Sawtooth Oaks

I got Sawtooth nuts from a guy on the old forum which were supposed to be late dropping. If I remember correctly he was from Georgia. Will not know whether they actually are late dropping for a few more years.

That's me. They are late dropping (late Oct-early Nov) here and at my farm 60 miles to the east. Whether that is a trait or environmental I do not know. I assume a trait as elevation, soils, and precipitation are different in the two areas. Hope to see for sure from the ones spread around the country.

Half of my sawtooth seedlings in their second year this year turned yellow/white and then grew brown spots and leaves died. I think it was from the extreme moisture this year but I'm hoping they come back!

Half of my sawtooth seedlings in their second year this year turned yellow/white and then grew brown spots and leaves died. I think it was from the extreme moisture this year but I'm hoping they come back!

Sounds like that could be the problem. Seems when i drowned seedlings a couple years ago they went limp, yellow,dead. Hopefully yours can bounce back.

October 28 and this sawtooth hasn't dropped a single acorn. Still holding. If memory serves me, this tree just started producing a year or two ago at 12 years old.....

S3900005.JPG

S3930003.JPG

Every other tree in this row of sawtooths has dropped....

Fish,

Could a fellow get some of those sawtooth from that specific tree?

Twelve to eighteen would help my diversity for sure. You did good on the photos.

Fish,

Could a fellow get some of those sawtooth from that specific tree?

Twelve to eighteen would help my diversity for sure. You did good on the photos.

Sure can WBP. Im waiting for them to drop and i will gobble them up. Ive got others waiting for this late dropper and i will add you to that list. There should be plenty. Going to check out another tomorrow that has traditionally been late as well.

Sure can WBP. Im waiting for them to drop and i will gobble them up. Ive got others waiting for this late dropper and i will add you to that list. There should be plenty. Going to check out another tomorrow that has traditionally been late as well.
Can you add me to your list? I love sawtooths and late droppers are a plus

How flood tolerant are sawtooths? 4 of mine have been in 6" of water for a week since the hurricane. Ugh.

Looks like my seedlings will be ok. They survived being underwater for 2+ weeks at exactly 18 months old.

c7573a64cb458fa1ee8db7bb3555fb45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Trees look great for 18 months. Imagine that is why they made it thru the prolonged standing water.

Wish I had some sawtooths that looked that promising. I am not there yet.

Looks like my seedlings will be ok. They survived being underwater for 2+ weeks at exactly 18 months old.

c7573a64cb458fa1ee8db7bb3555fb45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Thats great to see cutman. I will be planting in an area that is very well drained, but will flood for a couple days periodically. Thanks for posting the pic!

Bowkl, where did you get your tree's? I usually get mine from the Wildlife Group.
Sorry I just saw this. I have ordered from the Wildlife Group and also from Advantage Forestry out of Demopolis. They have the best prices and i have been pleased with their seedlings. Also our local forestry commission will sell trees for a dollar a piece and I have bought a few from them. They get the trees from Superior Trees which is in the panhandle of Florida.

The late sawtooth growing on the Home 10 has finally begun to drop. I found a handful of acorns yesterday (11-2) and a few more today (11-3).
The acorns are not large, but vary in size. This tree would make turkeys and deer alike happy.

S3960007.JPG

A few are still in the bur, but aren't hanging on by much. This one fell right out into my hand after I took the pic.

S3960008.JPG

Tree is still full of acrons. I've found and saved about 30 thus far off the ground.

S3960009.JPG

Close up. :)

S3960010.JPG

I will continue to scour the ground under this tree collecting acorns. Many of you have been interested in this tree and I hope to have enough acorns to go around.

Back