Plot pics

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
This 2.7 acre plot was planted in winter wheat, oats, crimson clover, durana clover, Arrowleaf clover, chicory, and radish. I no till drilled it straight into soybean stubble last fall. It was fertilized once with 10-10-10 when the temps started to warm up in January then I top dressed it with nitrogen in late February when it was looking yellow.

I’m going to drill soybeans into this when nature has run its course. It sure turned out pretty and the deer are loving it.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

This 2.7 acre plot was planted in winter wheat, oats, crimson clover, durana clover, Arrowleaf clover, chicory, and radish. I no till drilled it straight into soybean stubble last fall. It was fertilized once with 10-10-10 when the temps started to warm up in January then I top dressed it with nitrogen in late February when it was looking yellow.

I’m going to drill soybeans into this when nature has run its course. It sure turned out pretty and the deer are loving it.

View attachment 18574

View attachment 18575

View attachment 18576

View attachment 18577

View attachment 18578

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
About what date will you plant the beans? Do you terminate this stuff with herbicide first? Do you try to hide the new beans into standing straw to get better survival rates until they can outgrow the deer? Are you planting forage beans?

About what date will you plant the beans? Do you terminate this stuff with herbicide first? Do you try to hide the new beans into standing straw to get better survival rates until they can outgrow the deer? Are you planting forage beans?

I’m going to plant Eagle forage beans again. Here is my thread from last year:

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/2019-eagle-beans.5043/#post-87203

To answer your questions:

1) I don’t plan on terminating this plot with herbicide. I’m going to let it die a natural death.

2) I’ve tried hiding beans before in straw before. It doesn’t work. I will fence them.

3) Yep. Forage beans (roundup ready).

Edit: I missed your first question. I anticipate planting in May or June. Last year I planted too early - the deer destroyed the plot before deer season started. I want to push the process back a month.

Really nice. Like the rotation. On side note have you seen that big ass gator again of which you once had pictures ? I could imagine him laying in that thick stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to plant Eagle forage beans again. Here is my thread from last year:

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/2019-eagle-beans.5043/#post-87203

To answer your questions:

1) I don’t plan on terminating this plot with herbicide. I’m going to let it die a natural death.

2) I’ve tried hiding beans before in straw before. It doesn’t work. I will fence them.

3) Yep. Forage beans (roundup ready).

Edit: I missed your first question. I anticipate planting in May or June. Last year I planted too early - the deer destroyed the plot before deer season started. I want to push the process back a month.

I really want to just run clover and drill soybeans into them each year in a 12 acre field, but your thread last year and the demolition really terrified me. I would just let the soybeans go to pods and brown for season, but that seems unlikely they would make it that far.

“I’m going to drill soybeans into this when nature has run its course. It sure turned out pretty and the deer are loving it.”

cutman, don't you think that your durana and chicory will last thru the summer and just keep producing for years?

“I’m going to drill soybeans into this when nature has run its course. It sure turned out pretty and the deer are loving it.”

cutman, don't you think that your durana and chicory will last thru the summer and just keep producing for years?

No clover survives our summers. Chicory will most likely survive, but I’ve got plenty more fields of it.

I really want to just run clover and drill soybeans into them each year in a 12 acre field, but your thread last year and the demolition really terrified me. I would just let the soybeans go to pods and brown for season, but that seems unlikely they would make it that far.
He's talking a 2.7 acre field, you're talking a 12 acre field. I'd say your plan has a good chance of working. It takes a lot of deer to strip a 12 acre field. I'm not into fencing anything from deer, I look at planting bigger acreages, reducing deer numbers, or going with a different crop as solutions to the deer overrunning a crop. For soybean success I plant all the bean acres I can all at the same time, to try to overcome that initial critical period when the beans are trying to get established.

Back