Father's Day Pork Feast

Triple C

Celebrated Father's Day yesterday at the farm and settled on a gluttony of pork for the meal. Before I get to the cook, here's a shout out to all the dads on the DHF! No more important role in a man's life than that of being a father. Now...on to the cook.

Stopped by the local grocery store an picked up a 6.5 lb butt and nice rack of baby backs.
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg

Used a concoction for the rub. Rubbed the butt in yellow sweet mustard which is just old fashion French's with brown sugar. Mustard helps the rub stick to the butt.
IMG_0354.jpg

Fired the Traegar up bout 5:45 a.m. and set temp to 185. Avg temp on my Traeger set at 185 runs closer to 200, particularly on a warm day. Had plenty of time so I wanted to do a slow, slow cook. Got the butt on the grill at 6:00.
IMG_0356.jpg
Let butt smoke for 6 hrs averaging bout 200 degrees. Spritzed it with apple juice about every hour. Then wrapped in foil with a little more apple juice and went for another 3 hrs. Pulled it about 3:45 when internal temp reached 198 and let it rest wrapped in foil for bout 1.5 hrs.
IMG_0360.jpg

This was after 6 hrs and ready to be wrapped in foil.
IMG_0375.jpg

Threw the ribs on 3 hrs after the butt had started. Rubbed in Cabela's Kansas City rub. Let them go for 4 hrs at 200 degrees. Then wrapped in foil for 2 hrs. Took em out of foil and let em go naked for another hour hitting them a couple of times the last hour with some fantastic sauce - Mudd Sauce. Next time you cook ribs try this stuff. Just the right amount of heat with a little sweetness and tartness. This was a few minutes before I took them off.
IMG_0385.jpg

Added green beans, slaw, grilling beans and chips for sides. Pretty good eating! Crew left with a whole bunch of left overs for the next couple of days.
IMG_0386 (1).jpg

Happy Father's Day!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 0
3 2 1 ribs are awesome. 4 2 1 must be a little better....They look fantastic for sure. Smoking a pork butt tomorrow myself, hope it turns out as good as yours looks

Back