Problem weeds in clover...

skindog1

Is there anything I can spray to control serecea lespedeza in clover? I sprayed earlier with butyrac and it didn't touch it. Also have a problem with yellow nutsedge. I tried raptor with little to no affect (9 days after it doesn't look like it had any effect). How effective is basagran? I think that's about the only option left. Any advice?

Raptor will work... just takes a long time versus glyphosate.

Make sure you follow the directions under "clover grown for seed" carefully. Must include non-ionic surfactant, spray-grade ammonium sulfate and Basagran.

Raptor is available cheaper under brand name "Clearcast", BTW. Same thing, but use Raptor label.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I had a 1.5 acre Serecia Lespedeza monoculture about this time last year. I mowed it as high as I could then sprayed with Pasturegaurd. Worked great. I even used the dead stalks as thatch for throw n mow. I have very little showing back up this year. It's pricey but works great!

I had a 1.5 acre Serecia Lespedeza monoculture about this time last year. I mowed it as high as I could then sprayed with Pasturegaurd. Worked great. I even used the dead stalks as thatch for throw n mow. I have very little showing back up this year. It's pricey but works great!
I plan to work on other areas of serecea with pasture guard but this is in my newly planted clover. Hoping theres something that will nip it without killing the clover.

Raptor will work... just takes a long time versus glyphosate.

Make sure you follow the directions under "clover grown for seed" carefully. Must include non-ionic surfactant, spray-grade ammonium sulfate and Basagran.

Raptor is available cheaper under brand name "Clearcast", BTW. Same thing, but use Raptor label.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Thanks. I'm using clearcast actually. I did include non-ionic surfactant but no AMS or basagran. I may go ahead and order the basagran mow it next week and give it another week to see what happens. If it still isnt dead I'll mix this cocktail and se what happens. Thanks. Guess I need to download the raptor label. I applied at the recomendation of a buddy and used 6oz of clearcast, 1 pint of surfactant/acre.

Thanks. I'm using clearcast actually. I did include non-ionic surfactant but no AMS or basagran. I may go ahead and order the basagran mow it next week and give it another week to see what happens. If it still isnt dead I'll mix this cocktail and se what happens. Thanks. Guess I need to download the raptor label. I applied at the recomendation of a buddy and used 6oz of clearcast, 1 pint of surfactant/acre.
Did some more research on your problem and I may be wrong.

If Raptor doesn't work (it isn't labelled for those weeds, but that doesn't mean it won't work, may simply not have been tested)... then you may be out of luck. Not finding anything that will kill the sericea but not the clover.

Best bet may be to suppress it via regular mowing, or kill it all (metasulfuron methyl) and start over.

Good luck!

one needs to add ams with clearcast for it to be most effective. I don't think it kills serecia. It will kill yellow nutsedge but it has to be sprayed early in the spring when it is small.

I think you are out of luck trying to kill serecia in clover without killing the clover using chemicals. I have used pasture guard and cimmaron with excellent results on serecia. Okie uses gly to kill serecia but I'm sure it is a hot mix that would toast your clover.

Have any of you guys used a wick applicator? I've only tried one very small-scale (glyphosate instead of weed-eating around the yard with something I rigged up), but it seems like it would work for serecia in clover.

Have any of you guys used a wick applicator? I've only tried one very small-scale (glyphosate instead of weed-eating around the yard with something I rigged up), but it seems like it would work for serecia in clover.
That's my next step for the serecea. Actually researching commercially available models before checkin in here tonight. Found this one for about $100 through Menards.
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...262-c-8559.htm?tid=2712334363997377225&ipos=4

That's my next step for the serecea. Actually researching commercially available models before checkin in here tonight. Found this one for about $100 through Menards.
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...262-c-8559.htm?tid=2712334363997377225&ipos=4

I have. I bought one a few years ago, made a frame for it that hooks up to my golf cart. It worked, but I used it to killl behia grass in places that I couldn't spray for fear of killing something that I wanted to live. Since then, I've found better options for that. But the point is, it does work if you can get the height of the applicator to work out with the height of the crop that you wish to save. Also need to fine tune the wetness of the applicator to control drip, but mine came with a regular plastic hose bib to control the air, which meters the flow to the actual cover on the pvc. Mine was covered in fire-hose type canvas. I googled " weed wiper " to find it. Good luck !

Back