Sawtooth Oaks

Do you have them caged? I've been contemplating an electric fence around some future orchard plantings instead of cages.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Only the seedlings ive planted to fill in here and there. Werent many deer here when i first planted.
They wear out the trellis trees. I thought about electric, and still might do it. I aint much of a fence builder.

Thought I would share a few pics on what sawtooths can do for screening after they've been cut. These trees were thinned and this is all regrowth from the untreated stump. Not bad...
I could hide behind here..... :D
S4100009.JPG

Not much regrowth on this stump.... maybe they ate it.

S4100011.JPG

S4100010.JPG

On another note, sawtooths hinge great. I will get some pics when I get back out to a few of my hinged sawtooths.

June 11, 2017

I walked out and checked on some Miscanthus Giganteus grass today and stopped to look at a few sawtooth oaks I'd planted along the edge about 10 years ago.

They've gotten tall......

S4570014.JPG

And because they are growing along the edge with plenty of sunlight, they have branched out wide....

S4570013.JPG

S4570012.JPG

Then I noticed this year's bumper crop! :cool: At chest height no less.

S4570010.JPG

These few trees alone will produce bushels of acorns this coming October. And all that deer activity will be right here on the Home 10 as we gear up to the rut.

S4570011.JPG

I can't wait to get over to the Little Blue property and check on the sawtooths I tubed up from potted seedlings back in March. Those things should be 10 feet tall by now. :D

I noticed my 2006 trees were loaded this year also. A pleasant site. Ready for the 2013 planting to follow suit. Agree with you on how bushy they can become. I printed a lot of mine during winter

On average how long does it take for sawtooths to start bearing acorns? We have some trees that are 8-9' tall planted in 2013 but don't have any acorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Always amazed at the sawtooth oak threads, I've had no luck at all with them, outta roughly 40 I have two left and one of those is basically dead and will soon be replaced with a pear. Mine remain highly yellow sometimes turning white before getting brown spots and dying each year. I thought it was from being to wet but its extremely dry right now and happening again.

That is crazy. Only thing I can think of would be the high pH of Nebraska soils. I had some tested in Dawes County an the pH was nearly 8. May be the reason there aren't oak trees in that part of the world. Though I think your part of the state has bur oaks??

I blame it on ph as well, although 30ft away I have several swamp white oaks that seem to be growing fine. Typically the ph on my farm is anywhere from 6.2 to about 7.5. There is bur oaks on the bluffs around here but not a single native oak growing on any of my bottom ground. Luckily most of the various oaks I have planted at the moment are doing ok!

All of my ground is bottom ground, heavy deep black soil. I'm sorta between two rivers with bluffs on either side a few miles away. Bur oaks atleast grow great on it. Just jealous of the sawtooth folks on here haha

If burs and swamp whites are growing there, sawtooths should as well. They grow side by side on my place. You don't get so cold there it'd kill them.

If burs and swamp whites are growing there, sawtooths should as well. They grow side by side on my place. You don't get so cold there it'd kill them.
Ive planted them on ground that does flood every spring and some summers. They are just fine. But the soil drains well where i planted them.
Ive planted in wet clay on the same property and lost them all.

June 11, 2017

I walked out and checked on some Miscanthus Giganteus grass today and stopped to look at a few sawtooth oaks I'd planted along the edge about 10 years ago.

They've gotten tall......

View attachment 7602

And because they are growing along the edge with plenty of sunlight, they have branched out wide....

View attachment 7603

View attachment 7604

Then I noticed this year's bumper crop! :cool: At chest height no less.

View attachment 7605

These few trees alone will produce bushels of acorns this coming October. And all that deer activity will be right here on the Home 10 as we gear up to the rut.

View attachment 7606

I can't wait to get over to the Little Blue property and check on the sawtooths I tubed up from potted seedlings back in March. Those things should be 10 feet tall by now. :D

Fish, thanks for the pictures. I'm getting my first crop of sawtooths this year, and the crop looks heavy.

But, those pics you just posted show acorns that are 5 times bigger than the ones I'm seeing so far. Any guess as to why my acorns would be so small comparted to yours at this stage?

Fish, thanks for the pictures. I'm getting my first crop of sawtooths this year, and the crop looks heavy.

But, those pics you just posted show acorns that are 5 times bigger than the ones I'm seeing so far. Any guess as to why my acorns would be so small comparted to yours at this stage?
Interesting. I will make a point to check other trees soon. Maybe the picture is deceiving. They are the size of a plump pea.

Back