Sawtooth Oaks

Guys
Im in South Alabama and my sawtooths are gone by October. They begin dropping in August and are done by mid September. I was wondering if that was normal for trees this far south or is it just my trees are early droppers. Any ideas?

I can tell you that they make a great cover! They aren't green in the winter like a cedar or pine, but just as hard to see through them. I actually like the brown look that they have and they will absolutely not drop leafs until the new ones push them off in the spring. I wouldn't use them as property boundary screen. They will attract deer at some point so keep that in mind. They also seem to be a preferred rub tree at our place. Without protection they tend to end up shrubby.

That's actually good news. I can use them at various heights to provide cover and food. I would never use them in a location near a property line or road - that's just asking for trouble. I was thinking more of using them to screen plots from my movements - since it's a feeding area anyway. I also like the idea of using them for cover. I keep small beech trees for this very reason as they will hold their leaves as well, beech also make great stand trees because the leaves really help hide a hunter. Once these sawtooth get big enough it sounds like they may be great for that as well.

I look forward to experimenting with their use and applications to exploit their various traits.

Fish - have you seen if those that you turned into shrubs produce acorns? I am working on getting me some acorns (from Catscratch actually) for my place for both mast trees as well as these shrubs (I like the idea of their screening abilities). My place was just logged earlier this summer so I have a fair amount of sunlight available right now so I think now would be the time for me to plant oaks with them having the greatest chance to make it. I may actually even plant some around my plots of screening or like an orchard tree as well.

You don't have any issue with the hardiness of them here in Indiana?

The oldest stump sprouts i have are 3 years old and about 10 feet tall now. No acorns on that growth yet, but i am sure they will at some point if enough sunshine is available.
We rarely drop below 0 on the thermometer, but we have hit -5 and flirted around 0 many times with no noticeable dieback. Those early droppers are pouring acorns right now. Others havent started yet.

Guys
Im in South Alabama and my sawtooths are gone by October. They begin dropping in August and are done by mid September. I was wondering if that was normal for trees this far south or is it just my trees are early droppers. Any ideas?
I can tell you that they make a great cover! They aren't green in the winter like a cedar or pine, but just as hard to see through them. I actually like the brown look that they have and they will absolutely not drop leafs until the new ones push them off in the spring. I wouldn't use them as property boundary screen. They will attract deer at some point so keep that in mind. They also seem to be a preferred rub tree at our place. Without protection they tend to end up shrubby.

Thats a great point. I dont plant them on the property edge where i might walk to a stand or a road exists.

Guys
I've heard southern guys say this before. I am thinking that your trees are blooming earlier in the year, so nut maturation would come earlier as a result?
Thinking backwards, with apple trees, northern growers just cant grow apples requiring a long growing season. southern pecan works like that too, except the southern varieties are also not cold hardy, which also keeps them out of the north.

I have contacted another "habitat nut" on another forum and he is further north here in IN than I am and he has success with them as well, so that really puts my hardiness concerns to rest. As much as I have planted/broadcast other acorns this fall already - getting my hands on these sawtooth really has captured my interest. Thanks for the info and feedback Fish!

Good to hear j-bird!

I just came from a stroll under a line of sawtooths here on the Home 10 and let me tell you..... it's dangerous! :D
Like walking on marbles underneath and little missiles coming down from above. The ground is covered in acorns.

S3870002.JPG

S3870003.JPG

S3870001.JPG

Some trees have pretty much dropped. While others are dropping right now.

S3870009.JPG

S3870010.JPG

Things changed here on the Home 10 once the crops in the neighborhood came out. Deer are here, but they sure haven't been on the sawtooths around the house much. Maybe I have too many. :D The girls are around. I placed the came just off the backyard a couple weeks ago under a patch of sawtooths.

WGI_0020.JPG

and no doubt these gals were here for the sawtooths the other evening. But they were in my LC mix just before filing back into the sawtooths on "sawtooth hill" a short time later.

S3870021.JPG

Sawtooth acorns........ it's what's for dinner :)

How flood tolerant are sawtooths? 4 of mine have been in 6" of water for a week since the hurricane. Ugh.

Seedling trees are more sensitive to flooded soil than established trees. Ive learned that first-hand.
I planted seedling sawtooths a couple years back and lost all of them when monsoons hit for the next 2 months. That ground was low and heavy clay. I hadnt picked up on it before, but water stands in that area.
Keep us posted on your trees! Hopefully things are drying out.

I am sitting out on the porch as i type. Just heard another nut hit the ground.

I plan on putting mine along the edge of some clover plots and a few out in an orchard type setting. Looking forward to see just how fast these things can grow. I have a few locations already picked out for planting come spring.

I also have planted several sawtooths and love them. I planted several 6, 7 & 8 years ago and all are producing a dropping heavily right now. I thought last week's hurricane might have knocked all the acorns down but there are still about 40% of them still in the tree. The deer are hammering them. I have planted several other varieties of oaks that may take another twenty years to produce their first crop which is fine. But it sure is cool to see these sawtooths pay dividends so quickly. Some of these trees are already 8" diameter and 20+ feet tall and have a large crop of acorns every year. I suspect they will be done dropping by the end of October. I am in Virginia.

Thanks for sharing Fish.

I have been planting some as well and have a couple acres set aside to plant more this spring . I've got about 100 potted

Don't the acorns fall in September? Our bow season starts 10/15. I've always figured they would be gone before bow season opened. I'm looking at planting some dwarf chinkapins.

Don't the acorns fall in September? Our bow season starts 10/15. I've always figured they would be gone before bow season opened. I'm looking at planting some dwarf chinkapins.

My Sawtooth have all dropped. Two weeks ago I was down to two trees still holding, last week none. My Dwarf Chinkapins drop a month before the Sawtooth do though. The red/pin oaks are dropping right now. The only thing that will hold later than this for me is Burr. I'm adding fruit for a later draw than my acorns...

My sawtooths begin dropping at the very end of Sept but continue throughout Oct. I still have many acorns that have not dropped yet.

What causes the different drop times? Weather? Location? Drought? Looking for something that will be there during bow season.

What causes the different drop times? Weather? Location? Drought? Looking for something that will be there during bow season.
I'm sure climate/growing zones can have something to do with it. Trees grown in the south probably drop at different times than trees grown in the northern states.
Genetics play a big role too. We have many trees that were planted at the same time, in the same location, and from the same nursery. Drop times vary greatly from tree to tree. There seems to be a lot more variation in the Sawtooth we have, than in the native oaks we have.

^^^ buckdeer1's place is less than 20 miles from mine. His haven't started yet and mine are done. Could be genetic or it could be site location (we have VERY different soils). Probably isn't climate zone in this case...

My thoughts are that southern sawtooths bloom earlier, hence they mature earlier. Thats just an educated guess.
My first sawtooth acorn hit the ground approximately the. 3rd week of september. Some trees i can observe, not all of course. A couple are still holding. One of these is a bit of a freak in that the bur completely covers the acorn. That tree isnt close to falling yet.
The lion's share fell last weekend, or mid October. All of my original stock came from seed off trees grown at the Vallonia nursery in Southern Indiana.

Back