Pics of two different plots planted recently

Native Hunter

Plot #1 - 21 Days - Spray - Throw - mow
Mixed Brassicas, Feed Store Oats, Mixed Clovers, Chicory

hI7N-t_X4JlnvTsnkf9PI5yi9bFgSqG1DIvvTDasM7RY0Tj0JylNXtvzLXv9gPrbipnymVHL_x9iDn8r8ncaYAla7UXqYPJLuFNYBclKp2vVszpoSIsooQHunILKq01ZUrhzwxFrTArJqs3dkdlEroH6wNE1SyEwJiYfYKFcLG-oRi1MV3bw8wohoYbZ2t4xCcF3RdXVablLfs59Gy9baKMUqbLc-j1PwuZXRrhU9qYKzHNuc_zivgyQaw4wF52EFVgX0__NA4e4FrlzaoPTwJYEO6qT_LUni_bcJy6fj36r2vi8vXAqJie-mKcyd2CQkEWncm_oYCksP6d9Qu6kw3Ht94q7_7MYEib-it_3988kMxCGjlW2NfDAvr_BqMHO3kR7l-EPJ4L9HYiXCBgwATGHkLDLfAfhINwXgW_oSoSygJpZdr39OdDlYGNZktIeKmRZ0PO9LuDLICxoU47umlBV7bQj9_gX9HdmNzK1xurmHQpGjQ87wXZX8775gEeZji6MAfmfpSKgz9tU0H4a6rDfUnhHbcnhGb9_MUGBt_0utN_3ldMSQLscPXCAnGuvg-s11Wh-ZIwwKZQFjM-Vi-tE-1brHeZBLcsZjzKxRtvMeJXyyZ-C=w786-h589-no

z00vU1F2KDb9Imf-kzVreASVfi7-QIOkYJ0kVinfRm23_M_QBFL0UW1ZDDSqfkRDLldNRSM38TDCdSD3eA8nzAEvESDvORHEgueN7J9FNw3rAS29YQI_Rgq7_BRzboTJFTleQImlMcIWh2xTLdyLD6DaSg8WrkEHz2uLB5R8E8MuARf6sR-oM_oG-kvG8dSmySSp784ajZgmGNhREXi_K4UWg7xViQiru4oUoNhj7FpSLXjGLEuV6LjBpW1D0PYCD0YqG7bUVNhzkFE9IdfJVoKbCw6RN4kfC2_lrqGHCoy3VOTDBpbsu1fB_-y4M_nT_AEsjNjmq5SW4TR35wj3BxXe8KpCIbw_1GhC-zqduHqVlwQ9_pASKgP6ToBqUzffNKxAp3xOU1N3gUBvzHOcamuG572LBbgGwO2EZvWJKDrLRbuFGqJ87fZ9cysy4FkuF4OmHGxjWHQ29rPKZ0Kf76HCeHJ_uXUzQ8p09T4oSHwLL7T1YH20RuQIqVovQD9TzqB0F_nl0HZ6NLiKRU5vL3KvZ4sjOwYXiC1qd1YW4_hDmdTlTX77z2wmS9rQmoPfkR2fct8DEoJeZgd_kY8vhqmAjNOcJP6Z-2kbNI9cyNFFSDh1N6dF=w786-h589-no

SJIjLvZWIufsVzUdu0QalA1BZZYzNnzbRRkXyX4LVpT9iWuuQEzvExAJgKY4iNqQ21AwWLcLgMC8FvLQEJGGlAhiouNaAT-eQTB4opGcUE7MjvUVQVkp4YA9ySM3sspzKBKy4ysKmaUPaZHSSpnLnBVz4MxShWCKQ0kRYK4DxktcvjNzDum0wAg8kM3B7drp9r7ZPxrd0esW7Jso2tGm-ZhxepQZYr7o7AvKNT0U5KA1Xl7N-Mhmui-B1DUSuqgGXemWDPqQjMNsJ8-2nEHgD8fAb_ipa9mwuG6EOAv2qhsgK-yLpQ9N_Qc9cipoyNfZbjz7eHEfxYzjxjkyWHhkIz_4Yz-cG5NSr7i7FAALBlmarwttv2TdNCHmGH_JxKM1s6Kh67htF5s-eBDmmcd7DtsRV8btQ7rvC5lnORdL6i22xNK0VTTN9glzIIUwH0XsgIGL8lljhcQSJJcgoWgiMiGo9LyNSGpvS9Txl-9Dkh3ISRJ3co5ILPODummOpTQKu06GnrMMExaeXN51D16x4NtDSqdV-dfp09GoEbzgbzjcovoeXT3PvAzgai6ov69sODa7kvtXYgRIH-1LK2i9fnmnuv59ips1iN9xEqGqCjXIDlmthdq_=w786-h589-no

Plot # 2 - 10 Days - Disked
Diakon Radish - Gallant Red Clover - Chicory - wheat and oats

