Dinner's Ready...

Triple C

Had most of the crew down yesterday for Easter celebration and decided a 5 ribber prime rib roast was in order. Rubbed it down with Gulden's spicy mustard, plenty of garlic, dose of Wishbone robust italian dressing, Cabela's prime rib rub, kosher salt n black pepper. Put it on the Traeger set to high about 1:00 yesterday afternoon and let it crust up for bout 45 minutes.
Rib Roast Rubbed.jpg

50 minutes later it had a nice crust going on. Turned temp down to 325 and let er go for another 2.5 hrs.
50 min in.jpg

During the 2.5 hr part of the cook, Brooks and I bench grafted 5 yates and 5 horse apple on to B118 root stock. (Thanks The LLC again for the scions!)
Bench grafts.jpg

Planted the grafts while the cook was going on and slipped up on a struttin' Tom on one of the fire breaks.
Tom Struttin.jpg

By the time we finished planting the grafts it was time to check the rib roast. Internal temp was at 129 degrees when I pulled it.
Ready to pull.jpg

After letting it rest for a while it was time to chow down!
4 slices in.jpg

This slice went on my plate.
Single Slice.jpg

After the meal it was time for the grand pups to hunt Easter eggs.
G Kids in truck.jpg

Ready...set...go! It was one fine afternoon at the farm. Wishing everyone a blessed Easter!
Egg Hunt.jpg

Oh my, I had a big lunch and thought I wasn't going to be hungry any more today - that was before your picture of that meat.....

Oh my, I had a big lunch and thought I wasn't going to be hungry any more today - that was before your picture of that meat.....
Same thing here Native; I just ate and TripleC has my mouth a waterin. That roast looks fantastic. And the great weather he must have had today the way the kids are dressed; very nice!

NH...That was one fine piece of meat if I say so myself. But...got a bad case of sticker shock when the butcher handed me the rib roast and I saw the price tag. Gonna have to be a real special occasion before I do another one of those. Can't think of a more appropriate special occasion than Easter!

Same thing here Native; I just ate and TripleC has my mouth a waterin. That roast looks fantastic. And the great weather he must have had today the way the kids are dressed; very nice!
Dave...78 degrees down here today. Bout perfect!

It is shocking what good meat costs these days.

It is also shocking at what little price the farmers here get for good beef animals. There doesn't seem to be much correlation between cost at the auctions and cost at the store. At the store it is always high regardless of the auction prices. Pork on the other hand is "cheaper than dirt" and for great cuts. Does the Traeger grill do a great job on pork loins?

That grill you use triple C sure does a nice job on the beef though. I'm liking the idea of one of those. Do you do any of the deer roasts on it as well?

78 degrees does sound about perfect, a little warm for us but better than 35 degree high that we had for about an hour today. It wouldn't have seemed cold at 35 but the lake winds were stiff enough that one had to really hold his hat tightly on his head to get into church this morning and it wasn't a balmy 35 in the morning either!

That is one fine looking meal Triple C, it looks like you guys had a great day!! It was a beautiful day, Cindy and I got quite a bit of outside work done around the house!!

It is also shocking at what little price the farmers here get for good beef animals. There doesn't seem to be much correlation between cost at the auctions and cost at the store. At the store it is always high regardless of the auction prices. Pork on the other hand is "cheaper than dirt" and for great cuts. Does the Traeger grill do a great job on pork loins?

That grill you use triple C sure does a nice job on the beef though. I'm liking the idea of one of those. Do you do any of the deer roasts on it as well?

78 degrees does sound about perfect, a little warm for us but better than 35 degree high that we had for about an hour today. It wouldn't have seemed cold at 35 but the lake winds were stiff enough that one had to really hold his hat tightly on his head to get into church this morning and it wasn't a balmy 35 in the morning either!
Dave - Pretty sure you would love a pellet grill. There’s pretty much nothing you can't cook on em. Slow cooks are the bomb. Just set desired temp and forget it. That simple. Any type wood is easily available from hardwood pellets to fruit tree pellets. Traeger was one of the early pioneers of pellet grills. Today, lots of good options. If u have a Cabela’s near by check out their private label pellet grill. Heavy construction n lifetime guarantee. Their pro series has a searing option for steaks n such.

Last edited:
Just bought a Pit Boss at my local Rural King. Was going to by a Traeger but didn't want to spend that much on a grill so far I love it.

HOLY CRAP!!!! All I can say is enjoy eating all that while you can cause there comes a day when the doctor says, "You know all that fine beef that you really love? Well you can't eat it any more because it's killing you." Don't ask me how I know. LOL

I hear you Tommy. Honestly, red meat is a delicacy for us any more. Bout the worse we eat is when we're at the farm...pork, chicken and steaks. Then comes those Sunday morning biscuits and gravy. Farm life this year is as rare as it's been since I purchased the property due to work schedule this year. During the week...it's mostly veggies, fruits, nuts n berries. Almost a vegan during the week. But...when the occasion calls, I do love me some red meat. By the way, got your scion wood grafted and planted Easter weekend. Should get them tubed next weekend when I'm down and will take pics.

Triple, if you can find a very thick cut of chuck roast, you’ll get all the flavor with less fat (and some tenderness). For beef in particular, I prefer to cook at lower to increase the smoke penetration.

NH...That was one fine piece of meat if I say so myself. But...got a bad case of sticker shock when the butcher handed me the rib roast and I saw the price tag. Gonna have to be a real special occasion before I do another one of those. Can't think of a more appropriate special occasion than Easter!

Dave...78 degrees down here today. Bout perfect!

Back