs but I sure never had any luck. On top of that...I have come to view them as hated pests. Just shoot em and leave em for the buzzards n other critters.

How do you like the Traeger? I've wanted one for a while now and just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

How do you like the Traeger? I've wanted one for a while now and just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Nothing about it I don't like. Pretty much fool proof and bomb proof. A buddy of mine is about to buy a pellet grill and has been looking at the Cabela's brand online since their bout $300 less than the same size Traeger. I went by Cabela's on the way home to check them out and I must say they are impressive. Heavier gauge steel and lifetime warranty. Their magnum model is $699 compared to $999 for same size Traeger. Called him and told him I'd pull the trigger on the Cabela's for price and lifetime warranty.

Back