IjJbfzko5Q6H6xyI7lwx_m-UaVhIO7djCXNe_GB_emDg8MQgGhMdWpxTopyVFAHBR7_dlaG6Ln8F3YQlWRo-2dPMwkuV9_YB4CYH8iCplpLTkfN4NPvbY4PgxokqwwQo7neIVXAFqrTJUY_QjvRk3f5sEGp_tG7ITY7XmzlIC5R1NjxoaJ7jZE_uvxdiYW0iYNhMXJGvCMcOKgBRHgejVnFfTxOBTwDJngOiAe_gbljB_edUXMCpkoyp3Zvmdg0MAvtjWsa6hYqR69ClMnklfbwjreitkUlVky7xSxp7yKzeA4CLn8aX6Zc34tCXipPXxjOJdgL-3G__9HJud_o3TsClAD80uhjP_wBvR-Z2jCwOt0YaRjshmthLMfjn9aYjlDorCQLQvCaIDZ6x6cHX7O8p91SZ4DLO97IJjObDUvamATfEcWGnqelyjH8eBMK8PpbR3ZKxn6G--iwmt2KO_-FzJ5UzNDg19S3RrGrs6CP7NFOyG58p2dp2PfGgJ65iWbktUtcAncOCtmWkHBzVyy6SswM_MdrRVsfrma8QLDvNYkwYdUxwc3tLc1FgYfjaKwpML76yFu5LjiI3mUwxQ2uVj-yo-5TcbSgBbqvJQdB0ctSoNHoh=w786-h589-no

qDy9-MuJm3WPPo-fCQReuLrmlqEAOfOSD1H2-mxtMbPtkqwOCa3CCPgwnuZ9j8BZNhIT34MnUKOxUmt6KWXPDqnb0-_c7j3JytYy34B-f9h68vtk72OyFK2EyuHBeANjhFL40GnxHW-_7pKcLhr1QYBGTBWx5qpya1ZWU-ySQX8I7w-T9_fTeosWSylKECIEySZiLHJUt06AeT_3ezqDnNJ-pxGy6xwYCn-Y_wgU_w_VbjlH-k0aWjVHc3ycNj_E1A5WPZaaGxbLtpoCB9xhgyL_dn681TIkDawawRmcxtllXWgPJVCql1xKdD4NtvPeEZ5WHMeaNDWk3zylWvo2aJAxrctAgQdx0h6ynt6PJ82SYD8UcSpRsYRGKaoz1DSIOv4NkrncvZKn70h_wUPn2rL7ikyIZxEungzKQm7_Mal1QWgcgLj2X0woDcUzhZezzBhbH5k0Emoes3MilbSZ1tbImx0EcFxAZDqF60gd8JYZ8SNB4f9NN37ZW-75S2XE7qXFhq04zBR0Qs_U5z0zkEVuCmNBNKb2BqEFW1v7Q7v-q2aZO-Ff0zUGJkGWiktMpKdeIq2txAEIw_XX5KMslDMYeeRqfC9rSClHnwwfuOflKy70CK4f=w786-h589-no

4I8BYzvMEsCo7bAN_n36sxZ3y5J-dtofVhBKvXmCbxlmjcDvqvGVQ3quAtStBKXv8wT-knNi3Otg3kG9v12RKKq7m1QYH1k2-jMSNIjFOScEKRu_3-fCA7NfY03Mhlb-G5rg6mBzaTK42606EHOSnffjLnLIVjHA5SnTboMKGxIDWK9zW7lW9-3AcWBXSDTBsx2HaQ0HaXn5n9mwIbrPzUcoBT4yF26Kcy3OalztU5V3anu9Ow6IiS6BWWAlihO5djFbX7UIu7PVRXMeu0hA4J2Jv-NSUaYriKK5bY9gVS2r-QJm_R-KKphbZGwWazqGZMR-g6BjJwHV8mh9ERGiNxVaKnVUHNmrKh4fBavxKmcZcpBBEhIKMF-WpOaZwvA8XjJ-mmoBdStrjgD5EF9OSJaMb9m-vq4jIXcqUpcUyeKk59ZgIvgcP7hh3-dDMqNmV-P-0DAr9RptJ0gTMdEr3dkuyLt5T6fFlS3RiJel61qjsO-Vbla4ZH5Uzu9HBpg_V2Pe5bUJ6Rk_u1cjTtKRo4cE93gQvD3NN0gbflqID5E0DpG9Ky6T10tN63XDdRmtyz3d8MbApb23G7nqkygbtehDV2okXLAliu8vDhvbGHVJbID7ylfa=w786-h589-no

What is your analysis? Prefer one over the other? Was Fert added? What were the rain event timings and amounts? Previous crop?

What is your analysis? Prefer one over the other? Was Fert added? What were the rain event timings and amounts? Previous crop?

Here is the analysis and answer to your other questions::
  • Both methods have their place. I think disking works faster and gives more even coverage, but T&M works just fine if you aren't a perfectionist (I'm not with plots but I am on some other things).
  • I love the idea of knowing that I can take a DR walk behind mower and pickup truck and put in a small plot anywhere I desire one. The possibilities are endless. There are places where you may want a small kill plot but difficult to work with a tractor. The no till works just fine, and I will be doing this every year in those places.
  • A small amount of Fert was added to #1. None was added to #2.
  • Rain was excellent for both plots. Good soaking rain every few days.
  • Plot #1 had a crop for the first time last year. That one was disked. But, I think the T&M is looking just as good this year.
  • Plot #2 has been plotted since 2012. This is second replant.

