Pics of two different plots planted recently

That notill plot looks nice. I would sell all of my tillage equipment but I have a few fields that I want to level out a bit. That's about the only reason left to till, if you have a field with ruts in it.

Great looking plots Native but we wouldn't expect anything less from you. Your place always looks amazing! I went down Friday with plans to plant brassicas on Saturday but not enough soil moisture so gonna hold off until next rain event.

Great looking plots Native but we wouldn't expect anything less from you. Your place always looks amazing! I went down Friday with plans to plant brassicas on Saturday but not enough soil moisture so gonna hold off until next rain event.

That sounds like a good plan TC. The rain can make us or break us with our plots. We've been blessed recently with good rains every few days. Best year I remember in many years.

Is it dry in Georgia this summer, or just recently?

Very nice, Native. I have brassicas growing on little blue 40. Home 10 has 0.1inch of rain in 4 weeks.:rolleyes:
Will you be planting more in September?

Very nice, Native. I have brassicas growing on little blue 40. Home 10 has 0.1inch of rain in 4 weeks.:rolleyes:
Will you be planting more in September?

Fish, I wish I could share some rain with you. Ours has been so good, I almost feel guilty. And, they are giving 80% again for tonight and tomorrow.

I won't be planting any more this year. It looks like these new plots are going to do well, and I just mowed my plots that were put in last year. They are coming back out real nice too. My deer should have all they will want.. I washed out my spraying tanks yesterday and put them up in the basement.

I thought you guys might like to see how these two plots have changed in another week. Keep in mind that the remnant of Hurricane Harvey has put approximately 3 inches of rain on these the last few days.

Plot #1 - 28 days

FwwrWeCh.jpg

FpbOgcRh.jpg

n0XmxY1h.jpg

Plot #2 - 17 days

pXwWb89h.jpg

7d7ie1Jh.jpg

I will throw in another plot today. This one was put in 2 years ago and mowed recently for the second time in 2 years. I love how chicory competes with weeds so well. And the rain is bringing it back nicely.

Recently:

OKeD0nXh.jpg

Spring 2016:

p5hzVfyh.jpg

Winter 2015 - after planted in Fall 2015 - with brassicas as the nurse crop

8fNlhHMh.jpg

I

Nice! Harvey shared close to 2" of rain here. We are off to the races again!
Now, will those KY deer eat those brassicas?

Nice! Harvey shared close to 2" of rain here. We are off to the races again!
Now, will those KY deer eat those brassicas?

Fish, they will eat the Daikon Radishes really well but will only nibble around on the turnips some. Plot #2 has no turnips - it only has the radishes. Plot #1 has both.

Right now they are cherry picking the grains and clovers.

Those are very nice. Good soil, especially being down where moisture will collect is a plus. And frequent rains certainly helps with T&M. We got rain from Howard but only about a half inch. It was a slow soaker tho. Haven't been to farm since last week so anxious how mine have done. Two of my four are ridge top plantings, one brassica and another clover alfalfa so I'm at mercy of at least some rain with that method. Last years brassica with absolutely no rain was a bust. Unlike yours, my deer devour any type of brassica. Actually I think mine would eat the chrome off a bumper. Thanks for showing.
And of course the barn shot, you got me ready for the season.

Those are very nice. Good soil, especially being down where moisture will collect is a plus. And frequent rains certainly helps with T&M. We got rain from Howard but only about a half inch. It was a slow soaker tho. Haven't been to farm since last week so anxious how mine have done. Two of my four are ridge top plantings, one brassica and another clover alfalfa so I'm at mercy of at least some rain with that method. Last years brassica with absolutely no rain was a bust. Unlike yours, my deer devour any type of brassica. Actually I think mine would eat the chrome off a bumper. Thanks for showing.
And of course the barn shot, you got me ready for the season.

That barn plot has so much chicory, I can share some with you. Let me know if you want me to send bales or rolls..:D

The only thing we import from KY does not come in rolls but is rolled after it gets here.:cool: But I will say, I'm slowly catching up with you and your chicory. But as for the deer, it is still way down the preference list of what mine like. They do eat it, but nothing like the clovers alfalfa and brassica. When its a dry period tho, there is nothing that keeps growing like chicory.

The only thing we import from KY does not come in rolls but is rolled after it gets here.:cool: But I will say, I'm slowly catching up with you and your chicory. But as for the deer, it is still way down the preference list of what mine like. They do eat it, but nothing like the clovers alfalfa and brassica. When its a dry period tho, there is nothing that keeps growing like chicory.

If everything goes as planned, Plot #2 should look very similar next spring to what the barn plot looked like in the spring of 2016. They will eat the radish and grains down this winter, and next spring I should be left with a good stand of red clover and chicory.

By next fall, the barn plot is going to need some maintenance. I will do some grass killing and seed some more clover back into it. The chicory should last indefinitely, and I just need to get some other stuff growing with it. It has more clover in it right now than you see in the picture, but I would still like to increase the clover more.

The plots put in this year should do fine for at least 2 years with only an occasional mowing.

I can't help with that other import - but the vendors are numerous around here...:)

Looking good, and I have to say I learn something new everyday in this place because I was under the impression that Chicory was an annual and based on its costs always felt it was not worth it.

Looking good, and I have to say I learn something new everyday in this place because I was under the impression that Chicory was an annual and based on its costs always felt it was not worth it.

Yes, and another thing to remember about chicory seed is that a little goes a long ways.

I would never plant chicory alone, but if you did, you would only use 4 - 5 pounds per acre.

Of course, it does better when mixed with nitrogen fixing plants like clover. Shown below would be a good mix:

Chicory: 2.5 lbs
Grains: 40 to 50 lbs
Clover (white or red or a mix): 8 to 10 lbs
Daikon Radish - 2.5 lbs

You can play around with those numbers some to go heavier or lighter as desired.

I have also used some alfalfa in the past with excellent results. I did a 1/4 acre section of plot #2 with some alfalfa this year.

I have also noticed in the past that I can lightly disk an area where chicory is established, and it will come back well from the roots if you have good moisture.

What is that bad boy? Looks neat and it's huge, almost like a Horse Apple. Taste good?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That's a Betsey Deaton Apple, and the taste is very good. The cultivar seems immune to FB but does get CAR every year. However, it always manages to produce a nice crop of apples.

Most of the apples will be more of a solid red color, but some of them will get that unusual coloration you see in the picture. In a heavy cropping year, the apples will be smaller unless you thin them. This was a lighter cropping year for the tree, and the apples were a lot bigger.

Don't want to derail your thread, but how have the Goldens or Yellow delicious done in your area this year?? Mine performed really poor this year as are others in the area. Oddly, other apple trees are loaded. Their pollination timing must have been in a bad window for us.

Back