Out of state trips planned this fall?

Got drawn for 12 and 14. Headed there for the second and third weeks in Nov.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Had to cancel our Alaska vacation because of the (insert expletive here) virus. The "core" of our trip was gonna be a 4 night stay in Debali National Park, but Denali Lodge has decided not to open this year...all because of the
(#&%÷+*>ING virus). We have rebooked for next year.
The Iowa hunt is still on track. Went out last month and prepped 9 trees. Some spots look awesome. The only detail now is to choose which taxidermy form I want! Famous last words! Lol.

Man, that sucks about your Alaska trip. I hope your trip to Iowa rewards you with a trip to the taxi. I'm already planning my trip to Iowa in '21. Fairly confident we will be drawn with the number of preference points we have. Keep us posted this fall.

Reactions: Tap
Was drawn for elk in WY. 3 buddies going as well. One his first time and last(bucket list), the other 2 have gone but say this will probably be their last.

The pack outs are a bitch on old knees and backs. Hopefully we get to feel that one last time. Especially the bucket list buddy.

Reactions: Tap
Had to cancel our Alaska vacation because of the (insert expletive here) virus. The "core" of our trip was gonna be a 4 night stay in Debali National Park, but Denali Lodge has decided not to open this year...all because of the
(#&%÷+*>ING virus). We have rebooked for next year.
The Iowa hunt is still on track. Went out last month and prepped 9 trees. Some spots look awesome. The only detail now is to choose which taxidermy form I want! Famous last words! Lol.
Denali Princess Lodge has nicer views than Grand Denali Lodge, and they are open I think. There's some other nice places to stay up there besides those big lodges. Alaska is one of the first places I'd go for a vacation, and probably one of the last places I'd move to.

Was drawn for elk in WY. 3 buddies going as well. One his first time and last(bucket list), the other 2 have gone but say this will probably be their last.

The pack outs are a bitch on old knees and backs. Hopefully we get to feel that one last time. Especially the bucket list buddy.

How hard is it to get drawn for Wyoming elk? When I ever do another elk trip, that is the state I want to go to.

How hard is it to get drawn for Wyoming elk? When I ever do another elk trip, that is the state I want to go to.
I think it depends on which unit that you apply for.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The General units take around 3 points to draw and the high quality units take anywhere from 9-12 points to draw.

Worst part is about the high quality units is with point creep if you were to just now start building points then by the time you had 9 points then you’ll need around 20 to draw that same unit.

Like Tap and Bowhunter said, General tags this year were guaranteed if one had 3 points but people draw with zero and in between as well. WY has a certain percentage of tags in general go to zero point hunters to keep the apps coming in..LE is a crapshoot. If its grizz country and limited public access is can be less points, my cousin has gotten a bull license every year for the past several years with zero points but this year it took one to get it. This is in grizz country and limited public access unit. He hires a rancher/guide and hunts private.

Point creep is alive and well in WY. I suggest you start buying points if you really want to go hunt and then take advantage of general units to have a good chance to draw. I have seen a monster bull and some in low to mid 300's in general units but most will be below 300. I really don't care how big the bull's head gear is when I have a bull tag. I give it 2 to 3 days to put tag on a 5x or bigger and then any bull or cow is coming home with me. My wife and I live on elk and deer. In several general units(perhaps all, I haven't checked them all) a general tag is for a bull but changes to either sex after a set amount of time and in few units it is either sex right away.

Cow tags are a bit more readily available. Apply for them in a unit you decide you want to hunt so you can learn the area while hunting. One can get great info for future hunts. Learning the area is key to success. You will see lots of hunters in the general units but keep plugging.

Go to the WY game and fish page and you will find lots of data on each unit to help you decide where you might want to focus on.

Good luck.

Willy

Thanks a bunch fellas. I guess I should start my research and begin buying preference points. I'm not getting any younger.

Did anyone apply or draw for the Maine Moose tag?

I was unsuccessful this year, but I’ve been lucky enough to draw twice in 16 years. Once for a bull and once for a cow, successful both times. Now I only apply for a bull tag and I’ll be at 12 points next year so I’m expecting a draw any year.

Going to the Bahamas first of July for...well escape from cabin fever. Little bone and permit fishing.

Been getting in all the last minute bone fishing I can before moving to Virginia!

Who goes fishing wearing a hunting hat...this guy!

0fcc60d7438959ff2e81d51a9973b0b6.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m getting more worried by the day that my October trip to Canada will not happen. Ugh.

2nd trip back to Nondalton, AK for fly fishing in early July. Fishing out of Newhalen Lodge.
This trip just got canceled due to new covid testing requirements from state of Alaska for travelers coming into the state. Working on Plan B for a trip to the Snake River in north NE near the SD border.

This trip just got canceled due to new covid testing requirements from state of Alaska for travelers coming into the state. Working on Plan B for a trip to the Snake River in north NE near the SD border.
Dang, hate that story. I'll be on the Snake myself next week out of Driggs . Going to the Bahamas in couple weeks and I have to get a Covid 19 nasal swab test??? before I go. Doesn't seem too onerous but is the first time since all this started I have had to do anything covid related. Its good to live in the country!

Dang, hate that story. I'll be on the Snake myself next week out of Driggs . Going to the Bahamas in couple weeks and I have to get a Covid 19 nasal swab test??? before I go. Doesn't seem too onerous but is the first time since all this started I have had to do anything covid related. Its good to live in the country!

Be prepared: the nasal swab test is very uncomfortable. My wife’s nose bled off and on for hours and she came home sobbing.

Be prepared: the nasal swab test is very uncomfortable. My wife’s nose bled off and on for hours and she came home sobbing.

That sucks, after our third daughter was born I had a fever 2 days after leaving the hospital. My wife got nervous, rightfully so, and I went for the test. Luckily it came back negative but it was pretty uncomfortable being in there for a minute. But no nose bleeds or discomfort after 5-10 minutes.

Well damn! It sounds easy enough. Thats a bit of a buzz killer

I’m sorry. I debated telling you or not but after seeing my wife suffer I had to say something. She is sort of a wuss though so hopefully your experience is better.

Back