Pics of two different plots planted recently

Don't want to derail your thread, but how have the Goldens or Yellow delicious done in your area this year?? Mine performed really poor this year as are others in the area. Oddly, other apple trees are loaded. Their pollination timing must have been in a bad window for us.

dogghr, it seemed that most of the common apple cultivars did about average here this year, and some were a little below average in terms of cropping. I also noted that some of the varieties that generally have less bug damage seemed to have a little more than normal.

It was strange, but the trees at my farm that get less care produced more apples and cleaner apples than the ones at my home 20 minutes away.

I think you are on the right track with the pollination timing affecting your crop this year. All that will likely change next year.

PS: Have you ever read the story about Yellow Delicious being discovered and how the scion wood got stolen? I can send you that if you haven't read it before. It's an interesting story.

That's a Betsey Deaton Apple, and the taste is very good. The cultivar seems immune to FB but does get CAR every year. However, it always manages to produce a nice crop of apples.

Most of the apples will be more of a solid red color, but some of them will get that unusual coloration you see in the picture. In a heavy cropping year, the apples will be smaller unless you thin them. This was a lighter cropping year for the tree, and the apples were a lot bigger.

That's really neat- thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back