Pinetag's Plot - 43 acres in Virginia

We have just under 400 acres with about another 400 on adjoining tracts that cooperate either intentionally or unintentionally. Every year buck are shot off our property. Some over a mile away during the rut. Of course we also get mature bucks from elsewhere that we have no pictures of moving through during the rut.

We figured out that bucks 3 1/2 and older comprise the top 10% of our bucks. So, we target 3 1/2 and older for our experienced hunters. When you get much older than that, the percentage drops quickly and chances of shooting a buck go way down. We think this is a good balance between having a good age structure and yet still being able to harvest a buck from time to time.

If we did not have the issue with bucks that primarily use our land being shot elsewhere, we would likely raise that targeted age.

Yea, trying to target 4.5’s is just not realistic for my property/my area. 3.5 is what I’m going for also. After I shot the 9, I told myself that the only other buck I would shoot was my #1. If either of the other big 8’s came by they were getting a pass because 1) I don’t want to be greedy and 2) I’d like to see a buck make it to 4.5. Maybe one day, but that’s probably just wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, trying to target 4.5’s is just not realistic for my property/my area. 3.5 is what I’m going for also. After I shot the 9, I told myself that the only other buck I would shoot was my #1. If either of the other big 8’s came by they were getting a pass because 1) I don’t want to be greedy and 2) I’d like to see a buck make it to 4.5. Maybe one day, but that’s probably just wishful thinking.

Yes, we each set our own personal thresholds. The 3.5 is the minimum we set for experienced hunters. It is one thing we we impose limits on ourselves but quite another when we impose them on others.

For me it really depends on the situation. On the pine farm we have a minimum for the group but I've passed deer simply because I did not feel like dealing with it that particular day and just enjoyed the outdoors instead. I have another small property that is only 16 acres where I plan to retire. On the pine farm we are trying to work on age structure and shoot does to keep the population in check. On my little 16 acres, I wouldn't mind seeing more deer. I would actually prefer to shoot a 1 1/2 year old buck rather than a doe. We don't have a population issue on that property and it is just as much effort to butcher a doe where I end up with less meat than a young buck. On that property, I have no delusions that passing a buck will lead to it's survival for the next year.

Every situation is different.

Yes, we each set our own personal thresholds. The 3.5 is the minimum we set for experienced hunters. It is one thing we we impose limits on ourselves but quite another when we impose them on others.

For me it really depends on the situation. On the pine farm we have a minimum for the group but I've passed deer simply because I did not feel like dealing with it that particular day and just enjoyed the outdoors instead. I have another small property that is only 16 acres where I plan to retire. On the pine farm we are trying to work on age structure and shoot does to keep the population in check. On my little 16 acres, I wouldn't mind seeing more deer. I would actually prefer to shoot a 1 1/2 year old buck rather than a doe. We don't have a population issue on that property and it is just as much effort to butcher a doe where I end up with less meat than a young buck. On that property, I have no delusions that passing a buck will lead to it's survival for the next year.

Every situation is different.

All good points!

Back