Live from the stand 2016!

3ff906fe9ae9faa5f977f7c2eae4042b.jpg

When I dressed her I cut the milk bag and she was dry as a bone. She has not had any fawns in the past 4 years that I know of and not sure how long before that.

When I was on my way back toward camp in my truck I noticed crows really working something over on the ground in a hollow so I stopped to check it out...

de136c49fda332c96526b8ed77ccf55c.jpg

6d370c68e0f1a479bd3076cf8447563c.jpg

Looks like someone shot this last week and couldn't find it. I have never seen this buck in person or on camera. It was on our deer lease...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold ML season. Wind chills stayed at zero w temps in the teens. Does moved good but mature bucks were Jst stubborn. Today last day ML season. I'm already getting depressed as hunt season is winding down.
ae7affbc184a3ce0453580fff5ccc20f.jpg

Still hunted today. Took me an hour to go 100 yds. Payed off with choice of 5 does. Took the fatest at 80 yds with the smoke pole. Technology. Is it really even a muzzleloader anymore. Freezer with 3 deer makes for good cookin.
336c3a044d284ab2632e41015bee2ba2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I argued with myself this morning.....do I get up? Wind is whipping around and step outside the camper and of course it's drizzling. Yet here I sit lol
Every time the wind blows it feels like someone throws a cup of water on me

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I argued with myself this morning.....do I get up? Wind is whipping around and step outside the camper and of course it's drizzling. Yet here I sit lol

Now that's hard core hunting. At least its not freezing with this wind. I like a good breeze to keep scent away but hunting in a steady 30mph wind is tough.
Good luck

Deer were out in our backyard but they were really spooky! Wind is ripping here. First morning I have had off since October 1st that I haven't been in a stand...feels weird!

Last edited:
Now that's hard core hunting. At least its not freezing with this wind. I like a good breeze to keep scent away but hunting in a steady 30mph wind is tough.
Good luck

What did I see? 17 red angus heifers and 9 calves.
I have got to do something about these cows. They came from the exact direction the deer should come from. Wind was perfect this morning too.

Big deep breath. Time to have a talk with the wife about plan B with our cows. Getting rid of them is not an option btw.

What did I see? 17 red angus heifers and 9 calves.
I have got to do something about these cows. They came from the exact direction the deer should come from. Wind was perfect this morning too.

Big deep breath. Time to have a talk with the wife about plan B with our cows. Getting rid of them is not an option btw.

I have the same problem on my hunting lease. He has probably 20 cows on it. They sure can mess up a hunt real quick.

Well, I now have plan B. I'm blessed with enough land to be able to pull this off I think. We want to get to 40 head eventually. Right now we are at 28 with all the calves too. Basically they all stay in our south pasture of 225 acres. They spend MOST of their time in the timber unfortunately. We have a separate section that makes up the north half of our land. The north half is not fenced in right now, which is why we don't currently use it. I'm going to use an electric fence and keep them penned in on about 60 acres on the north end. So when September rolls around, i'm going to move our herd from the south pasture to the north pasture.....leaving the south pasture to me and the deer :) Problem solved.
September-March the cows will live on the north 60 acres. April-August they will be back to the south. I think it will work.

Mitch,

Would it make sense to divide the south 225 into two parts? That would give you three cattle lots.

You do know our college football teams are playing in the Music City Bowl. It is your good luck - our team is on the decline at the current time. Be like a home game for the Vols but the last game we played in Nashville we got whipped badly.

Wayne

Here is the plan.....the 200 acres or so to the far south is where they are now. They go down into the timber which is where my stands are. That long skinny section in yellow is where they will be moved to in the fall/winter. We will have to provide hay but we would do that anyway. That little section to the far north is where a behemoth buck resides and will be off-limits 100% of the time to all cows too.

Last edited:
Mitch,

Would it make sense to divide the south 225 into two parts? That would give you three cattle lots.

You do know our college football teams are playing in the Music City Bowl. It is your good luck - our team is on the decline at the current time. Be like a home game for the Vols but the last game we played in Nashville we got whipped badly.

Wayne

Yeah Wayne, I saw that. Nebraska's defense is just awful these days. If they don't score 40, they won't have a chance. And if Armstrong doesn't play, they won't score 40

Well today starts another 10 day rifle onslaught of antlerless deer in our state and a bunch of our nice bucks that survived the 16 day rifle onslaught a couple weeks ago won't make it through this one. I am going to try and bowhunt when I can and I will take my grandson out with his rifle when we get the right wind condition/temperature conditions to hunt on Home 10. Our day here started at 29 degrees and is supposed to be a windy upper 50's by midnight tonight and then begin to fall around 4:30 - 5:00 AM with a huge actic blast moving in with 30+ MPH winds. Temps will be 20's by late evening tomorrow and single digits overnight Saturday night with a chance of light blowing snow. Sunday will be in the teens for a high...

Any Okies going to be out looking to snag a late season rifle doe? If you have any food whatsoever they will be easy pickings if you can handle the elements!

Got a school function to do this morning then going down to put doe in freezer with my 44 mag pistol hopefully. 4 deg this morn so kinda glad I had an excuse to sleep in.

Back