I can see those.....Looking good!

Thanks Crimson. I guess I am going to have to start using Imgur all the time. There are some things about it I don't like but never have a problem with people seeing the pics. Some people have no problem seeing Google Photos but other can't see them. Crazy?????

Both plots really do look excellent. They both appear to be on somewhat rolling terrain, with elevation changes and adjacent tree growth providing security to the overall "feel" of the plots. One advantage of the Spray - Throw - Mow approach is you aren't typically using heavy equipment, which allows you to plant in steeper areas. At the same time, you aren't killing and then discing up the roots that are holding the soil. By the time the roots of the plants you sprayed are gone, roots from the seed you broadcast have their grip on the soil, so erosion is essentially eliminated by using this technique. That is absolutely vital on sloping ground.

The timing of your plantings is probably ideal, for the mid-South, as long as you get something close to normal precipitation. It's no wonder all of the wildlife on your place is so healthy! :)

Last edited:
Here is the analysis and answer to your other questions::
  • Both methods have their place. I think disking works faster and gives more even coverage, but T&M works just fine if you aren't a perfectionist (I'm not with plots but I am on some other things).
  • I love the idea of knowing that I can take a DR walk behind mower and pickup truck and put in a small plot anywhere I desire one. The possibilities are endless. There are places where you may want a small kill plot but difficult to work with a tractor. The no till works just fine, and I will be doing this every year in those places.
  • A small amount of Fert was added to #1. None was added to #2.
  • Rain was excellent for both plots. Good soaking rain every few days.
  • Plot #1 had a crop for the first time last year. That one was disked. But, I think the T&M is looking just as good this year.
  • Plot #2 has been plotted since 2012. This is second replant.
Honestly those two plots look almost the same. Both techniques work well. Your assessment of more even coverage with tillage is spot on in my experience. And as said, the ability to have no soil erosion is so important. I think moisture is more important perhaps in T&M for early success. And good soil is a plus. I do tend to use Fert with planting even tho my soil test say not needed. I haven't tilled for 3 years now, and with ease of planting, saving on time and cost in fuel, and the fact I'm not doing dozens of ac, I'm afraid my tiller will remain in the corner of my barn another year. I do think there is a fine line between enough mulch, and too much. With that said, I'm off to finish my plantings from rye to oats to clover to alfalfa. Thanks for showing.

Both plots really do look excellent. They both appear to be on somewhat rolling terrain, with elevation changes and adjacent tree growth providing security to the overall "feel" of the plots. One advantage of the Spray - Throw - Mow approach is you aren't typically using heavy equipment, which allows you to plant in steeper areas. At the same time, you aren't killing and then discing up the roots that are holding the soil. By the time the roots of the plants you sprayed are gone, roots from the seed you broadcast have their grip on the soil, so erosion is essentially eliminated by using this technique. That is absolutely vital on sloping ground.

The timing of your plantings is probably ideal, for the mid-South, as long as you get something close to normal precipitation. It's no wonder all of the wildlife on your place is so healthy! :)

Thanks Jason. Yes, both of those spots have some slope in the ground, and I do like the idea of no till for preventing erosion. The pictures of the disked plot shows both end of the plot where there is some slope, and there is a flatter area in the middle of it.

My timing might have been a little early for my grains, but early will actually be better for the all of the other species I planted. The clover should really be coming on by early November and it will should be tender and lush at that time. This is in contrast to last year when we went into a fall drought and I had little clover until the next spring.

I forgot to mention that in the flat part of #2 I also did a section with some alfalfa. I didn't get a picture, of it but it has germinated and looks similar to the red clover at this point in time.

Honestly those two plots look almost the same. Both techniques work well. Your assessment of more even coverage with tillage is spot on in my experience. And as said, the ability to have no soil erosion is so important. I think moisture is more important perhaps in T&M for early success. And good soil is a plus. I do tend to use Fert with planting even tho my soil test say not needed. I haven't tilled for 3 years now, and with ease of planting, saving on time and cost in fuel, and the fact I'm not doing dozens of ac, I'm afraid my tiller will remain in the corner of my barn another year. I do think there is a fine line between enough mulch, and too much. With that said, I'm off to finish my plantings from rye to oats to clover to alfalfa. Thanks for showing.

Thanks dogghr. Yes, they do look a lot alike, and one reason is that the T&M was planted a few days earlier and did get some fertilizer. But, by the end of the season, I think there will be little difference in the maturity. I'm convinced now that if a guy can get a good rain forecast, he should plant a little early when using the T&M. And yes, I agree that the amount of mulch is important. I'm starting to get a feel for that now. BTW - packing with an S-10 pickup helps too.;)

Good luck with your planting today. Let us know how it goes.

This photo posting thing is driving me crazy. Now I can't see any of the Google Photos and part of the Imgur photos are not showing for me. Nothing has changed since I posted them yesterday, and earlier today I could see all of them. Grrrrrrrrr.........................

Back